Jambands.ca

White Stripes Tour

Swan

[blurb]The rumours were true. The White Stripes are playing every province and all of the territories. Makes me proud to be a Canadian.

The Following dates were listed on Pollstar.com

The White Stripes

Sun 06/24/07 Burnaby, BC Deer Lake Park

Mon 06/25/07 Whitehorse, YT Yukon Arts Centre

Tue 06/26/07 Yellowknife, NW Yellowknife Multiplex

Wed 06/27/07 Iqaluit, NUN Arctic Winter Games Arena

Fri 06/29/07 Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome

Sat 06/30/07 Edmonton, AB Shaw Conference Centre

[/blurb]Sun 07/01/07 Saskatoon, SK TCU Place

Mon 07/02/07 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre

Tue 07/03/07 Thunder Bay, ON Thunder Bay Community Auditorium

Thu 07/05/07 Toronto, ON The Molson Amphitheatre

Fri 07/06/07 Montreal, QC Bell Centre

Sat 07/07/07 London, ON The John Labatt Centre

Sun 07/08/07 Ottawa, ON Cisco Systems Ottawa Bluesfest

Tue 07/10/07 Moncton, NB Moncton Coliseum

Wed 07/11/07 Charlottetown, PE Charlottetown Civic Centre

Fri 07/13/07 Halifax, NS Cunard Event Centre

Sat 07/14/07 Glace Bay, NS Savoy Theatre

Mon 07/16/07 Saint John's, NF Mile One Centre

Hey I just noticed, I'm going to be in Glace Bay on the 14th!!!! and it's on a Saturday night. God bless them.

"Having never done a full tour of Canada, Meg and I thought it was high time to go whole hog." Jack White said on the band's web site.

"We want to take this tour to the far reaches of the Canadian landscape. From the ocean to the permafrost. The best way for us to do that is ensure that we perform in every province and territory in the country, from the Yukon to Prince Edward Island.

"Another special moment of this tour is the show which will occur in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia on July 14th, The White Stripes' Tenth Anniversary."

I just bought the new "Icky Thump" single off of iTunes. yet another new sound for the Stripes. It's rock'n'roll first and foremost but his lyrics take on almost a hip-hop meter and he's using some instruments I can't recognize. I'm sure I'll listen to it 20 times before the day is over. It doesn't strike me at all as a 'single' in the conventional sense but at this point I'm sure radio will play whatever Jackie White tells 'em to. Great stuff.

thanks for the post Swan...broke the news to the London folk this morning as an 'exclusive.'

They're playing the Savoy Theatre in Glace -fucking - Bay. WTF? That's awesome. No big Rock Bands ever played there when I spent 18 years living there.

I know.....the only concerts that even came to Sydney when I was growing up was Vanilla Ice and Bryan Adams...that's all I ever recall

I did attend Bryan Adams but not Vanilla Ice hehehehehe

• 2 weeks later...
Jack White is related to Ashley MacIsaac

JAMES ADAMS

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

May 8, 2007 at 4:09 AM EDT

When Jack White, the driving force behind rock's Grammy-winning band the White Stripes, said recently that he thought he was related to Cape Breton's famous fiddlers Buddy MacMaster, Natalie MacMaster and Ashley MacIsaac, not a few media types suggested that the claim be taken with a grain of salt.

But it turns out to be true. And not only is White -- born John Anthony Gillis in Detroit in July, 1975 -- related to the MacIsaacs and MacMasters, he's a third cousin to hockey star Al MacInnis, a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup winner with the Calgary Flames in the late 1980s.

Talk of White's Nova Scotia ancestry intensified last week after he announced that the White Stripes -- himself and ex-wife Meg White, on drums -- would be marking their 10th anniversary with a concert July 14 at the 761-seat, 80-year-old Savoy Theatre in Glace Bay, on the eastern shore of Cape Breton Island. It's part of an 18-city Canadian tour the band is undertaking in support of its new album, Icky Thump, with Glace Bay (population 17,000) just one of several smaller, semi-out-of-the-way centres on the itinerary.

Confirmation of Jack White's blood connection to MacIsaac et al. was provided yesterday by Antigonish lawyer Daniel J. MacIsaac, 56, who's a cousin to Ashley and (yes!) a first cousin once removed to Mr. White Stripe himself. "I think Jack White would like to be able to defend that he is related to Ashley [MacIsaac] and Natalie [MacMaster], but he's not quite sure of it," Daniel MacIsaac said. Now he is -- "and that's a terrific gene, isn't it?"

Indeed, declared the Antigonish counsellor, "I think we should really welcome Jack White as a Canadian son."

As it turns out, Jack White is a fourth cousin to Natalie MacMaster, a third cousin once removed to Buddy MacMaster, Natalie's father and "the dean of Atlantic fiddlers," and a double fourth cousin to Ashley MacIsaac. According to Daniel MacIsaac, Jack White's grandmother (and Daniel MacIsaac's aunt), Florence MacIsaac, was born in Nova Scotia in 1896 and later married a man named Frank Gillis with whom she established a home in Sydney Mines to raise a family that eventually included two girls and four sons. Times were tough in Nova Scotia, however, and in 1924 the Gillises moved to Detroit. Three years later, Florence Gillis gave birth to a boy, Gorman, who 48 years later fathered Jack White.

The MacMaster connection, in the meantime, comes courtesy of Florence's grandfather, John MacIsaac, who had a sister named Sarah "who married into the MacMaster clan." And as for Ashley MacIsaac, he is descended from Hector MacIsaac, a brother of John.

Daniel MacIsaac confessed that he hasn't met his famous American first cousin, but he hopes to do so this July. He would also like to see the White Stripes perform while they're in Glace Bay and "is scrounging to get some tickets."

i love these two

We love you, Iqaluit!

Jack White explains why the White Stripes decided to tour every province and territory in Canada

GUY DIXON

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

May 3, 2007 at 4:18 AM EDT

In their eccentric way, the White Stripes have already won over Canada without playing a note.

When the American alt-roots, blues-rock superstars announced their summer tour last week, with an itinerary including such unlikely stops as Thunder Bay, Glace Bay, N.S., and Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut, the decision struck a power chord with fans on Internet message boards.

But for guitarist Jack White, who lives in Nashville and originally formed the bare-bones duo with drummer Meg White in Detroit, it's all about trying something new, booking agents be damned. The rationale for the tour? The band's sixth album Icky Thump is coming out June 19, and Jack and Meg always like to mix things up. They had never done a full Canadian tour. So why not now? Simple as that.

"I told them when I handed in the album and we started talking about touring, I said, 'Before anybody starts getting any ideas, this time we're doing a solo tour of Canada, and I will not take no for an answer.' I put my foot down before anyone even mentioned any shows we were going to play," Jack said on the phone from a Nashville studio, where he's recording the second album for his side project as a member of the Raconteurs.

"I told our tour manager and our manager, 'I want to play in every province and territory in Canada, and I want you guys to call up people and make sure that if we're going to do it, we're going to do it. I don't want to come home and say, well, we technically didn't play every province because we didn't play Prince Edward Island or something like that.' You know what I mean?"

When you're as big as the White Stripes, you can make an idea like that happen. Beginning June 24 at Deer Lake Park in Burnaby, B.C., hitting Canadian cities big and small, and ending on July 16 at the Mile One Centre in St. John's, the itinerary suits the band. And they'll likely turn up looking less like American Apparel outcasts and more like the Mariachi Goths they are today.

"There's a selfish pleasure that me and Meg will get from seeing these places we've always wanted to see, while we're at work," he added. "There's that side of it. But as far as the novelty side, I look more at it as a challenge. Why do bands not go to out-of-the-way places? Because it's hard.

"When you don't take the easy way out, something interesting happens. Maybe we'll have the best show of our lives in Nunavut. Maybe it'll be a disaster, who knows?"

In the White Stripes' early touring days in the late 1990s, the U.S.-Canadian border and distances between Canadian cities proved too much of a barrier. It's a reality Canadian bands know all too well. "We found it difficult back in the day when we were just touring around in a van. So we never had a chance to do it. Now, finally, let's do one. For God's sake, how many albums do we have to put out before we do a tour of Canada?

"I want to push to see how far we can go with it. Okay, we've never done a tour of Canada. Well, let's not take the easy way out and just play all the major cities. You play Winnipeg, Manitoba. What about the guys who live 200 miles north or whatever? I always think that if I lived in the Northwest Territories or the Yukon, it would be nice if bands came here once in a while."

The duo's ruckus blues meets angular post-grunge makes for a loud show, but it suits small venues, with Jack emoting a band-load of heaviness from his six-string and the deceptively lithe Meg banging on her drums. Nevertheless, they regularly play gigs double the size of Iqaluit's total population of 6,000. In 2005, the band headlined Britain's Glastonbury Festival in front of more than 100,000. That track record makes the smaller Canadian dates all the more novel.

"A booking agent's job is to see how big a place you can play. If a band can play a 20,000-seat place, it's kind of ridiculous in a business sense to put them in a 3,000-seat theatre. [but] we have always not seen eye to eye with booking agents on our tours, because we're not looking at it from that standpoint," Jack said with Southern matter-of-factness.

"There's nothing worse than a band who has corporate sponsorship, who comes through town and plays the same set every night wherever they go, and they play it [the music] just like it is on the album. We want to do a tour where we go places we've never been before. We play a different set every night. We don't have a set list in this band, and we play venues that people don't normally play and see what happens. That's a lot more interesting to me."

Remember this is a group that kicked off its last major tour in South America, where White Stripes albums can be a rare commodity and a world away from music-biz hubs such as New York or London. In typical fashion, Jack takes inspiration for all this from the past.

Elvis Presley never toured outside of the United States except for a few dates in Canada. The excuse Presley gave the press was that if he played one European country, for instance, it wouldn't be fair to the others and he'd wind up having to play them all.

"In the same sense, you say to yourself, if you're going to play every province, you're going to have to play every province," Jack added with a laugh.