Jambands.ca

Official 2007 NHL Playoff Thread

badams

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nhl_a_henrick_412.jpg

Buffalo was ROBBED last night. I don't care what the panelists on TSN had to say after, that was a fucking GOAL. In this day and age, why is it that if the game was played in another NHL arena, they would have had more camera angles. This is NYC for fuck's sake!

I can't believe how many blown calls the referees have made in the playoffs so far. Worse, is the fact that most of the blown calls are in one goal games and dramatically effect the outcome. What a joke.

With all the technology out there, there should be special consideration for the playoffs. Could you imagine if this was in the Cup final and was a deciding game??? (reminds me of that shit reffing that allowed Hull and Dallas to win the Cup!) Shit, all they have to do is put a chip in the puck and sensors on the goal line. They could make it "glow" 10 years ago for shit's sake.

I NEVER thought I would say this:

Bring back Kerry Frasier!!!!

That's the right call by a long shot and not even CLOSE to being 'blown' but you can blow me Kev.

;)

Hold on ... let me call "head" office in Toronto. Wait, they can't see it happening, therefore it's a no-blow. Sorry Booche. However, if the call had been made in Ottawa, you might have gotten a blow job!! :P

from the toronto star - what a great story!

Cup goes to Kandahar

220678_3.JPG

CP PHOTO/RYAN REMIORZ

Canada's Chief of Defence Staff General Rick Hillier, right, presents the Stanley Cup along with General Tim Grant, left, former Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer Dave (Tiger) Williams, (centre), as they arrive at the base in Kandahar, Afghanistan Wednesday, May 2, 2007.

May 02, 2007 11:40 AM

Rosie DiManno

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan – The brass brought the silver to Afghanistan today. Gen. Rick Hillier and Lord Stanley's Cup: Canada's top soldier and Canada's most iconic sports trophy.

Some particularly belligerent National Hockey League rinks notwithstanding, this marked the first time the Cup has ever gone to war.

The hardware, under the care of its white-gloved Hall of Fame custodian, was unloaded from the belly of a Hercules transport plane as a gaggle of NHL old-timers disembarked on wobbly legs and green around the gills. The aircraft had, just for the hell of it, made a "combat landing" at Kandahar Airfield — banking steeply and low overhead as it corkscrewed towards the runway.

Spies report there was some puking inside the plane just before it disgorged the likes of Tiger Williams, Bob Probert, Rejean Houle and Mark Napier.

The ever-effusive Hillier wrapped his arms around the Cup after it was un-crated, still on the tarmac, a greeting party of delighted Canadian troops as wide-eyed as children, the trophy sparkling under a blistering Afghan sun. Immediately, cameras came out and posing commenced.

"Every boy — and girl — grows up with a vision of playing in the NHL," the suddenly politically correct Hillier told the gathering, as he thanked the league, commissioner Gary Bettman and the NHL Players' Association for allowing the Cup to come halfway 'round the world, in the middle of the playoffs no less.

"We appreciate the opportunity to see it and touch it ... before it comes home to Canada this year with one of our two teams."

Hillier played the hockey hoser all day, as the Cup was transported from KAF to the Provincial Reconstruction Team satellite at Camp Nathan Smith on the outskirts of Kandahar City, this time arriving by Chinook helicopter.

The PRT troops — and in particular the Vandoo Regiment, which is now providing force protection at the base — huddled expectantly, awaiting the Cup's arrival. Hillier, clearly beloved by the troops, gave another rousing address, first noting all the positive changes that had occurred since his last hoo-wah visit to the region in March, drawing attention to schools newly reopened in a district of the province that "was a battlefield last fall."

"The way you do your job, your professionalism, your dedication, your courage, makes it easy for me to go around Canada and say that your country needs to support you. And they do."

But, morale-boosting from the top of the command chain aside, it was otherwise hockeyhockeyhockey on this day.

Hillier drew cheers of approval by relating how U.S. air force personnel had, on the KAF tarmac, immediately descended upon the Cup for photographs. "I tell them, 'I don't want you guys getting too comfortable with that damn Cup now because it's coming back to Canada.' "

The general, a passionate Maple Leaf fan from Newfoundland, also offered his services to either manage or coach the Toronto club, come yet another start-anew season. "I can lose seven games in October, too!"

For Tiger Williams, the one-time Leaf enforcer, this is a return Afghanistan engagement. And this time he arrived in full combat fatigue kit, having purchased his own uniform, rather large in size than the uniform he wore as No. 22 in Toronto.

"It's an honour for all of us to come here and spent time with Canadian troops," said Williams, whose father and grandfather both served in the military.

He then pointed out the parallels between soldiering and playing hockey.

"There's a lot of teamwork involved in both and accepting authority all down the line. You're only as strong as your weakest link."

The alumni will play two ball hockey games against a Canadian soldier squad, starting this morning, with veteran broadcaster Brian Williams announcing the line-up. The ex-pros will also cook for the troops at a barbecue, with a double beer ration per soldier for the special occasion.

The party of hockey players passim was welcomed to Kandahar by Gen. Tim Grant, commander of Joint Task Force Afghanistan.

Then, first off the bat, they all got on a bus and went to Tim Hortons.

The general, a passionate Maple Leaf fan from Newfoundland, also offered his services to either manage or coach the Toronto club, come yet another start-anew season. "I can lose seven games in October, too!"

Jeremy Roenick destroys Brett Hull as a 'host'.

I've got three viewings of each under my belt and there is no question who is better onscreen. JR is far more charismatic. Brett Hull is batting at the Mendoza line (if he is lucky) while JR is hitting an easy .290 as a rookie.

Oh.My.Lord.

Detroit just scored with 30 seconds to go to tie in this game. Robert Fucking Lang. Fantastic. What a great way to get this series to 2 and 2 or 3 to 1.

I wish I could stay up but I am about to have a smoke and hit the hay before anything starts and I somehow get sucked in.

Edit to add: Fucking JR is keeping me at the tele before I smoke. He's good for a green boy. Real good.

I agree Booche. I have been surprisingly impressed by Roenick. I couldn't stand Hull, and was never a big fan of Roenick either. However, he seems to have found a good spot to be. I like it when former players can put some of these fat analysts back in their place when they spout some of their shit.

I'd like to see JR drop the gloves and pop Darren Dreger one someday

Yeah, Roenick was always a great interview and always had a great 'take' on the game, so the transition to between-periods-analyst has been pretty smooth. A good sense of humour goes a long way!

I just assumed that for those same reasons Brett Hull was going to be great. Not so far...