Jambands.ca

I gotta complain to someone!

StoneMtn

So, here is as good a place as any...

Would you believe that I have a client who I have been fighting with for months, and who has fired me from working on his file (thank goodness!) but he will not take the necessary legal steps to let me get off the record as his lawyer? This means that on MONDAY (ya, this Monday!) this guy has a trial happening, and the Court is expecting me to be there and argue it. The problem is, I've been told unequivocally by the client that I'm not allowed to represent him.

I am actuallly going to have to go all the way down to Court on Monday, dressed in full gowns, and explain to the Court why I'm leaving.

This is idiotic!

Okay:

1. We can't discontinue, because we are the Defendant.

2. He doesn't want me to act for the same reason I don't want to act, which is that he doesn't think I have "faith" in his case. (That is true. We will lose. I won't pretend to have "faith" in something that is crap!)

3. I could send another lawyer from this office, but it's my responsibility. If I don't show up, I could face discipline by the Law Society. I have to go.

Stupid question, and you can answer me with as much disdain as you'd like, but, I was always under the impression that defense lawyers are supposed to act for the client regardless of the amount of faith they have in their clients case? At least, thats what TV has taught me.

Edited by Guest

That's not a stupid question. I am prepared to argue this case, but I will not tell my client he will win if that's not what I believe.

Since I have given him my honest opinion, he surmises I have no "faith" in this action. That is true. I'd still vigorously defend it, though, if he really wanted me to. I'd just end up going down with the ship, but I could live with that.

The description is so vague I would be surprised if there was a problem. My brother's a criminal lawyer and he ambiguously discusses his cases with me all the time.

P.S. You're not the only one with stupid clients! I've asked my brother in all seriousness if some of his clients were developmentally delayed. His answer is usually that they've done too much of whatever drug they're being charged with posessing.