Jambands.ca

Mule in Montreal this Friday

bouche

Who's going? I'm starting to get excited for this. Got my shit together and I'm hoping to hear some of the new stuff off of Mighty High. I heard a sweet cover of "The Shape I'm In" on Sirius a couple of weeks ago and I think Steph said that it is on that release which is due out soon.

I haven't really decided. I know I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency (thanks Priceline) but my timeline is in the air. I just booked my room today and fully decided to go.

I was on the fence, mainly because we're seeing Ryan Adams in Montreal next week but how often does the Mule come anywhere NEAR Ottawa?

I've also managed to get a photo pass and Freak By Night has promised a show review! (there, you're stuck Dave!) So there's more incentive.

I heard a sweet cover of "The Shape I'm In" on Sirius a couple of weeks ago and I think Steph said that it is on that release which is due out soon.

It was released already (On January 30, 2007) on the Endless Highway: Music of The Band compilation.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to Gov't Mule CDs to pick up on Friday? I'm thinking about the Roseland 1995 one, but the new reggae/dub one isn't out yet (I think), so what else should I pick up? (I also may get a t-shirt, so don't want to get more than one or two CD titles.)

Aloha,

Brad

Setlist from Tuesday:

09.11.07 Merrill Auditorium - Portland, ME

Set 1:

Rockin' In The Freeworld

Larger Than Life Paint It Black Tease

Thelonius Beck

Nothing Again

A Million Miles From Yesterday

Painted Silver Light

Beautifully Broken->

You Can't Always Get What You Want Jam->

Beautifully Broken

I'll Be The One

Thorazine Shuffle->

Birdland-> First Time Played

Thorazine Shuffle

Set 2:

Bad Little Doggie

Perfect Shelter

Devil Likes It Slow

Brighter Days->

Drums

It's My Own Fault First Time Played

Unring The Bell

Mule

Encore:

I Shall Be Released Dedicated To Hughie Thomasson

Yes, I did say that.

Due to a lack of time today, I'm just going to cut-n-paste my email to Booche about the Fredericton Mule show last night. There was a HUGE crowd out to see them at the Harvest Jazz & Blues Fest main stage. Enjoy in Mtl tonight guys.

I have to be honest, through the first 4 songs I thought I really wasn't going to enjoy the show. Standard blues and southern rock inspired songs, solid but unspectacular playing. Comment seldom heard at a Mule show – I thought it could have been louder.

Then Thorazine Shuffle kicked things up a notch, and the next song (a reggae-ish number, "only the darkness to keep you warm", Time To Confess?) really killed. And I mean really killed, it completely turned the show around for me. They followed with a soulful ballad (piss break for me) and then an awesome She Said, She Said > Tomorrow Never Knows jam where they never actually launched into the song proper. Super cool.

Empty Pages (Traffic cover) was the highlight for me. A perfectly chosen cover for that band, the Wurlitzer and organ parts were bang on. About 90 minutes in they did Drums in lieu of a set break. And I thought it was awful, complete garbage, a bar band level drum solo from a guy whom I think otherwise is a monster drummer.

After the drum break, they did 3 or 4 more songs and really jammed them out – a lot more than the "first set". Soulshine encore. Great show overall. Totally worth the 1:40 drive there and back in one night.

i've never understood the supposed "tomorrow never knows" thing. the versions i've heard sound nothing like "tomorrow never knows" by the beatles. maybe i'm missing something.

hey brad, your video should have gone in the youtube forum methinks.

last time i saw the mule (calgary maybe 2 years ago) the drum solo was stupid, in a bad way. who wants to hear a shitty drum solo? not me.

According to

http://www.mule.net/from_the_road/details.php?year=07&month=09#14

09.14.07 Le Nationale - Montreal, QC

Set 1:

Brand New Angel

Mr. High & Mighty

Lay Your Burden Down->

Smokestack Lightning->

Lay Your Burden Down Reprise

Banks Of The Deep End

Lively Up Yourself

A Million Miles From Yesterday