Jambands.ca

WINE!!

bONES

inspired by the BEER!! thread I thought I would start one on the deliciousness of WINE!!

On Sunday I had the pleasure of hangin' with mooose and we decided to get into the wine :)

I only drink red wine and recently have been stocking up on some different bottles that I have never tried.

The Food&Drink magazine from the LCBO has lots of suggestions and recommendations so I thought I would try some.

The first bottle we uncorked was this AWESOME vintage from Argentina. From the first sip we were both sold!

7308416_7978803_906.jpg

zoloreserve_cabsau_04.jpg

It was so delicious and worth every penny ($17) it cost.

It didn't take long for us to finish off that bottle.

Next was another vintage wine produced in France

VI_1068188_t2.jpg

It's a Château d'Aydie 2003 and did NOT disappoint ($15)

We decided to crack into a third bottle and chose a cheap ($10) bottle from Australia

A 2006 Shiraz Cabernet by J.J. McWilliams

Australie-Shiraz-Cabernet-Mc-Williams.jpg

I would recommend all three varieties, and will definitely be indulging in all of the above again :)

Thanks for the wine tasting party mooosey, let's do it again soon!

So, please add to this thread and fill me in on some of your favourite wines.

cheers

583236_red_wine_2.jpg

I don't know much about wine but I know what I like.

I really like the Yellowtail Shiraz-Grenache.

A really good deal right now at Wine Rack outlets is a 2005 Jackson-Triggs Cabernet Merlot. It's on sale for under $8

(I don't spend a lot of money on wine... but I drink a lot of it...)

There was a CBC show that created a list over the holidays called "The 10 Best Wines Under $10." I've been working my way through the list, probably had about 7 of the 10 so far with no real complaints.

Here it is:

Whites

Hardy's Stamp of Australia

Riesling / Guwurtztraminer 2006

Australia

LCBO Code: 448548

$10.00

Tarapaca

Sauvignon Blanc 2006

LCBO Code: 414185

$9.20

Gray Fox

Chardonnay 2005

LCBO Code: 614271

$7.10

Reds

Alice White

Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz 2005

Australia

LCBO Code: 665489

$7.00

Cono Sur

Pinot Noir 2006

Chile

LCBO Code: 341602

$10.10

Yvon Mau

Merlot 2006

France

LCBO Code: 336743

$9.15

Casal Thaulero

Sangiovese 2005

Italy

LCBO Code: 588996

$7.15

Montalto Nero d'Avola

Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Italy

LCBO Code: 621151

$9.15

Charamba 2004

Portugal

LCBO Code: 352963

$8.65

Tribal

Merlot 2004

South Africa

LCBO Code: 623702

$9.15

My wife only drinks white so we tend to stock up when we find a good bottle. New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is her fav and we are currently working through a case of Dog Point 2006 from the Marlborough region. It's super tasty- rated 91 points by...someone who knows whats up. They had a great review last year as well and the vintage did not last very long in the LCBO. It's priced around $22.

I recently tried an awesome Aussie Shiraz called Mollydooker, which had a cartoon drawing of a boxer on the label. It was a bit of a fruit bomb, but damn tasty! It was somewhere around $20.

I'm usually a California man and my favourites generally are from Napa. I'm excited to be heading to Florida on the weekend where I can sample some tasty labels that are way cheaper then up north! Costco, of all places, is where I shop for great bottles at amazing prices. I'll likely be schwilling on tasty wine, rather then bud light for the Superbowl!

Goats Do Roam make excellent value wine. They are readily available and very consistant year to year. They are a fun South African Wine company who copy French Rhone style wines (even their names are a tongue-in-cheek nod to their French counterparts). The '05 Goat Roti is great value for your money and one of my favourite mass-produced wines out there.

the tetra packs make it easy to drink at work though

BAM!!! million dollar idea!

plastic bottles in the shape of soda bottles with labels closely resembling one of the bigger brands and there you go, drink it while walknig down the street, in the car, at the office, operating heavy machinery etc; etc;

the only limit is your imagination, phriend

the tetra packs make it easy to drink at work though

haha...one of my Korean students brought me in some Korean whiskey that is in small, lunch size tetra-packs. All of the writing was in Korean, so it's a good thing he told me it was WHISKEY or else I likely would have drank it right then and there in the welding shop (thinking it was juice of course) :content:

I actually like the screw caps, especially on whites, which you drink farily young. I'm not sure if they would be as good on a bottle that you are hoping to age for 10+ years. They say that screw top technology has improved to the point where they out perform corks but we'll have to wait for time to truly answer that question. I don't know if I'ld invest in an expensive wine that I intend to cellar if it was a screw top. In the short term it means fewer "corked" bottles. Damn- It's almost time to call it a day. Lost starts tonight. That calls for drink!

If you want a cheaper winery tour alternative to Niagra, try going to Picton in Prince Edward County. There's tons of burgeoning and established wineries in that lovely part of Eastern Ontario and the wine is generally excellent.

What winery (or wine) names should I be looking for?

Aloha,

Brad

If you want a cheaper winery tour alternative to Niagra' date=' try going to Picton in Prince Edward County. There's tons of burgeoning and established wineries in that lovely part of Eastern Ontario and the wine is generally excellent.[/quote']

What winery (or wine) names should I be looking for?

Aloha,

Brad

Well Brad, Huff Estates is gaining lots of ground as a producer of good chardonnay, pinot gris and tasty reds. My personal favourite is Waupoose, which is one of Picton's most successful wineries, but they don't sell their product in Wine Racks or LCBO's. Some other wineries to consider are The County Cider Company, Carmela Estate Wines, By Chadsey's Cairns, Black Prince Winery, The Grange and Closson Chase. I believe there's a few more in the area that sell their product on-site only. I had some wine from a new Picton winery as a Christmas present, but I forgot the name. It was a merlot, but I don't really care for reds, so I can't recommend it. My brother-in-law is the head of tourism for Prince Edward County, so I could get you more info if you so require. Here's one website: http://www.winedining.net/prince.html

I picked up that dvd a while back after hearing good things about it...

maybe I'll through it in the player and uncork a bottle of Canadian red :)

hmmmm...

Peninsula Ridge Estate Winery

2006 Merlot...nevermind ;)

it's not a movie to be watching and drinking merlot..haha

or

Pelee Island Winery

2006 Cabernet Franc

white_square_with_question_mark.png

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am not that informed on Canadian Wines but I'm always up for trying new things.

I like to listen to CBC's wine guy to hear what he has to say. He is always pumping the Ontario grapes.

http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/konradejbich.html

The globe and mail's wine guy,BEPPI CROSARIOL. is really good as well.

I do know that Canada excels at ice wine. We make some pretty good reislings.

We struggle with reds, but our Gamay Noirs are pretty good.

Stratus makes a red blend that is pricey, but killer every year. You would probably have to order from the vinyard or special order from your local LCBO.

The Hess Estates vineyard that was mentioned a few posts up has been getting rave reviews for it's riesling.