Jambands.ca

JACKFRUIT Rancho Relaxo - March 23

StoneMtn

So, I just noticed Jackfruit is playing on the same night as Wassabi in Toronto.

As an ex-British Columbian, this seems to me like pretty poor planning.

I wanna complain to the Management!

(Where is Rancho Relaxo, anyway? In fact, where is Reverb, for that matter? I might have to run back and forth between shows.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Rancho Relaxo' date=' anyway? In fact, where is Reverb, for that matter? I might have to run back and forth between shows.

[/quote']

Rancho Relaxo is at 300 College St., while Reverb, which is part of The Big Bop, is at 651 Queen St., West. I'd think that running between them would be difficult.

Aloha,

Brad

I dunno, I wouldn't think it's too far. You have a bike, SM?

Yeah, a bunch of bands seem to be playing "against" each other this spring. Two East Coast headliners one week, then two west coast headliners the following week. Maybe if we can get all these bands to play CTMF so we can see them all in May.

I'm kind of leaning toward Jackfruit at the moment.

I've seen both bands quite a bit, although Wassabi more, but I really dig both of them, but they're totally different, but it's been longer since I've seen Jackfruit, and I miss Slow Nerve Action, but I'm probably guest-listed for Wassabi...

Argh!

If you want to see boring reggae jams that all sound the same, go and see Wassabi.

If you want to see quick changes, intelligent songwriting and great musicianship, go and see Jackfruit

To each his own, Cully, I really think you've pigeon holed Wassabi Collective into something they are not... Their show, as I saw on Saturday, was a mix of their electro funk & soul grooves, hip-hop, reggae, calypso, country & rock. I have been following the band through many incarnations and I believe this is the best line-up yet. I was blown away, the band has reached some new heights musically. Gisto has really come into his own; his song "Burn Corruption" is one of my new favorite songs..it's mix of dancehall & hip hop that could easily be the next new anthem.

here's the link to the song:

http://www.archive.org/download/wc2007-03-09.oktava.shnf/wc2007-03-09d2t01_64kb.mp3

Edited by Guest

Gisto has really come into his own; his song "Burn Corruption" is one of my new favorite songs..it's mix of dancehall & hip hop that could easily be the next new anthem.

here's the link to the song:

http://www.archive.org/download/wc2007-03-09.oktava.shnf/wc2007-03-09d2t01_64kb.mp3

Just finished giving it a listen. Definitely not my thing but that certainly doesn't mean it wouldn't be somebody else's! :D

I don't consider Wassabi to be boring reggae at all. If anything, I think of them as a very modern, fresh spin on the reggae sound; combined with cool electronica.

That said, I love Jackfruit. Chris is an incredible showman, and their sound is really different, contemporary, and fun.

I wish it was so simple as to say "boring reggae" vs. "quick changes, intelligent songwriting and great musicianship". If that were true, I would have no problem deciding. Rather, though, having seen both bands a number of times I truly enjoy both of their shows, every time. I also find that both bands are getting better and better.

(I actually think I've already made my choice about that night, though, but it is more to do with my wife's preference than my own. I'm leaving you all in suspense; as if you actually care where I spend my Friday night lol.)

Keep the input coming, though. It's always appreciated, and no decision is set in stone.

Sorry Stone Mtn, I can't help with your decision, but my interest is peaked a bit.

I've listened to the entire show you linked to Jay and although TWC aren't really my thing (neither is Jackfruit to be honest) and I'm not slamming either band here but, I'm sorta at a loss to where the country you speak of is in that show.

Personally, I hear hip-hop, reggae and jammy - funk - electronica but no country or even rock. Being a big fan of country/folk/rock myself, perhaps, if you told me how you define country music, I may understand.

BTW - another fine recording Brad.

BTW - another fine recording Brad.

Thanks, 'bama. Luckily, you can't hear the results of the idiot who decided to tap one of my microphones. He and a buddy were standing under them, and when his buddy pointed them out, he looked around/up/over-his-shoulder, bewildered at what they might be and might be for, and then reached up to tap one of them. For the life of me, I can't figure out what he was trying to accomplish. Was he expecting a big pop sound to come through the PA? Was he checking that they were really there, and not a hallucination? I managed to stop him before he did anything seriously noticable, but didn't get a chance to talk to him then or later...which is probably a good thing... }:(

Aloha,

Brad