Midnight Hour

Donor Rap

E:Help On The Way>

Slipknot...

Franklin's Tower

@Bob acoustic

Joan lead vocal on rueben & cherise

Hunter opened, then Dylan (who ruled!)

I was really hoping for a St. Stephen, but I guess it wasn't to be!

Thats funny. I had the opposite experience. Boarder was really nice to me, staff were really nice to me. All the kids in the lot were rude, and upped their prices on everything when they saw me coming, and thought I was a scalper when I was looking for tix. Guess thats what happens when you have short hair, a clean shave, and a collar shirt at a Dead show...

Teet was right in his fashionable post...

quote:

Originally posted by piegin:

Dude that was one hell of a night... I had such eh blast. Great tunes and times 4 sure.

The only down side to that show was, the hassel at the border and the rude Darien staff that treated us so unfriendly.
[Mad][Mad][Mad]

But Ya, none the less
THE DEAD FU*KING ROCK!
!!!
!

Setlist only speaking, I really dig that one.....

I would have loved post-Drumz on.

20$ says Midnight Hour brought the roof down, and then HSF flew it off!

As long as they were playing it well though. I really like the looks of that 2nd set.

How late did this one go?

Fireworks during ther Drumz?

jebas

Highlights...

TMNS (but the Bobby improv was weird). Hair on the back of my neck came to life for this... even popped up just remembering last night.

Mason's rocked.

Ruben was really sweet, although I would have rathered heard a Ruben's Peggy-O in the first set... but I'm picky like that.

Out of space they rocked it. Days Between, was eloquent, and Joan did a great job. Throwin' sounded awesome. Bobby was on. (Could have screamed more.. but I tried to scream for him).

Midnight Hour was my top pick of the night. It was AMAZING. Joan up there teasing Bobby trying to give him a rod. I couldn't help but laugh. It was on fire. Jumping, screaming, dancing. AWESOME.

The H->s->F was also sweet. Great long encore. I thought I heard the eleven and dupree's coming out of slipknot at times, but I was wrong.

That was one of my first concerts that I can remmber where I went stone cold sober. Definatlely a new experience, and a good one, although I must admit I wouldn't recommend it too often...

[Wink]

I thought the second set was very good however I did not like days between comming out of a long drums > space. Where I was on the lawn, people were sitting and sleeping durring "days between".

I don't think it's a bad song, just bad placement. Masons Children was a nice surprise for me. I thought it was really well played. Peggy-O was great. The Jam into Ruben was kind of slow and meandering. Drums>Space>Days...bah...

Throwing Stones> Midnight Hour got things moving again. Good, good stuff. Not too sure how I feal about Joan taking over during Midnight Hour....but whatever. It was a great way to end the set. Encore Help>Slipknot>Franklins....BOOM. This was big and the crowd was loving it.

All in all a great second set of music.

damn that list looks sweeeeet, i was really hoping to hit this one but after It we just cruised around maine and new hampshire, didnt get home till friday night, so no dead for me [Mad]

quote:

The only down side to that show was, the hassel at the border

brother i hear you on that, before It we were stopped for at least an hour... BOO URNS!!!!!!!!!

I noticed him looking around for communication a few times but I'm not sure I'd describe him as being 'off'. I think that there were definitely some communication problems happening up there. The thing is, when we're talking about a band of this calibre, they can be 'off' a little and still sound better than anything else I've heard. [smile]

check this list out from Verizon in Indiana, totally ROCKIN show: 8/5/03

1: Jam > Playin in the Band > U.S. Blues, Stagger Lee(Joan), Good Morning Little Schoolgirl*, Ballad of a Thin Man*, Oh Boy*, Baba Jingo, He's Gone > Unbroken Chain

2: Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1@ > Let It Grow > The Eleven > All That We Are > Drums > Space > Lady With a Fan > Morning Dew > Terrapin > Sugar Magnolia

E: Attics of My LIfe

*-w/ Bob Dylan (keys and vox)

throw in Robby Hunter between sets playing Reuben and Cherise/Doin That Rag/Althea

I still can't talk about this show yet

glad everyone had a good show in Darien [big Grin]

I really enjoyed this show. Dylan should be IN the Dead! I thought his 4 tunes with them were unstoppable. The Tangled was fantastic. I believe it was a JGB arrangement. Dylan singing West LA Fadeaway was a quite a suprise to me as well. I must go look back at Dylan's involvement on this tour.

We went for a Chatham crawl and couldn't find any Chathamites. Found Willy and Leanne though, and the stubbed us a little closer. Thanks guys! The closer the better.

We stayed a Dr.Hux's Grandma's 5 min. from Buffalo border. It was a very short and sweet drive to and fro. We got to climb into a nice relaxing outdoor hot tub after the show too. Sweeeet.

culled this from rec.music.gdead - thought it may interest some of you:

"What a show Sunday night! Best one since Jerry passed in my opinion.

Anyway, I was back stage after the show and I asked some questions to

the various band members while chillin.

PHIL: 5 nights at the Beacon the first week of December.

JOAN: After the west coast dates with the Dead; no tour of the Dead till

one New Years eve show in Oakland but the Yes/Dead tour next summer is

on.

BOBBY: Mostly east coast (up and down the coast) for the Ratdog fall

tour.

Thought I would share this information with the board.

Yes, a million thanks to Dr. Hux for sharing his wonderful Besa and Lloyd with us, not to mention their great food, hot tub, swimming pool and booze. That's the way to travel.

The show was AMAZING!!!! I had such a good time. Dylan's West LA Fadeaway was a highlight for me as well as TMNS and Peggy-O. I have to admit, I wasn't really sure about Joan, but after seeing her live I am a believer. She brings such energy to the Dead, such youth and excitment not to mention her amazing voice (a real treat when paired with Phil). She stole the show.

I didn't think Jimmy was off at all, in fact he blew my mind on several occasions. Bobby seemed to take a back seat for this show. I didn't see many of his patented Booby moves, nor did we get a lot of Bobby songs. Like Willy said, they can be off and still be the best!

The fireworks during Drumz was unforgettable. It was like magic. I'm not sure if the band noticed them at all, but the crowd sure did and it got us all very excited.

Thanks Willy for the stub-down. Good vibes your way for that one. [big Grin]

I'll be smiling for weeks from Darien. Man, what a show.

We met some cool kids in the lot afterwards while hanging around and collecting our crew.

Jason sent me a mail last night to say hi and shit to us.

------------------------------------------------

to all you fine folks we met Friday night,

really enjoyed the hell out of our post-show chat in the lot at Darien. checked out your site and thought it was cool :-) I will bookmark it and visit some. here is my review in progress for Hunter and Bob Dylan.

thanks for the Heinekin in the lot :-)

peace,

jason

the Dead review is still being written....

August 8, 2003 Darien Lake NY

Robert Hunter was channeling the muse in a big way all night last night. He told us he was going home after last nights show, which he opened about 4pm to a lucky crowd of about 300 people. By the time his set was finished, the place was still only about 1/3 full. Folks, let me remind you that one man gathers what another man spills, and those of us that caught Mr Hunter's set were truely blessed.

He walked out and I was the only one who even recognized him at first. I stood up from my seat (right down front) and applauded his entrance and was soon joined by the rest of the early faithful. He kinda chuckled and told us he was going home soon, and broke into Loser. Watching him play his guitar is really transfixing, and I knew this was gonna be good. Afterwards he got a great round of applause, as we all realized this was gonna be special. There was an immediate connection between Hunter and the people, emotions flying all over the place. He slowed it down and said he wanted to play a really pretty song for us " before all the people come in and make me rock out". I had never heard Sarafina Magdelina before in my life, but true to his word, this lovely thing I had never before heard somehow seemed perfectly familiar. By the end of this song I was in tears and thought it was the most beautiful song in the world. At this point mr Hunter delivered an emotionally charged Terrapin, calling up the jack o roses and all those that sang with him. 7 lonely years indeed. Fitting somehow, given the order of things and considering the nearly 8 years we have been missing Jerry. When he sang about ivory wheels on a rosewood track I couldnt contain my emotions anymore and started to lose it. Just reading that part of the suite makes me weepy, but when Hunter is singing about chasing a bayou girl named Peggy-O, I tend to short circuit. He played the whole thing tonight, including the repeated finale. He then reminded us of all the long Days Between, velveteen hearts collecting dust on the shelves of our souls. When he started Ripple I was sad again, not bcz of the song, but bcz I knew that was usuaally his closer. Let there be songs to fill the air, indeed :-)

This was the show of the tour, and maybe the best concert I will see this year. From the get go, this night was special, with Robert Hunter delivering a really spectacular set before Bob and his boys came out. His gunslinger like keyboard stance is so unique, fitting right in with his lifelong dedication to doing things his way, even if they'd not been done that way before. During the Maggies opener, I could see Joan Osbourne waiting in the wings, right in line with Bobs line of vision, probably hoping to be invited out for another Tears of Rage duet (which we didnt get, thankfully, as you will see). Then I see Bobby Weir waiting in the wings on the other side, and think nothing of it, as he is a fan of Dylans and probably just wanted to see part of the set. About this point an old friend from Ithaca College and beyond walks up and has seats RIGHT NEXT TO OURS. big hugs, so glad to see them. Dylan starts out Love Minus Zero and its a great version. His guitar player Freddie is a unique player. He impressed me on this number. Tweedle was tweedle. move on Bob. Mr tambourine man was nice. awesome harp on this one by the master.

This is when things got a little Weir'd

Bobby Weir, dressed for the occasion in a sport coat and slacks, joins Dylans sharp dressed band on his telecaster for Highway 61. Bob Weir did what very very few people can do or have done. He played outside of his element to the delight of Dylan. Weir played some very distinctive and poigniant guitar on Hiway 61. At one point he went back to adjust the amp that he was using and then came back to stage front and actually played lead guitar VERY VERY WELL ! ! ! ! I mean, he was smokin the lead HARD. Weir showed his veteran showmanship by just being a guy in the band right then, really reading the other guys playing and adding constructively. At one point I swear he was leading the band, pumping the jam harder and faster, leading the crescendo and calling everyone back in. Dylan let him do this with a smile. After that number Weir slipped away after a really heartfelt thank you from Dylan, who was noticeable impressed with Weir's contribution. Dylan follows this powerful moment with the best version I have ever heard of This Wheels on Fire. perfect, with some ad libbed opening lines I couldnt really hear, but sounded way different. Cold Irons Bound got people moving and kept them up on their feet for a bit. Positively 4th St was a searing growl. Oh, whats that? Weir is coming back out? Half way through4th St Weeir comes back out, to Dylans delight (big huge grin) and takes some more lead guitar. I wonder if I am dreaming at this point. Weir stays on the stage for the remainder of Dylans set, its working so good.I read an article the other day where Weir was quoted as saying Love and Theft was his favorite recent recording, I was not surprised to see him hanging in there for Honest w Me and Summer Days. He was really really on target almost like I have never seen him. When he was invited back onstage for the encore, that made me think Dylan really had a great time jamming w him. Rainy Day encore.

Dylan with the Dead was the highlight of the rock and roll portion of the evening for me. He was in great spirits and smiling away under that white cowboy hat. He nailed Tangled up in Blue, singing it in a more powerful almost shouting way, trying to match the intensity of the Deads backing. Train to Cry was good blues and you could tell Bob was impressed by the band. he couldn't resist picking up his strat for the first time all tour, and he played the best solo I have EVER heard him play. West LA Fadeaway was nicely done, with some good backing harmony by everyone. At this point Phil Lesh tells us to thank Bob for playing, at which point he and Weir decide he will stay for 1 more. They tear the hell right out of Alabama, I mean really dead on kick ass rockin. After this, Bob makes his rounds and gives a shake or hug and a nicety to every member of the Dead, he and Weir having just had a really great musical experience. Thank you gentlemen :-)

going to Dylan at NY State Fair Aug 22?

love to hooka up ;-)

jason

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

I have to admit, I wasn't really sure about Joan, but after seeing her live I am a believer. She brings such energy to the Dead, such youth and excitment...

Isn't it cool that a 40 year old can bring youth and excitement! [smile]

I can't say enough about Robert Hunter...

100% class and free-wheelin creativity... he took his songs and spun brand new creations from them without compromising and in fact added to the original intent... odd-unpredictable yet perfect time shifts, hypnotic vocal tricks, cool wording changes and a one of a kind performance from an old prankster with the heart of a bear

catch him any chance you can

Archived