Jambands.ca

Pot activist Emery cuts deal for jail sentence with U.S.

Kanada Kev

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/01/14/bc-marcemerycutsdeal.html?ref=rss

Vancouver-based marijuana activist Marc Emery says his lawyers have cut a deal with U.S. prosecutors that would see him soon serving a minimum of five years in jail.

bc-080114-marc-emery-2.jpg

In July 2005, U.S. drug enforcement officials asked that Emery be extradited so he could face charges that he, Greg Williams and Michelle Rainey distributed millions of cannabis seeds to American customers at an annual profit of $3 million.

If Emery and his friends were extradited and found guilty in the U.S., they would each face a minimum 10-year sentence, with a chance of life in prison for the charges of conspiracy to grow marijuana, sell seeds and money laundering.

Emery, who has been free on bail while fighting extradition, told CBC News in an interview on Monday that his lawyers told him there was no hope to refute the U.S. allegations.

He said the Americans were demanding he serve a 10-year sentence, with at least five years in prison.

He said he has agreed to serve at least five years in jail in Canada, if it means his two friends facing the same charges can remain free.

If the federal government accepts the proposal, Emery said he could be behind bars in the U.S. within 60 days.

The U.S. prosecutors office isn't commenting on the plea bargain.

The so-called Prince of Pot has run several times for public office as leader of the Marijuana Party, and has fought several court battles to change Canadian cannabis laws.

The extradition hearing for all three co-accused is scheduled to begin next week in Vancouver.

But although Emery said he would accept the plea bargain to keep his friends from prison, he's adamant he did nothing wrong.

He said he remains bitter that after paying more than $500,000 in income tax from his business, Canadian officials who knew what he was doing have abandoned him.

"The Canadian postal service delivered these seeds for eleven years and knew full well what they were doing and they took my money,'' he said.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People only talk about his pot activism anymore, he's also fought some hard battles for censorship. I fully respect his activities and think it's ridiculous that our government would extradite him. Fuck America's long arm of the law. Why do American policies affect other countries when they don't listen to anyone else? Why can America preach free trade and maintain protectionist laws for its own economy. These are things I hate about America. Most other things I like quite a lot and thoroughly enjoy being in the States, especially down south.

Although I find Emery annoying, I certainly don't view him as criminal. The thought of him having to serve five years in an American prison (or Canadian for that matter) is unjust.

Meanwhile violent and sexual offenders are out in mere months. Hard to handle the 'logic'

Does this mean we won't be hearing from him for at least five years?

Is it still Christmas?!?

You can't seriously think this was a good thing. No matter what you think of the guy, this is not a precedent I think we should set.

The fact that he is taking a guilty plea in order to keep his friends from going to jail, speaks volumes to his character, and earned my respect from that move alone.

The US Embassy and US Consulate are American soil. They're not in Canada. They are surrounded by Canada.

As a person who had to cross the border to go into the one in Vancouver, and suddenly had that deadhead-border-crossing feeling (although dressed in a suit and only there to deliver documents) I can tell you it really isn't Canada in there.

Is it still Christmas?!?

You can't seriously think this was a good thing. No matter what you think of the guy' date=' this is not a precedent I think we should set.

The fact that he is taking a guilty plea in order to keep his friends from going to jail, speaks volumes to his character, and earned my respect from that move alone.

[/quote']

I don't think of him as a hero or a martyr. I think of him as an embarrassment.

I smoke pot and he does not represent me or my concerns.

Is it still Christmas?!?

You can't seriously think this was a good thing. No matter what you think of the guy' date=' this is not a precedent I think we should set.

[/quote']

I don't think of him as a hero or a martyr. I think of him as an embarrassment.

I smoke pot and he does not represent me or my concerns.

What MarcO said.

However, are you not concerned that Canada is freely handing over a Canadian citizen to US authorities for a totally non-violent crime (and the crime is even debatable)???

Canada will protect violent criminals that have fled the US and come to Canada based on the fact that they could face too harsh a penalty Stateside (execution).

Who should we protect?

However, are you not concerned that Canada is freely handing over a Canadian citizen to US authorities for a totally non-violent crime (and the crime is even debatable)???

Canada will protect violent criminals that have fled the US and come to Canada based on the fact that they could face too harsh a penalty Stateside (execution).

Who should we protect?

Well, I do agree with the first part of your statement Kev, he shouldn't being going to jail period, but if it has to be I'd like to think our Gov't would at least put him in jail here. Regardless of what I think of him (which I will keep to myself) I don't like this outcome.

As for Canadian's facing execution in the US, I posted a thread awhile back in the political forum after our Gov't decided they would not fight for Canadians facing the death penalty in the US. And they have upheld it, there is a guy in Texas (execution central) who murdered two native people back in the 80's, he's been fighting to be brought back here and the Gov't won't do it.

Edited by Guest