Jambands.ca

Interesting Fact(s)

PalacePrincess

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

there is nicotine in Tim Hortons coffee

no shit? i was always wondering what that mystery chemical in their mix was that keeps us all coming back like slathering dogs..... now i know.

so maybe i should quit smoking,, ween myself off cigs and onto more timmys.....

that one about the dog sled team is pretty crazy as well.

Cool, thanks for the informative links. I guess Tim's does not put MSG in their coffee. I had thought there may be some truth to that claim b/c I remember a multitiude of shows where I'd have a Tim Horton's coffee beforehand and then get *tired*, whereas other coffees did not have the same effect. Must be something else going on, or maybe some odd coincidences or something.

The website does a good job of describing what MSG does to me:

Some individuals seem to be sensitive to MSG, and exhibit what is known as 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' (because of its use in Asian cooking). The symptoms include headaches, chest pains, facial pressure, burning sensations, and sweating. The FDA continues to list it as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe), but all foods containing MSG must state so on the label.

At least, I *think* it's MSG that does that to me. I find as long as avoid it, I'm ok, but more than a little taste of it leaves me feeling as above, plus super-tired, groggy like I drank a bottle of wine (but w/o the buzz [Frown] ). It's like kryptonite for me.

That shit is in lots of snacks (Doritos), some commercial meats (esp. sausages) and in many seasonings. It's the Doritos thing that really bugs me. [Mad] I love those things.

A wee story: I remember going to celebrate a friend's birthday at a Thai food restaurant here in Hamilton. Before ordering, I of course asked the waitress to tell me if what I ordered has MSG in it, so I can choose something else. Her answer? "Everything. Everything has MSG in it". Ok, then. [Roll Eyes] MarcO went hungry that night!....

It's such a pain becuase when I go to someone's house for a dinner, say at Easter-time or something, I always have to double-check, make sure it's not in the broth, gravy, see if the potatoes are fresh or instant or whatever.... I hate seeming to be fussy but it's either that or my day is over.

MSG, I gotta sleep that stuff off.

Anyway, isn't this fascinating? [Roll Eyes] Please, back to other interesting facts...... [Wink]

Facts:

33 percent of grade 10 students in Ontario failed their literacy test this year (almost 10 percent more than last year) --looks like that bar was raised to about head level.

In Canada you can't add caffine to a product that doesn't have it naturally occuring, but if it does, you can put as much as want in it.

Otis Redding wrote the Aretha Franklin hit "Respect".

Mickey Mantle holds the record for the longest Home Run ever--somewhere around 730 feet (!!!) the average is around 380.

Speculation:

Despite media hype to the contrary, Bruce Springsteen sounds way more like Van Morrison than Bob Dylan on his first two records.

George W. Bush doesn't know that he's evil.

Dick Cheney does.

Life would be great if it was one long, satisfying morning stretch.

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

I had heard a little while ago Tim Horton's puts MSG in their coffee. Can anybody confirm? I have an allergy to MSG and so have been avoiding Timmy's.

Tim Horton's nutritional info can be accessed here. They also encourage you to call them at 1-888-601-1616 (M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm Eastern time) with any questions you might have.

Interesting Fact: Caffeine increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, which is why it's found in some medicines. Ironically, caffeine withdrawal is also one of the most common causes of headaches.

Aloha,

Brad

-

actually that's gasoline and vaseline or dish soap - you need something with a jelly like consistency so it will stick AND burn. OJ concentrate breaks up too rapidly...in small batches like, um, 'cocktails' we'll say it's ok as the burn area is smaller...

But it's better to use a more volatile fuel that burns hotter and longer for full effect. [smile]

-Hang On Sloopy is the official rock song of Ohio.

-Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them use to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."

-Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously

-The first toilet ever seen on television was on "Leave It To Beaver".

damn I'm a geek...

Well, this didnt take long:

The the longest measured homerun in a major league game was a 643 foot shot hit by Mickey Mantle. The homerun was hit on September 10, 1960 during a game between the New York Yankees and Detroit Tigers and was hit out of Tiger Stadium. It is in the Guiness Book of World Records as the longest homerun ever.

I also saw this:

May 22, 1963-AP Photo-Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York

(CRAP! That picture wont stay up. I will look for another one of it)

This Mickey Mantle homerun was one of the few balls ever hit which almost left Yankee Stadium. It hit just six inches from the top of the right field facade. The ball was hit so hard that it was still rising when it hit the structure.

Archived