Jambands.ca

your favorite Pedal Steel tunes?

Tenenbaum

The Iron & Wine and Calexico EP has some sweet pedal steel on it.. "In The Reins" and "16 Maybe Less" come to mind.

That Lanois album 'Belladonna' is amazing!

Phish's studio version of "Roggae" has some cool pedal steel by Gordon Stone.

For something different, the song "Not Your Enemy" by The Slackers heavily features pedal steel and they are a reggae band.

I'm gonna check out that Ryan Adams album!

Has anyone out there ever heard Ben Keith's solo album? It's called 'To A Wild Rose' and it came out in 1984. Here's some info on it:

1984's To A Wild Rose (En Pointe), featured his steel along with the guitar of J.J. Cale and Paul Butterfield's harmonica (it would be the legendary bluesman's last recording).

I also learned that that's Ben Keith alongside Patsy Cline on "I Fall To Pieces".

http://www.thecoolgroove.com/ben.html

ditto on the Junior thing, he plays a lap steel.

How about anything off of Blue Rodeo's Five Days in July? The freakin' pedal solos on that record smoke like it's nobodies business. Still havn't found out if that was Bob Egan, though I doubt it as he joined Rodeo in 2001 or 2002, well after Five Days. (someone here I know can track that down....)

Anything that Buddy Emmons plays on.

Neil Franz III who played with Gram Parsons in the Fallen Angels (who was also from Toronto) is also a sick good steel player.

You could also go with the very obvious (yet not mentioned except via The Word) anything by Robert Randolph....

CSN Teach your Children is also/actually Jerry playing steel.

How about anything off of Blue Rodeo's Five Days in July? The freakin' pedal solos on that record smoke like it's nobodies business.

funny you mention that because that's how this whole thing got started; i was just in Vegas visiting an old college sweetheart and she was playing that album in the car...

ditto on the Junior thing, he plays a lap steel.

How about anything off of Blue Rodeo's Five Days in July? The freakin' pedal solos on that record smoke like it's nobodies business. Still havn't found out if that was Bob Egan, though I doubt it as he joined Rodeo in 2001 or 2002, well after Five Days. (someone here I know can track that down....)

Anything that Buddy Emmons plays on.

Neil Franz III who played with Gram Parsons in the Fallen Angels (who was also from Toronto) is also a sick good steel player.

You could also go with the very obvious (yet not mentioned except via The Word) anything by Robert Randolph....

CSN Teach your Children is also/actually Jerry playing steel.

Anything pre-Egan in Blue Rodeo would have been Kim Deschamps, who now makes his living in Austin as a hired gun. Incidentally, I take steel lessons from Bob, he's an awesome dude and an incredible player.

I recorded Kim for a country album I recorded in the late 90's for a Kitchener guy named Trevor Casemore... recorded in my dank basement 'studio' beside me with his amp in another room...He is a stellar player - one listen through the tune and he could nail it...

I still have all the raw tracks actually, just listened to a few of them the other week when I was going through archives looking for something...stellar!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you can find it' date=' check out the album Minors Aloud, by Buddy Emmons and Lenny Breau. It's on the Flying Fish label.[/quote']

Just checked and its on OiNK.

I must say, this isn't my cup of pedal-steel tea. While I can appreciate what Buddy Emmons did for the the instrument, I guess I like my pedal steel more countryfied and less jazzy.

The Ryan Adams record Jacksonville City Nights is riddled with heart-wrenching steel and the song Hard Way to Fall boasts one of my absolute favourite steel lines ever recorded, even though it's so simple. It's the line under the lyric, "That she doesn't have to worry, and it'll be alright." Take it from a real-life steel player - it's a heavy tune.

Great tune and a great album, thanks Rev! The chorus in the song "Dear John" (w/ Norah Jones) is also a heavy. Funny enough, that song has no pedal steel.

Glad you dug the record KevO. His new one has some good steel playing on it too, nothing like Jacksonville though.

Jaimoe I'm just letting this video load up, it looks killer.

(ahem) If I may be so bold, have a listen to the Surly Young Bucks' tune Edmonton, there's a live version available on our MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/thesurlyyoungbucks . That's me on the steel. I'm particularly happy with this performances, it's way better than the one we recorded last year. Still a little raw (it's live after all) but all the elements are there I feel. My friend Max wrote the tune and I think it's a monstrously heavy song.