Jambands.ca

Recommended Ottawa Restaurants?

Northern Wish

It's a bit far from downtown (it's right beside the Lincoln Fields Mall), but I like Biagio's for Italian. I think it's a bit more of a modern style than some of the places on Preston (which isn't a slight against them, just an observation), but it has good food, a nice upscale decor, and even a patio (that doesn't have that great a view, but at least it's there).

Aloha,

Brad

Chinese - Ben Ben on Somerset near Arthur (no delivery that i know of, but take-out is a yes)

Thai - um... i used to like Siam Kitchen in Old Ottawa South but have since stopped going there since I discovered more places once I got mobile. Also there is another crappy place in the market on Dalhousie called Royal Thai. Green Papaya was good, but I haven't been to their new location yet. If it's the same as the old place I have no complaints there. Waiting for a night to try Khao Thai on Murray near Dalhousie

Italian - not sure if it classifies as 'italian', but my favourite pasta place by far is the Eclectic Noodle, in Sandy Hill. Great great restaurant. Somerset E and Russell Ave.

Green Papaya on Preston is v. mediocre, haven't heard a positive review yet

I love Da Sergio on Preston for italian- best calamari i've ever had, although it wasn't as perfect last time i had it, early this summer

Allegro on Preston is good too, as are most on preston except pub italia, ciccio's (v. hit and miss) and maybe one or two others

shanghai is good for chinese, Yang Tze is good for dim sum, i'll second the Ben Ben call as well.

booche loves Hong Kong for delivered chinois

Edited by Guest
forgot a few

i'd be all ears if someone were to recommend something with similar food and ambiance for a lesser price. i'm sometimes willing to try something new. i don't eat at restaurants much anymore, but i've liked that place every time i've been.

Thai, try Hot Peppers on Somerset (near lyon). I ate there once and would like to go back. Mike and Sharon's Thai is good too ;)

Chinese, I would vote against Ben Ben after having one of the worst chinese plates in Ottawa. I would suggest Mekong and agree on the Shanghai. I'm sure they both deliver.

Has anyone had the City Beef at City Wok?

For Pho, try out the Noodle House across the street from Mekong. That's REALLY GOOD!

Allegro or Giovanni's were 2 of the best italian places that I've been to.

here is a sentence or two from my better half about Pho

The vegetarian place in Chinatown that I really liked has apparently gone under. I tried to get some food there last night but there was a new place opening soon.

I like Green Tea on Elgin but I cannot speak for their meats. Pho Bo La and its spin-offs are also very popular with the people

i'd be all ears if someone were to recommend something with similar food and ambiance for a lesser price. i'm sometimes willing to try something new. i don't eat at restaurants much anymore, but i've liked that place every time i've been.

Sorry I don't have any alternatives. Are you suggesting that if I don't have anything nice to say, etc? ;)

I generally only complain about something I care about. I think they can do better. And wish they would because the restaurant is local to me. Maybe it's time to try them again.

no wasn't complaining at all, i was just wondering if you were comparing it to another place specifically but weren't saying the name.

i haven't been there in about 6 months, i think it's time i went again. generally only go there for special occasions, because like you said it's a bit pricey. but for the frequency at which i go i'm ok with paying a bit more. maybe i shouldn't be. hmmmm.

anyways, good food eh!

booche loves Hong Kong for delivered chinois

We had it a second time and it wasnt nearly as good.

since you have a car, i dunno the name but the chinese place on the SE corner of bank st. and foxbar (near walkley) is really good.

I'll give that a shot. Also, try Pho Bamboo which is about a block north on the other side of the street. Its right beside Lick's. We've gotten it alot.

no wasn't complaining at all, i was just wondering if you were comparing it to another place specifically but weren't saying the name.

I suppose I was comparing it (in my head) to a great pasta joint on Yonge St. that I ate at last time in TO. Totally casual eat-in or take-out place, pasta cooked to order, delicious and at a super reasonable price. I would love to have a place like that in my neighbourhood and you're mention of The Noodle reminded me of that. Most of my frustration with the Ottawa restaurant scene is in comparison to the funky little eateries that litter Toronto and Montreal.

Guess I should have mentioned that up front. ;)

Capones is a pretty good Italian joint if you are looking for stuff that mama makes...Christ, I lived off of thier meatball melts for a few years....they also make a mean toasted ravioli

2361 Carling near Lincoln Fields.

and if you are looking for "fake" chinese as I like to call it...Won Ton House is delicious.

DO NOT EAT AT THE GOLDEN RIVER IN CHINATOWN.

Since I was last at the Northern 2, on Sommerset near Booth, the name has changed, but it still has the Northern in it. Sorry, I can't remember the new title. Either way, the food there is the real deal, or so my Chinese friend tells me, and the have the best dumplings I've tasted. The only English on the specials board is the mysterious "Meat Dragon."

Try them out, they are cheap. Howler should be able to testify to this as well.

Also, more honkified, So Good Restaurant is in the same area and great, especially for vegetarians. Shanghai can be fun especially on Karaoke night, which is Thursdays. It's family-run by a very cool family.

Fettucine's take-out is pretty good, for what it is.

Mama Grazzi's in the market is all right, too.

Fettucine's is ok, I find their stuffed pastas pretty bland but it's not something you can make every day at home so I'll get it once in a while.

Has anyone been to Manila Hut (Somerset and Bayswater?) I'm going on Friday having never had Filipino food before.

Wonton House on Wellington is great for American style chinese food, also Cathay which is located on Albert at Bank. Real deal Asian- I most enjoy Vietnamese- Pho Bo Ga, Golden Turtle, but also So Good (yes on the Wu Se- veg. or chicken), Shanghai and Northern Han (x-Northern 2).. mmm

Manx is good for any meal. yumm. and best and freshest tasting draught selection in town.

Italian- I think Capone's is good too, but I prefer IlPiccolino, Pub Italia on Preston.. Giovanni's is apparently great too.

eat well.