Jambands.ca

Live Earth Concerts

Jaimoe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone catch Yusef Islam's set in Hamburg? He put on a nice show and even played a cover of Cat Steven's "Wild World".

Nellie and I REALLY enjoyed that! His voice has really kept over the years. I really liked Foo Fighters set, that nap I took during John Mayer and watching the Pussycat Dolls on mute.

The Police were kicking butt until Message In A Bottle. Why Kanye West was allowed near a mic I'll never know... and where was Sheryl Crow? I can't recall her ever missing out on a tribute album/charity/fundraiser festival etc...

I worked the show tonight and was really digging Roger Waters and The Police. I was telling anyone who would listen: "They are fucking great! They haven't lost a step at all. Andy’s ripping it up. Stewart is hammering the drums. Awesome!!!! And Sting's an underrated bassist too. His voice is still strong as hell". I was really fucking excited... and then John Mayer strolled onto the stage and I yelled-out in MuchMuusic master control: "WHAT THE FUCK??!! NOOOOOOO!"

But moments later, I stared agast at the monitor after Sting said the name: "Kanye West". Jam bands constantly ruin songs with all-star jams, so I never saw this Sting debacle coming. I feel cheated. I would have preferred Sheryl Crow instead of Kanye.

I feel no shame in saying that Madonna's performance rocked harder than anyone else I saw today. And I disagree with Jaimoe and Booche - Mayer completely botched his attempted harmony on the classic Message riff, while Kayne's rapping was a lot of fun.

And I disagree with Jaimoe and Booche - Mayer completely botched his attempted harmony on the classic Message riff, while Kayne's rapping was a lot of fun.

Kanye's rapping distracted me from keying in on Mayer. I could tell from the way he played the main Message riff that he wasn't doing it right, without even really hearing him.

metallica is kicking ass!

It's amazing how good they are when they aren't backed by a 40-piece orchestra. Man' date=' Dave Hetfield looks horrific in HD.

[/quote']

James Hetfield, ahem. hehe. His goatee was about a foot long and disgusting. Speaking of disgusting, how about robert trujillo on the bass? he's a wicked fit for metallica, and now that they actually turn up the bottom end they are much more full-sounding and scary-good live than before.

they opened with Sad But True. Wicked.

I am completely a Metallica newbie but thanks to my nextdoor neighbour from Australia, I have been getting brought up to speed on the depth of that band. Thanks to him I own a dvd of Metallica playing in the Oakland Coliseum's parking lot prior to a Raiders game. Unfortuanately Newstead had left by this time but its such a unique view into a crazy, drunken band-crush involving hardcore Black Hole freaks.

I do know one thing. That current bass dude is fucking scorching. Speaking of which, every music fan on this board should rent Some Kind Of Monster.

I could tell from the way he played the main Message riff that he wasn't doing it right

During the first verse, I heard him doing the exact lines that Andy was doing. The second verse saw him totally fall behind the drums and lag (I'm guessing he lost what he had created backstage) but the third heard us a cool layer.

I listened to Suicidal Tendencies a lot from about 93 - 98 and he was awesome back then. Then I forgot about him for 5 or 6 years and he shows up in Metallica. That's a sweet gig.

Newsted was never happy as the bass was always soooo low in the mix. Now Trujillo is just blasting away at full volume and it's so good.