Jambands.ca

Saddam Hussein executed

bouche

This sent a chill down the spine the instant I heard, which was just a few minutes ago. I'd venture to say that no one is in a position to say when a life must be taken, and I'd say that in front of any war, or conflict at any level. Make them find understanding, and relate it in everyone's terms, however it needs to be done, just lay it on the table, so we can all see, before something like this happens.

This won't turn out well. Yes, now it's all about the repercussions.

This sent a chill down the spine the instant I heard, which was just a few minutes ago. I'd venture to say that no one is in a position to say when a life must be taken, and I'd say that in front of any war, or conflict at any level. Make them find understanding, and relate it in everyone's terms, however it needs to be done, just lay it on the table, so we can all see, before something like this happens.

This won't turn out well. Yes, now it's all about the repercussions.

Would those be YOUR words if he set your kids on fire? Killed YOUR family? I highly doubt it! I don't like killing anymore then the next pot head but FUCK DUDE!!! It's like going to a Neo-Nazi rally and your friends saying "this dude is fucked!" and you saying "now, now... let's see where he's going with this"! Well, that's an over exageration but you get the point. This asshole should've been dead YEARS ago and even though I'm glad I don't have to pull the fuckin trigger I'm pleased SOMEONE DID!

lets not forget the whole playing field we're talking about... 300 years of civil war and atrocities, 3 relatively evenly split groups of very different belief systems who all feel they have the right to govern their homeland... Fox News tends to be a little biased... women went to school for the first time in Iraq under Saddam... unless parents can afford armed guards to get them there now, no one's kids are going to school for fear they're be kidnapped raped and sold into slavery... Bin Laden called Saddam a crime against Islam for trying to act so much like a Western country and outlawing extremist Muslim practices...

granted, if you tried to kill or topple Saddam, he retaliated way over the top... you, your family, maybe even your whole village... but the war ended for once

big problem now... a lot people were holding back thinking Saddam would somehow regain control... the free-for-all for Iraqi domination is back on... maybe modern media and a people sick and tired of fighting will change things democratically, not what I'm hearing on non-american press from the streets of Iraq

hoping I'm wrong... seriously, Iraq breaks my heart, the birthplace of humanity... but thats how all the educated minds I read and listen to see it (war correspondents, history profs, non-american militaries)... even the americans are starting to admit they're beat... the Danish took over Iraq long ago and pawned it off though it cost them large upon the English who simply abandoned it because it was just way too crazy to try and control... centuries of defiance and bad blood

the first judge who was trying Saddam and heard 80% of the evidence was fired because it was felt he favored Saddam's side of the case (why they call them "judges" I guess) and was replaced by a judge who would find him guilty... democracy at its finest

Saddam was a brutal man who brought a relative peace to a brutal struggle... I don't condone his atrocities, but I don't see a viable alternative as of yet by any means...

look up "Highway 8" in Iraq... a good start to understanding a very serious problem that can only be solved by Iraq... the Americans went after Saddam, saying he was the threat... they should have kept him... all killing him has done is tilted the power struggle again... his tribe will demand vengence and deem the people in control unfit

when I was in Toronto last week I ended up driving around for an extra hour so I could listen to Robert Fisk discuss his pretty damn incredible life experiences as a war journalist... started off talking about his dad who was a proud World War One veteran and tried to teach him the importance and necessity of war... ended off on the state of the world from the perspective of a journalist who has been on the front lines of every major conflict since the end of World War Two... hopes people will find a way to drop conflicts based on history, wipe the slate where possible and find a more sensible way of getting along

his words held a lot of weight for me because he is critical not only of Western goverment policies but also those of the Middle Eastern governments... doesn't like power hungry governments or terrorist organizations... sees the real tragedy of all conflicts being the common people shattered by these power struggles between distant decision makers (brought up how network tv tells stories of war journalists needing to be provided rehabilitation and care when millions of common people, who aren't paid like jet setter correspondents, are totally forgotten about in every conflict)... has spent his life wherever things are worst

explaining it badly, too much to go into, but highly recommend anyone who cares read:

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East

1841150088.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39855148_.jpg

Chomsky from the trenches

the comments on Amazon from other people who've read it explain it much better

I'm most freaked out about the speed at which this took place. It has nothing to do with reasons. Why the hell does Death Row take so long? I'm not asking to kill everyone with a death sentence so quickly, but this is very eery.

I just read that he was found GUILTY of one of his many super-crimes. Then, I eat a turkey, some ham and read this noose...er news.

Great Holiday news to take in...

Amazing how America has managed to "spin" this one...I was waiting for these Interviews/polls" to start happening and sure enough I finally heard one...

The people/Americans being interviewed were asked about their thoughts on Saddam being put to death for crimes against humanity and his role in terrorism to which the majority replied that he should be punished for his role in 9/11...

Seems that certain powers have succeeded in shifting focus on a failed mission in Afghanistan to shift blame on to another war which THEY began all in the name of oil...

Saddam, who was captured in December 2003 following the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, was convicted in early November of committing crimes against humanity in the slaughter of 148 Shia Muslims in the northern city of Dujail in 1982.

If anyone thinks that this is the reason that the US invaded Iraq 21 years after the fact they are sorely mistaken...

I'm not jumping on "Saddam bandwagon" or anti-corporal punishment view but this war in Iraq is a crime on humanity in so many ways...since Bush pushed his way into Iraq how many innocent lives have been lost? My guess is a few more than 148 and let's not forget that this is really all in the US quest for oil and all the contracts that go with it...

Nice way to finish off 2006 :crazy:

bomb explodes in Madrid airport and one little sentence is used to tie it to Saddam's execution:

Saturday's explosion, which came shortly after the execution of Saddam Hussein in Iraq, raised fears of a retaliatory strike in a country that has suffered attacks in response to its support for international military operations.

This is why Jon Stewart has a show. They pull this crap out of thin air.

I'm not jumping on "Saddam bandwagon" or anti-corporal punishment view but this war in Iraq is a crime on humanity in so many ways...since Bush pushed his way into Iraq how many innocent lives have been lost? My guess is a few more than 148 and let's not forget that this is really all in the US quest for oil and all the contracts that go with it...

totally agree this crazy war took a heck of a lot of lives

as for this lad ,saddam better to see him rot in public in a hot sun, with a cage around him

maybe bu=h tied at one end would help a lot with all the shi= that is going on over oil?

speaking of crimes against humanity, the pillaging of the National Museum of Iraq exemplifies how far the americans had their heads up their asses... contained within were some of the oldest treasures of humanity, artifacts from a 5000 year stretch covering the Mesopotamia period of human history, the birthplace of humanity (all of us)

what couldn't be carried out ended up smashed... some recovered artifacts were recovered in nearby countries, most were recovered in the united states... a lot of the really important stuff ended up in private collections

the erasure of one of the most important (and least studied, due to the touchy politics of the 20th century) collections of human history will be sadly mourned for the rest of time

and straight up, can-o-phish... the average american has no idea why they've financed this bloody mess of a war, they think they're chasing Bin Laden... very sad

my apologies if this has been said already but the reason it happened so fast was because when saddam appealled the verdict and they upheld it they said they'd kill him in 30 days and eid started at dawn today, and lasts a month or soemthing like that so if they didn't do it then they wouldn't be able to do it within their 30 day time limit.

Yep, so true paisley...

The invasion of Iraq is so twisted...if you stop to think about what has happened since the US decided it was time to lay waste to that country under the disguise of "anti-terrorism" it's sickening...

For starters, to the best of my knowledge, if one or more people in the US plot or conspire to kill the president, punishment includes the death sentence...not that I'm condoning Saddam's actions in Dujail but if, say, a group of 148 people got together in New York and planned to assinate the president then, if caught, they would face the death penalty...like the 148 people who tried to assasinate Saddam...that's just scratching the surface of a deep, twisted and gruesome war that should not be allowed to continue but lets face it, it's going to be bloody for quite sometime...

Saddam was the excuse the US needed to get their filthy hands on the oil fields...sure, the world is "rid" of a very evil soul, but at what cost...I don't think we'll ever know...very sad...

my apologies if this has been said already but the reason it happened so fast was because when saddam appealled the verdict and they upheld it they said they'd kill him in 30 days and eid started at dawn today, and lasts a month or soemthing like that so if they didn't do it then they wouldn't be able to do it within their 30 day time limit.

far as the Iraqi Constitution goes that ruled there would be a 30 day period... it is, what, all of 3 months ago it was rushed into being held as law... "But those are the rules.", anyone want to place a bet the law is totally re-written in the next month

keystone cops... Ollie & Stan

While this video shows how far technology has come where you can watch someone be executed within a day of the event, I don't know why people would want to watch that.

It's TOTALLY disturbing to see the last moments of someone's life.

Heed Deeps's warning.

It's TOTALLY disturbing to see the last moments of someone's life.

Heed Deeps's warning.

I used to think that capital punishments should always be broadcast on television, at least in a democracy, but on a public network so that there was no profit incentive (ie. not Pay Per View). The logic being that if someone is being executed in your name - as an individual from whom the state derives its authority - it should damn well be in your face so that you might understand the severity of what is being done and what you've asked it to do.

Public executions make a lot of sense to me that way. Not in a totalitarian state, where public executions are used as a way of terrorizing the populace into submission, and not as casual spectacle, but in a democracy where the burden of the horror should be shared collectively and solemnly if it is to happen at all.

Not sure where this fits into this discussion. Happy New Year? :)

I used to think that capital punishments should always be broadcast on television, at least in a democracy, but on a public network so that there was no profit incentive (ie. not Pay Per View). The logic being that if someone is being executed in your name - as an individual from whom the state derives its authority - it should damn well be in your face so that you might understand the severity of what is being done and what you've asked it to do.

Public executions make a lot of sense to me that way. Not in a totalitarian state, where public executions are used as a way of terrorizing the populace into submission, and not as casual spectacle, but in a democracy where the burden of the horror should be shared collectively and solemnly if it is to happen at all.

Interesting thought for sure, but where does it start? Cameras in jail cells, mental wards, halfway houses?

I like your thinking on this, it’s just too much of a slippery slope.