Jambands.ca

Seventeen Years, No Regrets, Thanks Jerry.

MarcO

Yup I had fun at those shows. I remember thinking that the Dead lacked a little of the intensity I had known which dissapointed me a bit at the time. I can see in retrospect that though they did lack a bit intensity they were playing 'better'. Nice version of Hey Jude (and rare) too bad Brent forgot the words.

I remember Alpine Valley one year when he screwed up the words to Blackbird (rare as well) and he laid his head down on the keyboard laughing and flapping his arms-FUNNY!

Man Brent was good-fantastic actually-I've never heard anyone who could bring out the power and characteristics of the B3 quite like him even though others may have had more keyboard fame than him.

Tour started for me in the PARTY days in 1984-they had a few years there where the party was unbelievable and the music was INTENSE-of course looking back it was also awfully ragged with Jerry completely partied out at times. Wild times though!

Yep. Is there anything better than kick-ass Dead shows than kick-ass Dead shows that don't require you to cross the border?

I have to say, though, that the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the date is how things were apparently going for Brent at the time. I wonder to this day if that's why he choked on the Hey Jude lyrics (and why I Will Take You Home still strikes me as so poignant).

Edited by Guest

Yep. Is there anything better than kick-ass Dead shows than kick-ass Dead shows that don't require you to cross the border?

I have to say, though, that the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the date is how things were apparently going for Brent at the time. I wonder to this day if that's why he choked on the Hey Jude lyrics (and why I Will Take You Home still strikes me as so poignant).

indeed. i still smile every time i think about that few days. freaks in my house and the dead in my town....

thanks indeed all round!

*sigh*

awesome memories....I think it was during this extended march break that I knew for certain I would marry Dave (and pop the question!) and not miss a moment more of this music, this community, this freak show, this love....

17 years and counting!!! woot woot!!!!

I'd say Jerry and the boys were (are) the best match-makers there are!!!

I love these stories, keep em comin! Some friends of mine living in Chedoke Ave. always recall that there was a posse of about 20 hippies from the States who were camping out in the forest between their street and Chedoke golf course. Apparently the city was very accomodating for that kind of thing when the Dead visited.

Pretty funny that Jerry found himself at Crowbar on Barton of all places.

Check this out-it may be a better quality version of the Hey Jude than you have. David Lemieux (archivist for the Dead-do you know he is kind of an Ottawa boy-used to come watch my band Longbottom [i know-funny name]) posted this at the Grateful Dead site.

http://www.dead.net/node/57

PS check out the 75 Blues for Allah stuff-I love that and this seems to be of rare quality!

Edited by Guest

Is the show available through FTP?

I don't have any dead post 1973...

anyone up for doing b&p for this and possibly other "recommended" shows?

I like what i'm hearing on the archive but I need this in the car!

actually, these oink shows look good...any recommendations?

http://oink.me.uk/details.php?id=947328

http://oink.me.uk/details.php?id=1041742

Edited by Guest

I still kick myself for not being at these shows...but to be honest I didn't even know they existed until a few months later...upon recomendation from a friends older brother I went to check them out in Buffalo...I consider myself very lucky to have seen Brent a mere 10 days before he died...this band certainly changed my life in a big way. At least I got to see them in Hamilton in '92 (without Brent, but with Bruce).

brent2.jpg