Jambands.ca

Current Favourites?

SolarGarlic

Howdy all....

Just wondering what music people are hooked on these days? What artist/group has been your "go to" guy/gal/disc/playlist over the last while? I'm looking for something new and am open to all options and opinions.

Lately I have been hooked on all things Sadies and think they are my favourite Canadian band right now. Ive also been into the latest Wilco release.

What are you hooked on?

I know this thread always comes up but it's always a good read....

Totally agree with Sky Blue Sky... had it on in the truck tonight... Ive found that to be in my top 3 for cd's this year... Easy Tiger by Ryan Adams is also up there but my newest find thats blowing my mind is Wookiefoot... now i know they've been around for a few years but these guys are tonnes of fun... tonnes of smelly wookie fun...

Post script... dont let the name wookiefoot scare you away... think sublime meets Bob Marley meets dj electronica meets rock... a couple of releases are available on onik but i havent found any live shows yet...

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I'm in a holding pattern right now awaiting the new Radiohead album. Which is coming. Soon. Really.

::Rocking on the floor muttering to self "Radiohead is coming. Radiohead is coming."::

But in the meantime I've been on a download frenzy trying to find some stuff that would satiate my relentless appetite for music that is good.

Here's what I'm listening to currently:

- Califone "Roots & Crowns"

- Maps "We Can Create"

- Fionn Regan "The End of History"

- LCD Soundsystem "Sound of Silver"

- Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins "Rabbit Fur Coat"

- Most anything Neil Young

- Stretch "Elastique"

I'm going to have to check out some Ryan Adams. really don't know much about him.

SOme of the major players of the summer have been:

- Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

- Miracle Fortress, Five Roses

- Kevin Drew, Spirit If... (posted about it last week, but it dropped like a stone ;))

- Dead.net Tapers' section tracks. If you haven't checked out the weekly nuggets that Dave Lemieux harvests for download, do it now.

- Serge Gainsbourg (yeah, wierd, I know).

- Serge Gainsbourg (yeah' date=' wierd, I know).[/quote']

Blane, I think you might like this album: Monsieur Gainsbourg: Revisited. It's a bunch of 'popular' English artists of today re-interpreting his songs. Feist is on there, Cat Power, Portishead, Tricky, Michael Stipe, The Kills, Jarvis Cocker, etc...

It's not the same, but I really like it.

AD, grabbed it off the pig last week (mid-kick).

Neko Case, Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley were all over the stereo this summer.

I am not really digging the new Rilo Kiley stuff on the myspace though...anyone else listen?

I just listened. Wow... what a departure. It went from singer songwriter with backing band to full on music project...

They really seem to be showcasing the lead guitar player, and have other lead singers?!! And the song writing isn't nearly as good as her last couple of albums.

No, do not like it... they're knocking on sell out door forsure. Just like Kanye.

I just listened. Wow... what a departure. It went from singer songwriter with backing band to full on music project...

They really seem to be showcasing the lead guitar player, and have other lead singers?!! And the song writing isn't nearly as good as her last couple of albums.

I suppose I will be more curious to hear the next Jenny Lewis/Watson Twins showcase than this Rilo disc....Seeing as how this is more of a band/group effort rather than a Jenny Lewis effort.

ahhh change, we just hate it ;)

- Dead.net Tapers' section tracks. If you haven't checked out the weekly nuggets that Dave Lemieux harvests for download' date=' do it now.[/quote']

You cant download them. Its been that way for a couple of weeks.

Damn! Just looked at that. August 27th was the switch. Why does the dead have to turn things to shit all the time? It was a great system, came from within their "circle", wasn't excessive (a few tracks, not full shows). Sucks. Not to mention the lame-ass excuse offered for changing, "we didn't think you guys would download the mp3's". Who's going to buy that?

Look at the comments made:

http://www.dead.net/features/tapers-section/august-27-september-2-2007

Edited by Guest

Along with Bright Eyes and Ryan Adams who haven't left my car since I got them, the following albums also call the car home-the place I enjoy listening to music the most and also have the time to.Not really new bands in general but newish albums.

Just got this one and love the Joy Division esque sound...

A Perfect Place to Bury Strangers –A Perfect Place to Bury Strangers

Califone-Roots and Crowns(Somebody else mentioned this but it's a great album)

The Sea and Cake- Everybody

Deerhunter- Cryptogram

Destroyer-Destroyer’s Rubies

The Hold Steady- Boys and Girls in America

Okkervil River-The Stage Names

Caribou-Andorra

Band of Horses-Everything All the Time

Beastie Boys-The Mix Up

Aesop Rock-None Shall Pass

Tapes n Tapes-The Loon