Jambands.ca

Just got a Mac

dave-O

First time Mac user here and it doesn't seem like a huge departure from Windows based platforms. But I'll be honest, I'm a bit apprehensive about the unknown.

Mac users - any tips, tricks or hints? Maybe a good online tutorial to get me going in the right direction?

welcome to the easiest computing years of your life dave-o!

if you're having some problems figuring out how to do something....try and think of the easiest, simplest, right in front of your face way to do things, and that's probably how it's done.

i believe that os/x does have a basic tutorial, and the help sections of the programs work great too.

Hey, is Safari the best bet for internet or are there other browser options out there?

More generally speaking, I guess, is the standard software it came loaded with (iLife) sufficient or will I be looking to add something like Office for typical word-processing/spreadsheet/etc tasks?

Hey, is Safari the best bet for internet or are there other browser options out there?

More generally speaking, I guess, is the standard software it came loaded with (iLife) sufficient or will I be looking to add something like Office for typical word-processing/spreadsheet/etc tasks?

ilife is fine for most basic things, but if you use Office products on a regular basis (I don't), Office is probably a good purchase.

I happen to love Safari, but you can get Firefox for mac as AD said.

welcome to the world of easy computer life!!!

i am computer illiterate, but have had no problems with my mac...i will never go back!

in terms of help/tutorials....you shouldn't need any, but the Help icon can always lead you in the right direction if you want more out of your programs!

i have no problems running firefox or safari, both work well.enjoy!

I upgraded the RAM in my Mac Mini this week and all it took was some putty knives. I filled the slot, got its top back on and we were good to go. What to do with that extra chip? I put an ad on craigslist, got a call on my way home from aircaring my car. I got a deal for the computer so I figure I'll sell the RAM for a case of beer...$35 plus a couple of Twoonies (I figure I need to get a beverage at least as good as the computer deserves), and they're coming to pick it up. How much for a case of beer anyway?

Either way;

Definitely worth it to me. I'm putting on some tea.