Jambands.ca

Going to California ....(San Fran)

M

So, I'm heading to San Francisco next Tuesday for some fun... wanna see where hippies come from ;)

:thumbup:

So far I've got planned: Haight Ashbury; Muir Woods; I'm doing a drive to I think it's Carmel & also Napa Valley winery tour. Music-wise I'm seeing the Stills w/ Land of Talk one night, and the Killers on another night.

Any tips / suggestions from folks that have been there on places to see / eat / drink?

will you be there next weekend M ???

if so, i highly recommend you get a dose of DSO at the legendary...

thum-pic1.jpg

Dark Star Orchestra

Thu Oct 05 - Fillmore Auditorium

Fri Oct 06 - Fillmore Auditorium

Sat Oct 07 - Fillmore Auditorium

1805 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA

and tell them bones says hello :)

i love San Fran

the architecture and plants there are really cool

have a great trip

Thats super M! :)

Gawd I spent 4 months living there...but that was over a decade ago now...memory fails large.

I do remember doing what Basher suggests in regards to going up the hills west for a sweet view.

I remember Haight Ashbury being incredibly dissappointing...but probably sumin ya just gotta do anyways...

Mostly I remember that San Fran is a really fucking cool assed city!!!

Have an awesome time lady! :):):)

San Francisco has got the best shopping I have ever seen in the world. I am far from being a shopper but I've never seen so many cool things in one city. Check out Ameoba Records in Haight Ashbury. Best record store I have ever visited. Plus they sell all of the Fillmore posters.

It was also nice to visit Alcatraz when you know you can leave.

do the whole pier 39 walk too.. try to avoid it though on a weekend as it's super touristy.. but the street vendors down there are something else. the bushman is hilarious. he's just a guy who hangs out behind a bush and jumps out at people walking by.. it's pretty funny, actually!

carmel is absolutely beautiful.. probably one of the most beautiful spots i've ever seen in the US. you'll love it. take the coastal highway 1 down instead of the 101... it's much more scenic. if you're in Carmel go to Monterey and stop at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's the largest aquarium in the USA (i believe) and has a spectacular (no, really) jelly fish exhibit.. i could stand in there for hours and watch those things. Also in the area is 17 mile drive (the richest real estate zip code in America) cruise down it to head to Pebble Beach or just to check out some crazily beautiful houses. Clint Eastwood lives down there.

the best though is BIG SUR.. if you've got a chance to do some camping.. hit this spot up.. it's absolutely lovely!!

and get ready to drink some smoothies.. for every tim horton's in ontario, there's 10 smoothie bars in california!

:) have fun!

but the street vendors down there are something else. the bushman is hilarious. he's just a guy who hangs out behind a bush and jumps out at people walking by.. it's pretty funny, actually!

[=quote]

How long has that guy been there?

I saw him like 5 or 6 years ago and thought it was funny. It didn't seem like the type of thing one could keep up for several years and make a living on. Who Knew?

The Pier is pretty cool though. The sealions are amazing.

Edited by Guest

i think he's been there for like... ever. he's kind of a legend out there now.. i think. on weekends tons of people line up on the other side of the street and watch as unknown passers get the shit scared out of them.. haha. it is funny.

yah the sealions are cool too. squawkers!

M, I've never been, so I don't have any advice but I hope you have an awesome time nonetheless.

It was great seeing you at Pepperjacks the other night. It had been way too long. Thanks for your kind words! I look forward to crossing paths again.

In the meantime, be safe and have a blast!!

Cheers,sara

some great suggestions, people here know that city. for sure, Fisherman's Wharf (pier 39) - have lobster bisque in a bread bowl or salt water taffy while you watch the crazy guy. lombard street (the twisty windy road). the Presidio, drive around a bit. GG Bridge (you can see from the pier) and/or the Bay Bridge - good backdrops for pics. Muir Woods is spectacular and worth the drive. So is Carmel / Monterrey - but these drives will take up a big portion of your day, so choose carefully.

if this is your first trip to SF, yeah, wander up to Haight-Ashbury - but dont expect much, its not all that impressive now other than the history and a few shops. the Castro is the very colourful gay area, and is worth wandering down to as well.

LOTS to do in SF, so you will not be bored. just wandering around looking at buildings is fun. be sure to take your camera. and its absolutely imperative that you bring rain gear. just assume that it will rain and be cool. oh, and maps are very deceiving - they dont take into account the brutal hills. the public transit system there is world class, use it.

you should chack out point lobos state park when you drive to carmel. it's only about a mile or so further south on hwy 1. It's one of the most beautiful places I've been. you'll see lots of seals and sea otters, pelicans and other sea birds, but watchout for the poison oak, there's lots of it out in cali. if you know how to scuba dive, pt. lobos' kelp forests are supposedly one of the best places in the world for diving.