paisley

Friday August 1

Pepperjack Cafe

38 King William Street

Hamilton

905 525 6666

Celebration of Jerry Garcia

Admission: FREE!!

Door Prize: WIN 2 tickets to see the Dead at Darien!! ($2 tickets for the raffle, proceeds to Heart Hamilton children's charity)

Featuring: 3 acoustic sets starting EARLY (9 pm) in the following order

~ Uncle Seth

~ Dr. Huxtable

~ Rose Garland

and from 11:30 until close

~ Gratefully Deadicated Sound System spinnin smokin Jerry and Dead shows

Hey Now!!! [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

(bring a candle!)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just one question: Why aren't the bands playing the whole night? I mean, I know that Rory spins killer tunes but wouldn't we all rather hear a live band jamming out the Jerry tunes? I know that I would.

Any other opinions?

Love and peace!

(Looking forward to Friday!)

quote:

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

Just one question: Why aren't the bands playing the whole night? I mean, I know that Rory spins killer tunes but wouldn't we all rather hear a live band jamming out the Jerry tunes? I know that I would.

naw Willy, I'm really looking forward to the live bands but once the party is rockin I'll be itch'n for some phat rare Garcia to get down to...

its the man's birthday and we're having a party for him! [Razz]

(Ken orchestrated the events, he's been planning this one for some time now... gonna be a blast!)

[big Grin]

Did you mean Soulshine? LOL

Well, let me see here. If we were to ask Jerry what he would prefer for his birthday; old recordings of him, or a band interpreting his songs in a new and wonderful was, what do you think he'd say?

I think he'd say: Let the music play!

However, I'm obviously outnumbered by everyone else. [Frown] That's the story of my life. [Wink] I want the live music to last as long as possible because I know I'll be up the whole night long listening to recorded stuff after Ken closes.

I am sure of one thing: It's going to be a hell of a lot of fun! I'm ready! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

Well, let me see here. If we were to ask Jerry what he would prefer for his birthday; old recordings of him, or a band interpreting his songs in a new and wonderful was, what do you think he'd say?

I think he'd say: Let the music play!

Who are you, Mickey Hart?!? [Wink][Wink]

Either way, it's going to be a blast.

Coming up and doing a few tunes feels like a great excuse to come to Hamilton (first time ever) and give'er for Jerry with all of you Hammy's.

I love having live music - especially acoustic acts - all night, but it's going to be great to be able to chat, drink and let my attention stay off the stage. When a band's playing, listening and dancing keeps me from the socializing, but if I do end up in a conversation while a band's playing, I feel really guilty.

quote:

Sittin in Mangrove valley chasing light beams

Everything wanders from baby to Z

Baby Baby pretty it up on Tuesday Old like a rum-drinking demon at tea.

Baby Baby tell me what's the matter, what, what tell me what's your why how?

Tell me why will you never come home

Tell me what's your reason, if you've got a good one.

Everywhere I go, the people all know Everyone's doin' that rag.

Everywhere I go, the people all know Everyone's doin' that rag.

Nothin' left to do but smile [big Grin] smile [big Grin] smile [big Grin]

I'm getting really excited to return to the Hammer and see you all. We have a short-but-sweet setlist planned and I can't wait to see Rose Garland, and the Seths again. GDSS is going to be great.

Willy, the live music can continue back at your place. No worries, you'll get your fill. [Razz]

If you've never heard Rory spin, you're in for a real treat! I mean, how often do you get to hang with your friends at a great bar, chill and talk (or dance), with incredible Dead/Jerry jams spinning endlessly?!?

I'm looking forward to the entire evening! Does it *really* start at 9pm? C'mon, stoners, it's not even dark out yet at that time..... [Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

Either way, it's going to be a blast.

Coming up and doing a few tunes feels like a great excuse to come to Hamilton (first time ever) and give'er for Jerry with all of you Hammy's.

Watch yer feet!!! Time to bowl a few frames

C-ya there [big Grin]

the word is 9 for sure (the paper says 8)

I said Rory will start around 11:30 but that'll likely be more like 12 (gotta raffle off those Darien tickets! remember the last raffle at PJC? [Eek!] )

Yeah, its gonna nice being able to be socialable n drink n dance and the only person with responsibility will be Rory keepin the shows flowin...

Jerry came to me in a dream last night and said "The bands should get to party too!" [Wink]

Woohoo!! gettin awful happy here!! [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

[Tomorrow] is the birthday of the late Jerry Garcia (given name: Jerome John Garcia), hippie icon and bearded frontman for the Grateful Dead, who was born in San Francisco, Calif. He would have been 55.

The Grateful Dead are known not only as the granddaddies of 1960s psychedelic bands, but as the purveyors and representatives of cultural movements such as the summer of love, Woodstock and hippies. Formed in 1965 in San Francisco -- not long after the Beat movement had died down, and just two years before the official Summer of Love -- the band included singer/ guitarist Garcia, guitarist Bob Weir, drummer Bill Sommers (who was soon replaced by Mickey Hart), keyboardist Ron "Pigpen" McKearnan and bassist Phil Lesh. The group took influences from all over -- rock, country, folk and blues -- for landmark albums such as 1969's Aoxomoxoa, 1970's Workingman's Dead and 1977's Terrapin Station.

Garcia began learning to play guitar around age 15, and spent some time in the U.S. Army before returning to the San Francisco area and hooking up with poet Robert Hunter, who would eventually become the Grateful Dead's lyricist. Garcia played with a number of acts before finding the musicians who would become the Warlocks (and later the Grateful Dead). Before they landed a record deal, they were the house band at Ken Kesey's Acid Tests and lived on the now-infamous Ashbury Street in the Haight. By 1967, they were regulars at the Avalon and Carousel Ballrooms as well as promoter Bill Graham's Fillmore West. Although the Dead's albums sold well, it was their live shows that did the selling. The band toured practically nonstop from its inception, attracting legions of long-haired, peace-minded men and women who came to be known as Deadheads. Many followed the Dead around the country for years. The first tragedy struck the band in 1973, when the alcoholic Pigpen died of liver disease. He was replaced by Keith Godchaux, who also died a year later; Brent Mydland eventually took his place.

The group was nearly splintered by side projects in the mid-1970s, but reformed soon enough to make Terrapin Station. Go To Heaven included a number of the Dead's long-standing hits, such as the countryish "Truckin’” and "Uncle John's Band". The Dead went full-steam until the mid-1980s, when they took another hiatus. This was due in part to Garcia's collapse; his rock 'n' roll lifestyle (especially his heroin addiction) was taking its toll not only on his health, but on the band. Garcia went into a diabetic coma, but seemed to recover fully. When the band regrouped, their tours were marked by increased violence between fans and police. They also toured with folk-rocker Bob Dylan, a stint which has been commemorated on the 1989 album Dylan and the Dead.

In 1990 Mydland died of an overdose of cocaine and heroin, and ex-Tubes keyboardist Vince Welnick took over (on occasion, pianist Bruce Hornsby joined them instead). The Dead didn't release a lot of new material in the 1990s; most of their records from this time were previously-unreleased material. Again in 1992 Garcia's diabetes brought him down, and when he regained his health he was forced into a strict regimen of diet and exercise. In addition to continuing work with the Dead, Garcia had begun pursuing artistic avenues such as painting. His collection of designer neckties -- just right for the '60s-hippies-turned-businessmen -- was quite successful.

On Aug. 9, 1995, Garcia died in his sleep at a drug treatment facility in Northern California. He'd been admitted to battle his continued heroin addiction, although a heart attack was given as the cause of Garcia's death. Mourners flooded the streets all over the nation, especially in San Francisco. The rest of the Dead decided to disband, choosing to focus on long-standing solo projects instead.

RIP Jerry! [Frown]

Archived