Jambands.ca

'Slowcoaster' + 'Noises from the Toolshed'

Stoolshed

Canadian Coastal Music Ambassadors Cape Breton’s SLOWCOASTER and Victoria’s NOISES FROM THE TOOLSHED visit one another’s neighborhoods during 14 date October tour.

“(Slowcoaster’s) mix of rock, pop, reggae and funk guarantees an evening of fun, while also ensuring you won’t hear anything else like it around.†– Stephen Cooke, Halifax Herald

“Beyond category, (Noises From the Toolshed’s) thoroughly entertaining collection of original material ... brings together elements of Latin, Cuban and Gypsy jazz with some off-the-wall song writing.†Edmonton Journal

In January of 2006 Cape Breton’s Slowcoaster and Victoria, BC’s Noises From the Toolshed teamed up for a wildly successful 12 date tour of both the West Coast and Maritime Provinces. Fans of improvisational music lined up at sold out venues to take in the unique and explosive combination of Slowcoaster’s irresistibly catchy, undeniably danceable funk and reggae songs and Noises From the Toolshed’s virtuosic instrumental performances, lush soundscapes interspersed with intelligent vocals, and infectious grooves and hooks. Now the two bands have planned a 14 date repeat performance for October 2006 that will see them travel British Columbia and Alberta during the first two weeks of the month before returning to the east coast the week before Halloween.

October 5th - Garage Showroom (Duncan BC)

October 6th - Steamer’s Pub (Victoria, BC)

October 7th - Fairview Pub (Vancouver, BC)

October 11th - Canmore Hotel (Canmore AB)

October 12th - The Rose and Crown (Banff AB)

October 13th - Vern’s (Calgary, AB)

October 14th - The Sidetrack Café (Edmonton, AB)

October 15th - The Tongue n Groove (Lethbridge)

October 24th - The Jester’s Court (Fredericton, NB)

October 25th - The Paramount (Moncton, NB)

October 26th - Nep-Tunes (Saint John, NB)

October 27th - Myron’s (Charlottetown, PE)

October 28th - The Marquee (Halifax, NS)

Slowcoaster was honored with the “Alternative Album of the Year†award during this February’s East Coast Music Awards and the “Alternative Group of the Year†during Nova Scotia Music Week in November of 2005. The band has been featured at well-known festivals like the Vancouver International Jazz Festival, Stan Rogers Festival (Canso, NS), Evolve Festival (Antigonish County, NS), the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival (Fredericton, NB), the Peace-A-Chord (St. John's, NL), and the Shoreline Festival (Prince Edward Island).

Noises From the Toolshed are poised to be Canada’s next break-out electric progressive jazz

project. From Victoria BC, these west coast musicians are creating a large buzz, playing a blend of gypsy jazz, hard bop, and New Orleans zydeco/funk with occasional politically charged lyrics. Driven forward by virtuosic instrumental performance, their energetic live shows have earned standing ovations throughout numerous national tours while sharing stages with John Scofield, Antibalas, Jim Byrnes, Zubot and Dawson, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Jackie Washington, Little Feat, Ritchie Havens and Spearhead.

www.houseofrock.ca/slowcoaster

www.stephenfranke.ca

Actually, we had ontario dates set up. We were at the Gladstone Hotel on Friday October 20 and at the Rainbow in Ottawa on Saturday October 21st. Unfortunately, those are the same dates as JSB's CD release shows, and we didn't want to play in the same cities on the same nights as someone's CD release so we cancelled. I'd hate it if someone did it on ours. Especially unfortunate for us though, as we had this stuff booked 4-6 months ago and we hardly ever get a chance to come out because of the friggin kilometres. If only there was better thought and communication between promoters and bands (I egotistically do not include the Toolshed in the statement-most often people have heard far too much from me).

As for Ontario being where the bread's at? Sorry, but no. It's potentially the most necessary place to play, a cultural hub, and great exposure and we love it, but a money loser everytime, unless you live in SoOn. The maritimes and Alberta are the biggest money makers, that is until you're on the cover of Now magazine. Then you're world famous.

We're coming out to do makeup dates in March. Can't wait. Plus go see the Rheos. If only everything wasn't so damn far from victoria.

Looking forward to seeing all of you out there Dave!

Canned Beats: I shouldn't say money loser everytime. It's more than that. It's just that it's hard for band's to get established in Ontario at first, if they're from somewhere else. Midweek gigs are typically low paying, and it's hard to get people out to small shows. Big cities love the big acts, etc., and there's also many other reasons for all of this, but in places like the Maritimes, everyone knows each other, so things take off a little quicker. As well, the live scene thrives out there, as it does in Alberta too (believe it or not - what'll C-towns have to say about that?). Once bands are established, it seems Ontario becomes a GREAT place to play because big population=many people to go to shows if you can get the word out.

Plus of course, the drinking factor.

Sorry Shane, we're pretty much fully Christian and we're not into drugs at all. In fact God is our only true friend. Hence going to Amsterdam would be visiting the devil in his own domain, and that would be wrong.

I actually believe this about you guys, but I'm disappointed that you lack the courage of your convictions: I'd think that a true full Christian (especially an evangelical one, though I don't know that you guys are evangelical) would actually want to go to a place like Amsterdam, to not only visit but confront the Devil in his own domain ("in the belly of the beast", so to speak), and try to save as many of the people who (unwittingly, a lot of them, I'm sure) have been cast under his spell. Yes, it'd be difficult, and not all who would engage in such a venture would survive (and some of them would succumb to quite horrible fates, I'm sure), but giving one's life for such a cause must surely be a worthy cause.

Aloha,

Brad

Screw it. You're right Brad. I'm gonna get me a squirt gun filled with holy water and a bevy of young catholic girls, all in those little uniforms.

You mean with the black patent leather shoes, really reflecting up? Yeah, temptation might ensue.

You could get altar boys instead...uh, maybe not...

Aloha,

Brad