Jambands.ca

Absinth

SaggyBalls

the only Absinth I've found in Canada is the 'bohemian' or Czech style which is now only recently popular and does not 'louche'

Does anybody know of Canadian distributors of 'bitters' or traditional Absinth/e?

I'd mail order from overseas but am curious if anybody knows about this fine drink. My Green Tree Absinth is tasty and booze but other than the taste and patience I need to drink it over sugar and ice water it feels like a very clean natural alcoholic beverage.

I really like its heterogeneous and hepatoprotective properties

Well the only reason it was banned was the corellation between the active convulsant in wormwood 9thujone) was found to seriously mess up guinea pigs that thujone was administered to.

that and some dude claimed it drove him to kill his wife.even after being drink already on other booze.,

I think it's cool how the stuff doesn't completely mix with the water.I thinkn i'll stop at four.

I feel great today.

Absinth apparently has some 'hepatoprotective' properties which I would presume go out the window with serious habitual use, but I was drunk when i got home after watching the canucks get their asses kicked. I'd gone out with a bunch of folks from work and can't quite recall walking home but I know I did. Actually it was a beautiful night so I was more into the warm air than my 'long' 30 minute walk.

I think I stopped at 4 drinks but it may have been 5. I'm about a third done my bottle and although it was the first thing I wanted to put in my body this morning I'm not nearly as worried as I could be. It's still capped and sitting on my desk. I suppose at 70% alcohol 4 drinks is more like 7...and I rarely drink. I think I'd have been more wasted if I'd have gotten into the port.

And Davey Boy - it only partly explains that PM. the Absinth is the only reason I was sitting in the corner in front of my computer last night. I have to clean my apartment so I didn't want to clear off my sofa and I have the longest sightlines in my place without being in my kitchen and although I'm under a loft bed I don't feel as confined...the space seems bigger and I'm more comfortable...and I have a giant painting on my wall that is just to the right of my monitor and it's a really nice thing to see.

Mix that with:

1) the spring being my least favourite time of year for incredibly deep personal reasons

2) me being absolutely sick of being distraught after all these years, and

3) habitually going over the wierdness and still not being able to make sense of it all, yet it slowly coming together in a very strange yet entirely uplifting picture

I'm gearing up to get out of my apartment and play some Disc Golf. Still procrastinating...my apartment will be clean shortly.

The best you can get is La Fee absinthe. I put back a few bottles of this when I spent time in the UK. Actually you can order bottles to your house in Canada through their website! It has a nice louche and everything.. But as Beats said, you can't buy absinthe in this day and age with enough thujone in it to have any thujone-related effects. You'd have to make your own homebrew absinthe to see some true, ear-slicing effects come about!

Apparently it's not the thujone that produces those effects, KevO. Since the Czech recipes often have higher thujone recipes, most of the Absinth that was produced had much lower levels but still gave people the tonic like effects.

I am not so focused on that as I am curious about the taste and the louche. Either way a $80+ bottle of alcohol seems a bit excessive as staple.

• 2 weeks later...

try making wormwood tea and use that instead of water. you can get wormwood at any herb store. it's super bitter, so it works well to offset the heavy sweetness of the sugar.

as with any herb, though, check your contraindications first - i know it's not one to take if you're pregnant, though i suppose you shouldn't be taking absinthe in that case anyway :P

also, woooo disc golf! give'r, beats!