Jambands.ca

Backstage stories?

Chewie

Laurie, I believe it was 2001. Your sis saved me from a terrible expirence that night.

Anyway, heres one I'll never forget...

In 1988 at Copps colosseum (july 11th I believe) my girlfriend at the time & I scored 7th row floors for Dylan, while having a smoke outside before the show we ran into a buddy of my fathers who he worked with (electrician) and he was saying he was working there as the electrical foreman that evening. So I bugged the shit outta him to get us back stage or as close to back stage as he could. He doubted it but said he'd try.

Anyway, we told him our seat numbers not figuring it would happen & sure enough sometime during the last quarter of the show we got asked to follow the security guy, we were seriously stoned by this point and had forgot we had asked buddy to get us back stage, so thinking we were getting busted for smoking hash joints we sorta dragged our feet hoping to get some distance between us & the security to make an attempt to run & hide. We saw a chance & turned the other way, the guy promptly stopped us and asked if we weren't interested in goin back stage...d'oh we remembered.

We were that close to avoiding a once in a life time chance for me to meet Dylan! We did meet him, just briefly, but long enough to stare slack jawed & shake his hand. I think I would have cried later if that guy didn't stop us..

Me and Stevie Ray Vaughan had a nice long conversation about booze and drugs (when he was clean) backstage from a show, and he was just so great and interested and talkative it'll just stand out in my mind forever.

Though my fave is likely watching gentlemonkey and Rob from moe. wrestle.

Me and Stevie Ray Vaughan had a nice long conversation about booze and drugs (when he was clean) backstage from a show, and he was just so great and interested and talkative it'll just stand out in my mind

I think you forgot to mention that you and SRV also switched hats, briefly, during that encounter, and then switched back. As a result, you didn't take off that hat for about a dozen years thereafter.

I sort of forget I have more than a handful of these stories of my own. I gues the best or earliest was being 18 yrs. old and selling weed to The Roots and getting to hang on their bus. I then got to hang backstage and met the Jungle Bros., Cypress Hill and ERYKAH BADU (who is also wicked short but mega hot). I also realized once they got on stage and were in their diapers and star child regalia that I'd smoked dope and given hash to the bulk of P Funk.

Meeting Ronnie Hawkins was probably the ultra shit for me (didn't have my hat!). But also at 14 I had met Levon Helm and Rick Danko well before he passed which was really nerve wracking. Danko was crusty as you'd expect but talked to us for a bit and Levon was so kind and guided me through the whole thing cause I hardly couldn't talk.

I was partying with edger and some P-Funk members in a trailer backstage at the Dunnville Bob's bash festival(year please edge?).

One of the members, obviously super out of it, asked ME if it was time to go on stage yet to play! Like I had a f'n clue really.

That was such a rainy, crazy night of endless partying!

A crazy, wet night it was!! That festival went on despite continuous torrential downpours and and wailing winds, tents blowing away, etc. I could have sworn it was 1999 however... I don't think I went to Bob's bash in 2001.

I think that p-funkadelian that we were hanging with was named Grady. Laur I believe that I pulled out the good ol' montana haze to pass around that night (before it met its demise). No wonder buddy didn't know what hit him...

I think your right edger, for some reason though I was thinking I put my van on the road in fall 2000 and I did drive it to that Bob's bash in question. But that wouldn't make sense seeing as you drove it in may 2000 after CTMF.

[edit to add]

My mistake, I put in on the road in fall 98 after me & Stace split up.

Edited by Guest

I had to powerwash the INSIDE of my van after that Bob's bash in question. It was not pretty.

Oh yes, I remember driving your van from CTMF to Brendon and Julia's condo in Collingwood. I remember it well. Scottie Powers giving me driving pointers the whole way...priceless...

Gavin's cousin, a session guy from LA, was the keyboard player for LIVE for a few years. We were living in Montreal in 2000 and they came through to play the Molson Centre. Big Sugar opened. We got backstage passes and were asked to bring some pot with us.

None of us were fans of the band, at all, but we figured it'd be a laugh. We showed up and got the bassist and Gav's cousin really really really baked before the show. They played the gig wearing sunglasses and were visably (to us anyway) ultra stoned. Gav and I watched from stage right, while the other guys were directly at stage level on the left. The singer, Ed, comes over during 'Lightnig Crashes' or some shit and looks at the crowd and says something like "Come on everyone, let's see you all standing on your feet and clapping your hands!". Everyone gets up... The guys said that he definately noticed the four of them not doing anything of the sort and looking quite bored... and he kind of gave them a pissed off look.

So afterwards, backstage, we're drinking all the band's Heineken and eating their rider trays. Ed shows up, notices the four assholes and their friends who sat side stage and didn't give a shit, drinking his beer, as well as being the only people in the backstage area. He says...

"Is this fuckin rock 'n roll or what? Where the fuck are all the chicks man? I just had a gay dude hitting on me in a meet and greet."

We got a pretty good kick out of it.

I like that Live story. Glad to know that even musicians poach beer off other band's riders from time to time- it's a right of passage.

Fuck now I'm trying to think of some good ones. Why do we all get the sense that M is the one to hit up for ALL of these stories. I just deleted the last thing I wrote....

I've had some great chats with Gord Downie over the years, about Camus and poetry and literature and whatnot. One great night in Halifax with Brendan Canning (now BSS) spinning house as The Champ comes to mind. Another time my very hot ex and I got into an after party (that makes sense now- the us getting in and her being very hot and the party being a sausage fest). It was literally like her playing pool with the entire Hip and me just gabbing away. Fuck she was hot.

• 8 years later...