Jambands.ca

Completely made up words or expressions in songs

Rob Not Bob

I always thought a fishwife was the wife of a fishmonger or a female fishmonger, hence "screaming like a fishwife".

My understanding was that "I Am The Walrus" was Lennon's response to critics poring over Dylan's more surreal lyrics, trying to find meaning. Lennon figured he would give them a song that was complete nonsense, and critics would debate endlessly on the "true meaning" of the lyrics. So far, he seems to have been right.

Yeah, I was aware of the whole Lennon/Dylan thing refering to 'I Am The Walrus', I believe his comment was along the lines of "If Bob Dylan can write this crap, so can I" or something to that effect. Altrhough I'm not sure how that applies to this thread.

I guess 'fishwife' can be dropped from my list. I wasn't aware it was an actual word - but now that I look it up I see it means:

1.A woman who sells fish.

2.A woman regarded as coarse and shrewishly abusive.

Learn something new everyday.

But then I would debate that hemi-powered drone wouldn't fit this catergory either. But, I guess it's a matter of interpretation - to me its a simple dig at those guys who drive their cars up and down a main drag/street.

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors

And the boys try to look so hard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan would often sing vocal expressions and not necessarily real words.

That dude was dope!

I believe Dead Can Dance and early Cocteau Twins (which I had mentioned earlier) were working on the same principal ... Magma in fact created their own whole new language to sing in.

[quote name='Alabama Esau

But then I would debate that hemi-powered drone wouldn't fit this catergory either. But' date=' I guess it's a matter of interpretation - to me its a simple dig at those guys who drive their cars up and down a main drag/street.

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors

And the boys try to look so hard

Yeah, looks like as the thread goes on a lot of "nonsense" words or expressions will get cleared up :)

I believe Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan would often sing vocal expressions and not necessarily real words.

That dude was dope!

The Derek Trucks Band likes to tease Ali Khan, great stuff. I have this one CD of his (Khan) where the 'lyric' sounds like "Smoke a doobie all day", and has made for some great interpretive dancing on my part

That dude was dope!

Or maybe you just aren't up to speed with your Urdu?

And I fully agree, that dude was dope!

Edited by Guest
to concur on the dopeness of that dude

That dude was dope!

I believe Dead Can Dance and early Cocteau Twins (which I had mentioned earlier) were working on the same principal ... Magma in fact created their own whole new language to sing in.

And Sigur Ros, too. Sort of, anyway.