Jambands.ca

Anyone want to go to Ithaca on May 8?

bradm

According to

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=10416

In honor of the 30th anniversary of one of the Grateful Dead's most legendary performances that took place on May 8, 1977 at Cornell University's Barton Hall, Ithaca Mayor Carolyn Peterson will declare May 8, Grateful Dead Day in Ithaca.

And to add to the fun

The headlining event of this anniversary celebration is Dark Star Orchestra's recreation of the Legendary May 8, 1977 Grateful Dead concert.

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years, there has been much hype and attention given to a particular show - touted as "the best ever played" in some circles. The show referenced supposedly took place on 5/8/77, at the famed Barton Hall at Cornell University.

However, as what some might consider to be a professional Grateful Dead historian, I feel constrained to reveal an interesting, and possibly disturbing (to some), explanation for the recording which has been circulating all these many years.

Many people are aware that the Grateful Dead devoted much time and energy to recording and preserving their concerts in as pristine a condition as possible. In the early 1970's, they pioneered advancements in recording technology. Quickly, it became evident that there needed to be some fixed standard by which to evaluate and rate the quality of new recordings. Additionally, the Grateful Dead were heavily exploring their fascination with artificially generated musical sound.

Thus was born "Project Ventriloquist". Essentially, the Grateful Dead set out to produce, by wholly artificial means, the "perfect show". In this way, they would always have a perfect baseline recording, both sonically and vocally, by which to internally evaluate and rate recorded shows. Over a vast period of time, samples from a variety of sources were blended and mixed to produce the recording.

However, the Grateful Dead also insisted that the quality of this recording must be good enough to pass muster with the fanbase. Ever the Pranksters, it was decided that the recording would be "leaked". They even went as far as to have posters printed up, and booked the venue as though a "real" show was going to take place.

Alas, all these years later, this Pandora's Box has led to vast confusion among fans and audiophiles alike. The grand experiment led to an incredible recording, which has been appreciated by legions of fans. However, it has also reached legendary status as the "Greatest Show Ever Played", and scores of fans have proudly proclaimed false attendance at "The Show". Unfortunately, the reality is that 5/8/77 is still, and always will be, merely a valuable tool generated and used by the Grateful Dead for their own purposes.

So, the next time you listen to 5/8/77, please appreciate the devotion and dedication which led to it's creation.

I guess Cornell is highly susceptible to the scam...

I had a friend who went there and he and some other Canadian boys hooked up with some American kids to form a school club called The Society for Canadian-American Mutualism. The school readily accepted the new club and even funded it.

S.C.A.M. and all its members spent their funding money on "meetings" at the local pub.

However, it has also reached legendary status as the "Greatest Show Ever Played", and scores of fans have proudly proclaimed false attendance at "The Show". Unfortunately, the reality is that 5/8/77 is still, and always will be, merely a valuable tool generated and used by the Grateful Dead for their own purposes.

what about the fans that you hear cheering and calling out stuff on the recording? are you saying that's all fake?

You've peeked my enormous appetite for good eats, with the mention of this 'Moosewood Restaurant' please elaborate... :)

We are planning on exploring that area a bit, since we've heard how beautiful that area is, for a possible area to move to one day....

Hmmmmph. Buffalo 77 was clearly the superior show.

Moosewood was a pioneering vegetarian restauarant in the 1970's and their cookbooks are a delight, I recommend them and I'm not a vegetarian!

Wow, agreed on all fronts!