Jambands.ca

International Women's Day!

Sarahbelle

you know...in the grand scheme of things it wasn't all that long ago that women weren't allowed to vote plus numerous other things...I for one am very gratefull to the woman before me who raised there bitch assed voices and created a much better world for my existance.

it is important to remember.

Unfortunately there is a long way to go for woman around the globe and for their sakes I raise my bitch voice in hope that one day they too can enjoy freedom and equality.

I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with celebrating a day to remember the strides woman have made and are making.

oh and yes I do love yin and yang. Seperately,together...we all can rock.

High fives to all the lovely woman and all thse who love them! :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious!!!!!!

Preachie is fun to spell that way. It's fun to be silly and incorrect.

If you wanted to dispute IQ's or bump chests, I'm up for mudwrestling...that's a fair way to resolve our issue wouldn't you say? And it would be quite fitting in light of this topic.

p.s. I graduated High Honors in top 3% of my class...at Lakehead (where the hell is Lakehead anyway?)

;)

I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with celebrating a day to remember the strides woman have made and are making.

Luv you Jules!

To answer your remark, I personally just feel stupid going "oooohhh, high five, I'm a chick".

I didn't ever think that because I was a woman that I should be treated differently because of what gender I was a birth.

I am fully respectful of the women in North American history who fought for the rights I enjoy now. I also actively support the ongoing struggles of women in other countries. I regularly donate my time, money and books to education and literacy groups around the globe. But I will not donate to a charity that only supports girls' education. That is discriminatory and counter-productive. I hope for and work towards a world of equality, where things like gender, race or creed are only relevant on a personal level, not political. Anything that divides the human race is going to divert us along the path to acheiving equality.

What's with all the Lakehead bashing? I went to Lakehead, as did Large Marge and Cully, and we all seem to have turned out alright... ;)

mn40logo.gif

Seriously though, I have no idea where Lakehead is...I guess I'll google it.

Never mind being a woman.....I LOVE GOOGLE!

sorry, I can't stop.......

I challenge all of you to think of the women in your lives and the many roles that women have to fufill.

Don't forget the struggles women went through in the early 1900's trying to get thier basic rights!!

Dont' forget the women of the world who are still fighting for freedom and equality :D

Thanks for the reminder Sarah. I'm one lucky lady...

The only way to acheive true gender equity is to eradicate the division all together. By having international women's day and women's mechanics classes and other things that separate and isolate women and men we set back the progress of the cause of true equality. Equal means the same treatment.

-by One Liberated Person

Hear, hear Bokonon! I'm 120% with you on this one!! :) :)

I'm really sorry if I offended anyone. What I am trying to express is that we as North American women have all of our rights and we don't need to fight for them anymore. We are not oppressed, we are not victimized, we do not need to distinguish ourselves by our gender. In fact, doing so is setting back the women's movement by creating an unecessary division between men and women. I am thoroughly impressed by the work done by historical women. In fact, I'm reading an amazing book right now that highlights some work done in the past that I reap the benefits of. (A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, check it out!) We have our rights now lets truly act as equals and not try to set ourselves apart, aside or above men.

Honestly, sometimes I think the women's movement went too far in some very strange directions. Two areas that immediately spring to mind are family law and standardized testing of emergency services workers. In family law, courts usually favour women, which is biased and illogical. In many divorce cases women are awarded alimony, which is absolutely assinine! Why would a man have to pay his ex-wife so she can maintain her living standard. If she wanted to keep her present lifestyle then she can either stay married or get a job that will allow her to stay in the same wage brackett. Also, custody battles often blindly favor the mother, which is not always in the child's best interest. As for emergency services workers, many of the physical tests have different standards for men and women. If your house was burning dowm, would you care about what is between the legs of the person rescuing your unconscious body from the flames? Would you be lauding the victories of the women's movement if your dad burnt to a crisp because the little waif that went to save him couldn't lift him? Of course not.

Gender discrimination can only be eradicated through making the whole concept of gender completely irrelevant.

I can think of little else that deserves a reason to celebrate more than women.

... far better than celebrating all of those greeting card holidays.

thanks Pann!!! U rock. I dunno guys.. just wanted to be a little positive cause that's what international women's day is about. It's also not about men bashing but just a celebration of what women do. I KNOW women's work is underappreciated all around the world.. Just have fun and enjoy it! Men can join in too!!!!

I respect your opinions bokonon, but you simplify and generalize your argument regarding women's equality in North America. For example, in the working world, glass ceilings still exist - don't forget about Mexico when referring to North America. In fact, in some states, women are still not paid equally to their male counterparts. Women still need to fight the good and essential fight. Women are still beaten down every day, whether verbally and/or physically and many remain silent and/or feel helpless.

I find International Women's Day a necessity.