Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome. Both pieces are from today. First off, we have this article:

Kirke: MAPLE LEAFS LIKELY TO FOLLOW RED WINGS' MODEL on the TSN website.

But check this out from Steve Simmons in an article praising Red Wings scout Hakan Andersson:

When Scotty Bowman considered leaving the Red Wings for a position with the Maple Leafs last summer, he wanted to take Andersson with him. Bowman asked the scout how much money he made and offered to almost double it.

Good job spinning those wheels.

How assed-backwards do the Leafs remain?

Shouldn't they hire a GM first and let him decide if he wants to "follow the Red Wings model"?

Shouldn't they hire a GM first and let him hire his own staff? Let him decide if he wants to work with Joe Nieuwendyk??

MLSE is making the Ballard years' organization look like IBM. (I stole that line from Bill Waters).

What are the odds Fletcher is staying on for the year until Burke is available? That could be the motivation behind this move.

I have heard that. Some peeps think Wilson is also Burkes guy and that are hiring him ahead of Burke. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Some peeps think Wilson is also Burkes guy and that are hiring him ahead of Burke. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Yup, that seems to be the word today. Fletcher has said that he will remain in the GM role for the season if need be. Burke's wife has already stepped down from her position at CBC Vancouver anticipating a move. I can't see them hiring a coach before a GM without something up their sleeve. Still can't trust rumours completely though.

the new coach can use email. plan the parade now, folks.

Ron Wilson, fired by the San Jose Sharks, has agreed to take over as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"Ron and I have a verbal deal that we're going to forward and he will be the coach," Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher said Sunday.

Fletcher was reached in Phoenix, and said the official contract – believed to be for four years – would be signed this week, probably Tuesday.

"I think he'll do a great job," said Fletcher. He's got a great track record, I fully believe he's the right man for the job at this time," said Fletcher.

"He's one of the most experienced coaches in the business. He's on the cutting edge when it comes to using computers and coaching. But more importantly is his track record of working with young players, which will be the key for us moving forward."

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Oh, goody! A full year of the Toronto media's favorite

guessing game, "Who Wants To Be the Toronto Maple Leafs New GM?" Don't

expect me to keep track of it, as there'll be no more reports on this

site about who might be hired until the day they actually hire

Fletcher's replacement. At least they've acknowledged that no one in the

Detroit Red Wings management team wants the job. Oh, and for those Leafs

fans who believe I'm dumping on your team, spare me your angry e-mails.

I don't hate your team, or the city of Toronto, or you, for that matter.

I'm just fed up with seeing your franchise - once among the most storied

inthe NHL - being run into the ground by incompetent ownership more

interested in taking your money than in building a champion. The current

bunch isn't Ballard revisited, no, they're a special brand of

incompetent all their own. This isn't funny, it's sad, and you Leafs

fans deserve better.