Jambands.ca

Space shuttle crash

scottieking

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by vermontdave:

There are some profound ironies involved with this terrible tragedy. They were very brave people.

You said it, brother: I turned on Global TV Saturday at 4pm, and they were running a Simpsons episode, the one that starts out with Bart and Homer building a rocket to launch Bart's hamster and ends up going out of control and destroying the church. (I guess the only one worse than that one that they could have run would be the one in which Homer actually goes up in the shuttle...)

Aloha,

Brad

Don't you find it somewhat ironic, dare I say disappointing, that our news in Canada was based totally around this shuttle that killed 7 people, complete with half hour special, and there was little to know footage or attention or condolences to the families of the folks that were unfortunate enough to be caught in the avalanche in Revelstoke at the same time?

Just goes to show you how manipulative the top media dogs are, and how little independence even the not-for-profit CBC has...

(I mean no disrespect to the astronauts, it just seems like a disaster of similar proportions that happened in Canada to Canadians should have got more press.... maybe I just am to young to grasp the significance of space travel...)

I thought the CBC's coverage was pretty balanced, considering the comparative scope of both stories innternationally. Certainly the CBC out west would have been devoting more coverage to the avalanche.

Two tragedies, one local, one international and beyond.

ad

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Garneau added insight, professionalism and emotion to the day's tragic events.

... qualities totally missing from anything in the "journalism" world these days - when we mourn in front of our tv sets, death vying for space on the airwaves and the minutiae of tragedy the focus of day-long scrutiny, it is hard to determine what death really means anymore...

spend the day with your favorite anchor-person, virtually commercial free, its terrible, but what about the ratings?

i missed the whole thing, if i'm not on my computer, i dont get the news. weird.

i did see one story yesterday though - about all the lost research. One interview was with a canadian science team who have lost years of research and about 3 million dollars of equipement etc. However at one point the scientist stopped and said something like "I want to make this very clear though, that our loss in this is absolutely secondary. The first and foremost tragedy in this event is ofcourse the loss of life"

ok it doesnt translate all that well, but the way she said it was serious and sincere. I just mention it because we complain when the news is callous so a small example of when it said the proper thing.

quote:

Originally posted by h:

we complain when the news is callous so a small example of when it said the proper thing.

sometimes they let these sincere sound bites sneak thru - but this is not a CNN manufactured quote, this is something that a compassionate person said in all honesty (well, maybe a company pr rep nudged the scientist in question and gave her the 'its not about the money' signal....)

quote:

(I mean no disrespect to the astronauts, it just seems like a disaster of similar proportions that happened in Canada to Canadians should have got more press.... maybe I just am to young to grasp the significance of space travel...)

Hey Man, I'm with you on that one. I like hearing about things that hit a little closer to home...maybe that's what the local news if for though. Anyhow, maybe it's just me, but I'd like the news to focus on the positive just once in a while. In the past couple years, I have walked into way too many rooms to see whole groups of people glued to the T.V. watching one of: 9-11 terror attacks, the shuttle columbia disaster, constant war news, George Bush threatening somebody, the queen dying, OJ fleeing in a white bronco (this one might be a little older). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm sick of newsstations just grasping onto 1 terrible act or issue and driving me crazy with it. I realize that these things are awful, but there are sooooo many of these types of things that go on every day where many more people die. I'm really due for a feel good story about a peace treaty being signed or an environmental bill being passed (and acted upon). I'd like to see something positive get more than a once over on the air. There's my monday morning rant. I guess a whole weekend watching 7 people die in a terrific explosion can really put a guy in a sour mood.

Holy shit! I had no idea the shuttle could go that fast.

There was a train crash that same day and 34 people died. Why don't I hear anyone talking about that. I'm sick and fucking tired of american, over-sensationalized, self-serving, self-centered bull shit. What a fucking bunch of ass-backward, greed frenzied, bullies. I wish China would come over and kick them right in the ass.

i can tell you this... the chinese space shuttle can only do four times the speed of light, maximum...

a chinese invasion would be just tickety-boo and while yer at it just have the north koreans drop a couple of megatons on sudbury or kamloops...

i don't think the sensationalism is limited to the americans, i mean those freakin' brits invented the tabloids and john manley is nothing but a crazy show-boater

Archived