Jambands.ca

Interesting Fact(s)

PalacePrincess

as anyone who knows me can attest to, i am a sucker for interesting tidbits of information and trivia(l)-like facts. what are some you've come across? here's a few to start:

1. green peppers have more vitamin C than oranges

2. the people who live around lake ontario have the highest concentration of thyroid problems per capita in the world (get those bathin' suits on kids!)

3. the tin man from the wizard of oz was originally played by a different actor. the makeup used to create the silver tin look was basically white clown makeup with real aluminum dust sprinkled on top. after a few weeks of working in the costume, the actor had inhaled so much of the aluminum dust his lungs basically neared collapse and he had to be hospitalized. the makeup was changed to a paste form instead.... and while off work recuperating, the actor was fired and replaced with the tin man you see today to avoid production delays.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Low Roller

3. The actor in question, Buddy Epsen, went on to fame and fortune starring as Jed Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies TV show!

Voila, that completes today's useless fact of the day!

"Corned beef" has nothing to do with the food we know of as corn. It's called that because it was originally made by curing beef with salt, which came in the form of pellets, or kernels, which were known as "corns" of salt.

In fact, the food we know of as corn gets its name because it's in the form of kernels. Even back in ancient Roman times, they had a food known as "cornmeal", because it was made from grains (wheat) that came in the form of kernels, even though corn is a New World food.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

When Juliet says, "Romeo, Romeo, wherfore art thou, Romeo?" she isn't wondering where he is, but rather is commenting on his being named Romeo.

"Now that I know that, what do I do?"

RnB

Close, but it had to do with his last name- Montague vs. Capulet

Here's one:

President Lyndon Johnson nicknamed his penis "Jumbo."

quote:

President Lyndon Johnson nicknamed his penis "Jumbo."

Maybe that's why some people call them Johnsons

Clinophobia is the fear of beds.

Most toilets flush in E flat

According to Beatles producer George Martin, Neal Hefti's catchy composition of the 1960's "Batman" Emmy-winning theme song inspired George Harrison to write the hit song "Taxman."

Dark Side of The Moon (a Pink Floyd album) stayed on the top 200 Billboard charts for 741 weeks! That is 14 years.

quote:

Most toilets flush in E flat

on a side note, my music teacher at school controlled the wattage of the lightbulbs in the music room in order to keep them in a b flat pitch due to the fact that most songs played in music class and the school band are in b flat.

I like this thread, though I'll abstain from adding a bit of trivia, because a month ago I started putting different interesting facts in my signature.

Yes, velvet is the gift that keeps on giving.

Okay, can't resist one:

The "Ye" in "Ye Olde Taverne," is pronounced "the," not "yee."

and a quiz: According to Billboard, only two songs with the word "summer" in the title have ever been #1.

Any guesses? Winner gets...the answers right.

Archived