Jambands.ca

DSO

Ekletcic

I've seen them and was very impressed; funny that they're on the Archive, though.

Every DSO discussion I've ever seen online (and I come across at least one per week), involves people saying that they cost "way too much" for a "cover band." Personally, I think they're worth every dime: I see it as the price you pay to be entertained by stellar musicians, and I don't really care if they didn't write the music. And, despite what the haters would have you believe, there's plenty of creativity in a DSO show.

It's not like a "cover band" in the "Mr. Jones -> Cecilia -> Brown Eyed Girl -> (insert Tom Cochrane/Kim Mitchell/Trooper song here)" sense. It's a great show put on by great musicians. Period. There's also nothing else like them going (as far as I know).

Imagine if a group of otherwise anonymous actors decided to recreate every episode of M*A*S*H* and you were charged $25 per episode to watch. Occasionally Jamie Farr makes an appearance to reprise his old role.

Fair enough, but given that M*A*S*H isn't something you ever had to pay for in the first place, and that the "real thing" is still around (it's a TV show, after all), that doesn't hold much water. Entertaining analogy, though.

sweet..a thread on DSO that I didn't start

they are fUcking INCREDIBLE :) there I said it again!

Lots of former members of The Grateful Dead have jammed with them before, ie: Bobby (a few times), Billy, Donna, Vince, Tom Constanten...

They have never played Canada, but are playing their first shows outside of the USA in March over in Amsterdam Jam In The Dam

They are worth every cent of the ticket price.

I find it funny that The Musical Box or The Australian Pink Floyd Show can play Massey Hall and no one claims that to be an over priced cover band show.

(ie):

The Australian Pink Floyd Show

December 1, 2006 8:00 PM

Massey Hall

Ticket Sales Begin:

October 13, 2006 10:00 AM

FriendsFirst Ticket Sales Begin:

October 11, 2006 10:00 AM

$49.50 - $29.50

The Musical Box

Selling England by the Pound

December 2, 2006 8:00 PM

Massey Hall

Ticket Sales Begin:

August 14, 2006 10:00 AM

FriendsFirst Ticket Sales Begin:

August 8, 2006 10:00 AM

$72.50 - $51.00

to each their own though...

06100511.jpg

Bobby jams with DSO (Oct.5th, 2006)

DSO

I find it funny that The Musical Box or The Australian Pink Floyd Show can play Massey Hall and no one claims that to be an over priced cover band show.

I'm always complaining to Ollie about the Musical Box, prices and his choice to go see them over The Slip, despite the fact that he's seen Musical Box over 50 times. YEESH! GRRR!

I'm busting up right now at the story they had immediately following DSO on that news show. Priceless.

That aside, I thought that was an incredible piece. I was especially a fan of how it segued between clips of the Dead to DSO as a means of illustrating the similarities. It seemed like a really thoughtful piece, all around.

Thanks for sharing, Cowboy.

saw them in philly and was very impressed and a little put off by how much and how well they can recreate the dead sound. The guy "playing" Jerry, sounds exactly like Jerry and plays exactly like Jerry (IMO). The guy "playing" Bobby sounds exactly like Bobby and plays exactly like Bobby (IMO). Kinda fucking weird in that holy crap I'm watching a bloody good cover band kinda way.

The Bobby is a remarkably convincing Bobby, only he's a better singer than Bobby is/was.

That'd be Rob Eaton. Great guy. He was one of the tapers with some serious "connections" for Dead tapes in the past. I was lucky enough to have become friends with him via the Section 7 section on Rocknet (Compuserve) back in the early 90s. Was able to get some of the sweetest tapes around back then. He had a great band based in NJ called Border Legion. Best thing you could see in terms of a "Dead" tribute band before DSO, IMHO. Good times.

Rob is a talented sound engineer and has worked with many talented people:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0bfqxqw5ldhe~T4

Rob has told me that the only reason that they have not hit a Canadian date is that one member of the band would have "issues" at the border. DOn't konw if that means going in, or going back, but it's a bummer :(

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

I hear what all of you are saying about the band, some like them and some dont, some think they cost to much to see as a fan and others just think its to expensive to bring them. I wonder if thats true or not.

If they play in Canada I know I'm going to the show.

Do you think many people will go and where will they play in Toronto that is ? It could be like Dead tour again, go see three dates in Canada, anyone need a ride......

Fantastic musicians playing fantastic music is the bottom line here. I loved the show that I saw(thanks again cowboy :) ), and I don't give 2 shits for any of the "cover band" shit that people may spout. Don't let that talk discourage you if you are thinking of going! You may enjoy yourself as much as cowboy or myself.

I like reading most of MarcO's posts, but that was a terrible analogy imo(sorry man ;) ).

Edited by Guest

I'm always complaining to Ollie about the Musical Box' date=' prices and his choice to go see them over The Slip, despite the fact that he's seen Musical Box over 50 times. YEESH! GRRR!

[/quote']

1. I bought my ticket for The Musical Box almost a year ago.

2. I think their ticket prices are outrageously overpriced which is why I no longer travel to Toronto to see them.

3. The Slip are overrated. ;)

Do you think many people will go and where will they play in Toronto that is ?

I know people would come out to see them!

When I win the Princess Margaret Hospital Lottery, I'm going to book them for 3 nights at the Elmocambo as Terrapin Nation and 1 night at Massey Hall as DSO :)

I don't think a band member has border issues. Crew members in the past have had border issues (Tiny, Situation Pete), however they have both retired.

This will make a lot of Canadians laugh, but I think one concern is the thought of going without nuggets for a spell...hahahaha

Another is that they believe they will lose money coming up here for some shows.

Hey Punk...you are so welcome, that was a shroomy good night a few years ago ;)

Rochester last week