Jambands.ca

New Live Phish release - 12/06/96

Kanada Kev

From Jambands.com:

"As Relix subscribers have already discovered via their CD Sampler, a new live Phish recording is slated for release this fall. 12/06/96 Aladdin Theater Las Vegas, NV captures the band's final show on a thirty-five date tour. The version of

"Julius" that appears on the sampler, opens the second set of a show that is best-known for its encore. Primus' Les Claypool and Larry LaLonde joined in for much of "Harpua," which also featured guest appearances by John McEuen and four

Elvis impersonators, with Primus' drummer Brian Mantia later stepping for the "Suzy Greenberg" that followed and closed out the night."

Billy Breathes... that one will stand the test of time however.

Was that supposed to be in purple ;) ? (I'd put my money on Rift, if anything.)

This is a band that I'm still interested in discovering, post facto; I'm sure other bands have been and are around that play at the same level, needing only to be given the same exposure and social dynamics. I only find it's a shame that they seem never to have quite nailed much lyrical depth (but then, that's why I still find the Dead such a fetish for me all these years later).

I'm sure other bands have been and are around that play at the same level, needing only to be given the same exposure and social dynamics.

Didnt John Lennon once answer a question regarding the success of the Beatles with:

'And if I have an answer, I would bottle it and sell it.'

Dont belittle the Phish. It may be dated to some and most likely will be a footnote in the grand scheme of things but to those that know........

23ti8g4.jpg

uno2.jpg

When Phish comes on my I-tunes... for most songs, I can only think one thing: Dated. The Beatles don't... Zeppelin... not so much, but Phish... it has now become a time and a place. And that's the past.

Billy Breathes... that one will stand the test of time however.

I'm in the same boat. Not that I agree with the BB proviso. But yeah, good songs last forever. Then there's Guyute, etc.

Funny, really the only Phish CD I can still listen to these days is Round Room, and it's probably the one most universally panned by their fanbase.

It has good songs.

You guys make Phish out to be some sort of novelty act.

Oh totally that's it! For me Phish was a great way to introduce me to older tunes through their covers. Maybe that was their downfall. I mean I could relate to them cause they were nerdy kids from the suburbs, and they had all this access to great music, and it works well for a live show playing all the greats. But then I started listening to the Originals, and then the Phish covers again, then the originals, and now... please just give me the originals... Then... atleast for my tastes, it tainted their playing abilities in my mind, in that the Originals 10 times out of 10 are far better than Phish's pass at them. Great, quirky players for sure, and by quirk... I mean alot of quirk... Zappaesque quirk... but they've got their opportunity... took it, and then had it implode into a hissy fit of primadonnaness and drugs just when they were getting to the "Oh my god, we are getting Rolling Stones big..." At that point I felt the band had too many fans... and I jumped off the band wagon... You guys can stay on... but I don't see the need to cling on to something which as I previously said... seem to have it's time and place.

Would I travel anywhere to see Phish? Only if it involved public transit. And since the heady reuion is no where in sight the only thing I have left are albums and live shows. And what is a live show if nothing else than a little bit of novelty from the experience. Which makes me wonder Hal... if they aren't a Novelty act. What are they?

I still like listening to some Phish songs, especially in the company of friends, and double especially if they groove out and pull out their glow sticks, and raver glasses on the 401 when "Lets go out to diner and see a movie" comes on the radio... Boiler Rat.... But when it comes to quickly skipping a phish track more often than letting it play when it comes up on the old Party Shuffle, you can't stop me. And at the end of the day, I'm entiltled to my opinion.

I hear it's a new live release. I suppose you're all going out to buy it. Well when you do. Tell me how it is. I'd love to know!

I have been doing a lot of travellng as of late, between Thunder Bay and Toronto, and have had ample time to listen to music.

I put a ton of live Phish onto my ipod before I left, i needed some rest from Ryam Adams. I think adams had become like crack cocaine for me, adn it was time for a change.

I was suprised at how much I enjoyed the live phish recordings again. I too have been part of the camp that felt phish's original material had the capability to be a "time and place" kind of thing.

..But then I started thinking, fuck all music is a time and place kind of thing. I mean you can't tell me that when you are listening to Led Zeppelin that your memories don't wonder off to some time back in High School at a house party rocking out to zep while smoking bottle tokes in the garage.

So yeah, phish is time and place, but a time and place that I loved, so I guess to me then, they become timeless..if that makes any sense.

Music and nastalgia really do go hand in hand in many cases, they remind us of the good, the bad and the ugly.

I am not sure what I am getting at anymore, other than to say, I like live phish?

I kinda know where you are goin, cause I was tying to write a post early, pretty much along the same lines and felt I was losin my way as I wrote...hehe plus something messed up while I was tryin to post and lost what I had struggled to write...so I said fuck it..ha

but ya...all Phish still gets me very excited inside...

anyways time to get outside into this beautiful day :D

So yeah, phish is time and place, but a time and place that I loved, so I guess to me then, they become timeless..if that makes any sense.

Agreed with an asterisk.

I have no problem with the assertion that some of the sound is dated (whatever that means, less advanced, less modified, is 73 Dead dated?) However, quality playing and improvisation never go out of style. I'm not sure that I will go as ga-ga as I did back in the day upon receiving the tape of Les Claypool sitting in with the boys, because I am not anxiously awaiting the next great thing, but listening to The Clifford Ball all this week certainly reminded me that there is no shame in relistening to a band over and over at the point of their musical mastery.

Tune in to Live Phish Radio this Thursday at 2PM EDT for a special broadcast of our most recent Live Phish release: 10/21/95 Lincoln, NE.

Available now at LivePhish.com on CD, as well as MP3, FLAC, and video downloads:

Phish

10/21/95 Pershing Auditorium, Lincoln, NE

http://nugs.net/pusherman.asp?show=17864&from=email

SET ONE

Tweezer Reprise (3:08)

Chalk Dust Torture (7:22)

Guelah Papyrus (5:52)

Reba (14:15)

Wilson (5:19)

Cars Trucks Buses (3:35)

Kung (4:30)

The Lizards (10:17)