Jambands.ca

Another Slip Interview

bouche

Aversion.com

I like the interview comments, but this writer is unfairly generalizing and categorizing jambands and fans into some terrible little world.

It's indicative of a sea change for the Boston trio, a trio that at one point headlined a Jambands.com tour, recorded its debut for a label run by the Allman Brothers' drummer and shared the stage with just about every annoying gaggle jam-band hippies between Delaware and Boulder, Colo. It's a declaration that hints that The Slip's finally, once and for all, given up the silly little world of hemp-powered, tye-dyed love-ins.
The effort, which was recorded by the band in its home studio, washes away the final traces of jazz-hippie improvisation, mountain-funk, world-beat nonsense that colored the band's previous efforts for a stab at good, hearty indie rock.
Gone are the days of noodling for nine minutes, wanking on faux-jazz improvisational bents to the delight of a stoned fan base.

I can't read anymore....the guy took advantage of Brad's words to trash musicians and fans.

"nine-minutes of noodling" - is an amateur comment.

"a stab at good, hearty indie rock" - this claims that their music wasn't good before.

All of his comments are just hate-filled snobbery in full action. He could learn a thing or two from the silly little world of hemp-powered, tye-dyed love-ins. Honestly, where are all these hemp-powered tye-dyed love-ins?

All of his comments are just hate-filled snobbery in full action. He could learn a thing or two from the silly little world of hemp-powered, tye-dyed love-ins. Honestly, where are all these hemp-powered tye-dyed love-ins?

Yeah, he's really pandering to his audience. The article is as much an attack on jambands as it is about The Slip and as such is a disservice.

I don't know I think the guy is about as biased in the direction of indie rock as I am in the direction against. Like it's well written but he's got more of an axe to grind and he's sort of shaping the material to suit his purposes. Although everything he's describing is happening on some level or other. I'd write like the mirror opposite of this piece.

This is rubbish:

If Eisenhower blindsided you, it's probably time to pay more attention to the music and less to firing up the bong in the parking lot.

This is incredibly sound and I'll probably quote it. It's actually sort of remarkable that he just out and says it:

The stigma attached to the jam nation's an even bigger obstacle: Until recently, music listeners vetoed jam bands by rule.

The ending is great too though this album is clearly not indie rock through and through:

"Take for example, a festival like Bonnaroo," Brad says. "There is kind of a marriage these days of the jam scene and the rock scene. Look at Bonaroo, which, dare I say, is kind of built on the jam reputation. They support Sonic Youth, Ben Kweller, Radiohead. The best in the world. Wilco and My Morning Jacket. My Morning Jacket kind of personifies it perfectly. They've been there every year. They're tied into the fabric of Bonnaroo, where they represent that scene, where it's between jam and indie. It's kind of a prevalent nature of the music these days."

The Slip's roots might lie in the jam world, but they certainly don't show up on Eisenhower. It's indie pop all the way from start to finish, a feat that leads the band to deliver an impressive first step down a new creative avenue. Here's to starting over.

[color:purple]It's gonna be ok though because jam-heads are known for their thick skins in the face of criticism!

:: paints fingernails black ::

You could be the #1 fan of the emo/jam fusion band I'm putting together, provided you get that dark blue haircut that covers half your face in an asymmetric triangle kind of way.

Aloha,

Brad

Meh, not much of a review and that axe he's grinding could cut another, more expensive axe in half given the blade. I think it speaks more to a general lack of substance on either Indie or Jam music to really give it much more than a passing glance. I see they've got an RSS feed to celebrity gossip on the front page so that's always a sign of true journalistic integrity.

How fucking boring this series of press interviews has been.. I love the Slip. I think they are a RocknRoll band. I hope they are feeling a fire that will see them produce lots of great music over the next while.. and its also great they are finding stride playing to a new scene, but to say they never felt akin to the Jam scene seems like a convienent non-truth.

Shouldnt need to hate, to relate. I think. These writers are as cliched as most of the ´jambands´ they describe.

Yes, I've heard these kind of comments before:

"This style of music is better than that style music."

"I used to be into that but I've moved on to something better."

"I'm better than you because I listen to this and you listen to that."

"Only certain kinds of people listen to that style of music, and they are inferior to me and just don't know as much as I do."

Whatever. [color:purple]I also know that jam is dead, because I keep reading that on jamband websites. I guess there's nothing left to do but smile smile smile.

Peace, Mark

I think I'll noodle on my guitar now to help me get over the terrible news ... :)

Edited by Guest
oops, forgot the purple

I don't exactly cry crocodile tears over the lost love with Slip and the so-called jamband crowd. I think one take I might try on them today is whether they're mistaking 'tape trading' with 'jambands' or 'heads' - I don't know if that's too subtle a distinction.

It's like to say- well seriously heads and tapers have been some of the few people to support this band through some darkish times (that's worth something- I don't know if that all amounts to simply jamband wankery.

I managed never to use the 'j' word in the interview. I didn't want to get hung up on this constant referencing to the jamband thing. It's relevant but not really the point.

We talked more about the album, the songs on the album the composition of the songs, their recording etc.

actually, all kidding aside, I think it was a revealing interview and I respect The Slip for pursuing their vision even if it alienates their core base. The writer may be at times petty but most of his criticisms are spot on.

I agree with most of this MarcO, especially the part about respecting the Slip for pursuing their vision. The writer's comments annoy me because they remind me of comments I used to hear from some people 15 years ago when they found out that I was into the Dead ... hippie love-in's, music for stoned people, aimless noodling, etc. Here we are, 15 years later, and the song remains the same in so many ways. And for the most part it's not the song/criticisms that bug me, but the tone of the song - what you mean by being petty I think.

I managed never to use the 'j' word in the interview. I didn't want to get hung up on this constant referencing to the jamband thing. It's relevant but not really the point.

We talked more about the album, the songs on the album the composition of the songs, their recording etc.

A good call I think Luke. I imagine that the band would rather talk more about the album, the songs on the album, etc. than about the whole "we are or aren't or used to be or didn't used to be one of those bands."

Peace, Mark