Jambands.ca

Bela Fleck (July 6) Blues Fest Roll Call

bradm

I think tonight is the first Blues Fest night that's really got me charged up, with The Souljazz Orchestra (7:15pm, River Stage), followed by Bela Fleck And The Flecktones (8:00pm, Rogers Stage). As well, Femi Kuti is on the River Stage at 9:00pm, and I think it's right behind the Rogers Stage, so it should be possible to catch a bunch of Fleck, then duck over for some Femi Kuti. (Kid Koala is also on around then, on the Blacksheep Stage at 9:15pm.)

The big headliner tonight is George Thorogood & The Destroyers (9:30pm, MBNA Stage), and while I might stay for some of his set, I won't feel that I'm missing much if I opt to duck out and get some sleep for the days to come.

Who all is in?

Aloha,

Brad

I think y'all would dig Reverb Syndicate. Instrumental spy-movie soundtrack type music. they are early though, 6 pm on the Rogers stage. I shall be there, then souljazz, then Femi i do believe. I may pop in at Fleck for a bass solo or two.

I think y'all would dig Reverb Syndicate. Instrumental spy-movie soundtrack type music. they are early though, 6 pm on the Rogers stage.

Thanks for the tip; I might try to make it out in time to catch (at least some of) their set.

Aloha,

Brad

[color:green]jealous.

both at Bela Fleck and the sweet moment of drunk George Thorogood fans squaring off with pompous lawn chairers

"I want bourbon, I want scotch... I want you to get the fuck off my freakin case before I wrap that god-damed chair around your gay assed Ray Bans!!!"

I caught thoroughgood's stage entrance on my way out. It was very 2001-a-space-odyssey-ish.

The crowd went ballistic. They love lights and timpani's I guess ;)

Bela has the same show formula as always. The playing is top-tear, but the little wow moments (2 sax jeff coffin, bela's solo banjo with teases) seem to contrived after the 4th time seeing them. ON the other hand, it's alot of fun to see a shitload of other people getting off like I would have for my first time.

It's great to run into skanks randomly throughout the venue that appears to be chaos at times. There are so many people there yet it seems that all the good people gravitate together and magically meet up.

I ran into shane and keri while I was trying to find an entrance on the wrong sad. Later we saw Rob Not Bob in white rock shirt with pink lettering ..."skid row"? (he's always got the best shirts).

I saw Bradm in the distance enjoying Jazz Soul Orchestra (misprounced from Soul Jazz Orchestra). They're top-notch FUNKY!

I ran into Lara in bela's photo pit and also met some new photo friends who were all sharing stories of the last couple of days.

Afterwards, with a beer I saw the rest of the Lauzon's. Soon after I was grabbed by Meagan who was there with some friends.

Meagan: "Oh look, there's Pat's head bobbing up and down."

Me: "Hey Tom is with him!"

Headed over to say hi and right behind the brennan's there's stapes, rubber "birthday boy" dinghy, steph, del, Mr. Sean Taylor and i believe dinghy's brother shashfrphand. Trev, Rosie, AD, and some guy that Stapes picked up while in Mexico were all ready to go to Femi.

I left after realizing I had no helmet and lights for my bike and it was getting dark (really, it wasn't that I was just zonked and wanted to hit the road).

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow, but even still AD mentioned an indoor theater show with 2 great guitarists around 3:15 so I plan on checking that out. He'd better be right or I'm going to make a scene!

my guess is that if the crowd control and pathway issue isn't resolved for tonight, the George Thoroughgood show is going to be a mess. He brings out the super drunks.

d_rawk's 2007 bluesfest experience so far:

10:00pm - call cab

10:30pm(ish) - arrive at bluesfest, hoping to catch at least a couple songs. Unfamiliar with the new venue, duck into the first gate I find.

10-?? - Oh, fuck. George fucking-who-know? This is cock rock. I like rock. I like ...

But seriously, who listens to this? Why is everybody so trashy looking? I can't find anybody in this crowd. Stop applauding. You are only encouraging him.

10:?? + .5 - Buy a beer. Drink that beer. Hightail it the fuck out of there.

11:00pm-minutes: cab it the hell home.

Here's to banking on tomorrow. :)

I thought the sound quality at Femi was absolutely terrible. Is that just me or did anyone else find the mix unbearabley loud and wayyyyyy too much treble?

Also, went to Mavericks after for my first time and all I can say was holy shit can someone tell the sound guy that there are actually other instruments besides the bass? Again, maybe its just me and you guys are used to that but I found the sound to be BASS, with a few instruments mixed in the background.