Jambands.ca

I call Bullshit on....

Hal Johnson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, eff facebook too.. I mean, I'll porbably join at some point for networking/ promo purposes maybe but here's something...

Buddy from TO was in town this past weekend.. his band and some cool street percussion type players were playing at the schoolhouse in Chatham.. I didn't find out until it was too late to go. Would have really liked to. Talked to him the next day and said, hey, you gotta let me know a bit in advance. His response, "you gotta get on facebook." I see it as a easy way out of actually contacting people and letting them know about things. "Op, well, I facebook invited all of my 'friends', I gues I'm all done hyping the show!" Pfft.

As somebody who literally has 8 bands' worth of shows to hype, I can speak to the ease of Facebook in promoting. The ridiculous task of sending mass e-mails is eliminated - no more guessing whether you have the right address for people, no more accidentally misspelling e-mail addresses, no more Postmaster Mail Returned or whatever e-mails from people who have changed addresses.

With Facebook, people who actually care are notified in a concise manner and it allows them to reply on the spot without typing an e-mail, and it gives them quick and easy access to all the details and even some pictures if they like, as well as a forum to ask questions about the event. For people who don't care, ignoring a Facebook invitation is 100 times easier than ignoring an e-mail. People get angry about getting 'spammed' with show promo e-mails - if they get Facebook invites they don't care about, whatever. In short, everybody wins, and I've been telling my friends the same thing - if you want to hear about my gigs, you gotta get on Facebook. I don't have to say it too often though because people are getting the picture.

Anywee, that's my two cents on the topic. Back on track now, I second the call of bullshit on working for a living.

Yeah' date=' eff facebook too.. I mean, I'll porbably join at some point for networking/ promo purposes maybe but here's something...

Buddy from TO was in town this past weekend.. his band and some cool street percussion type players were playing at the schoolhouse in Chatham.. I didn't find out until it was too late to go. Would have really liked to. Talked to him the next day and said, hey, you gotta let me know a bit in advance. His response, "you gotta get on facebook." I see it as a easy way out of actually contacting people and letting them know about things. "Op, well, I facebook invited all of my 'friends', I gues I'm all done hyping the show!" Pfft.[/quote']

As somebody who literally has 8 bands' worth of shows to hype, I can speak to the ease of Facebook in promoting. The ridiculous task of sending mass e-mails is eliminated - no more guessing whether you have the right address for people, no more accidentally misspelling e-mail addresses, no more Postmaster Mail Returned or whatever e-mails from people who have changed addresses.

With Facebook, people who actually care are notified in a concise manner and it allows them to reply on the spot without typing an e-mail, and it gives them quick and easy access to all the details and even some pictures if they like, as well as a forum to ask questions about the event. For people who don't care, ignoring a Facebook invitation is 100 times easier than ignoring an e-mail. People get angry about getting 'spammed' with show promo e-mails - if they get Facebook invites they don't care about, whatever. In short, everybody wins, and I've been telling my friends the same thing - if you want to hear about my gigs, you gotta get on Facebook. I don't have to say it too often though because people are getting the picture.

Anywee, that's my two cents on the topic. Back on track now, I second the call of bullshit on working for a living.

Now you say "if you want to hear about my gigs..." but isn't it the band that needs to do the work on getting the word out, not the other way around. Seems kind of fucked up to me that you would put all of your eggs in that basket. If Fuckbook went down on a tuesday and you had a gig on friday would you cancel the gig because facebook was down and you didn't think anyone would come? or would you start using the other avenues available to you?

PS-you have too many bands dude.

Buddy from TO was in town this past weekend.. his band and some cool street percussion type players were playing at the schoolhouse in Chatham.. I didn't find out until it was too late to go. Would have really liked to. Talked to him the next day and said, hey, you gotta let me know a bit in advance. His response, "you gotta get on facebook." I see it as a easy way out of actually contacting people and letting them know about things. "Op, well, I facebook invited all of my 'friends', I gues I'm all done hyping the show!" Pfft.

That show was probably CRAWLING with CIA! Be glad you didn't go or you would probably be in jail being tortured by now..... oh yeah fuck facebook!

if we're still calling bullshit, i would like to nominate everybody loves raymond. for some reason i hate that show with a passion.

oh and i like facebook, mostly for the pictures. willy you may be surprised to know that i do think [not as much in the summer, admittedly] and i don't shop at walmart. :P

BTW, i call bullshit on the Woodward Dream Cruise. you guys probably haven't heard of it, but people come from all over to drive around in their old cars on woodward avenue, causing my normally 10-15 minute drive to work to turn into a 45 minute drive. plus, it's only supposed to be this saturday, but people have been setting up their lawnchairs on the side of the road all week!

I call bullshit on the four guys that stand on the foul-line at Jays games between innings. They just stare at the crowd and then go sit down once play begins. They're too small to be security and def not dressed the part. Who are they and why are they there? Bulllllshit.

I second this BS call. WTF?

I was on the third base side about 10 feet towards the outfield and three rows from the field, close to the one guy earlier this year when TO played Boston. he warms up the left fielder between innings sometimes and the drunk guys behind me were heckling him for dropping a liner that went foul.

Hilarious.

I was on the third base side about 10 feet towards the outfield and three rows from the field, close to the one guy earlier this year when TO played Boston. he warms up the left fielder between innings sometimes and the drunk guys behind me were heckling him for dropping a liner that went foul.

Hilarious.

Basher and I have sat there a few times and there are always drunk guys heckling somebody in that area...