Jambands.ca

NHL Trade Deadline

badams

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he said there was no absolutely interest in McCabe, that Kubina said he would waive the NTC, then took it back, and referred to Gill, Belak and Kilger as "non core players". all of this may be true, but as the GM you don't say it to the press...oh and he publicly said that his hands were tied today because of JFJ. again, true, but ya keep your mouth shut.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad trade Gainey. I no longer trust you unless something that makes sense comes in late.

Nothing that made sense came in late so the trust factor is gone. At least he has built a solid farm foundation but this deal is ridiculous and I am getting more pissed by the minute. All I can do is hope I am proven wrong and Price is the one to guide the ship.

I cant remember who said it but one of the analysts remarked "This shows everyone that Gainey didnt feel like Huet was the man for the job."

Well no shit and I aint employed by the Habs but someone explain to me wtf I am missing here? At the VERY least Huet would have provided a credible backup and insurance against injuries or a faltering Price.

FUUUUUUUUUCK!

In Bob You Got Some 'Splainin To Do

Gainey basically said they waited to see something form Huet and it didn't come this year. Price is young but he has shown he can handle himself under pressure. He is no worse than Huet at this time. Halak has shown he can win in the NHL as well and is a good back up.

The point here is that Price has been given a vote of confidence. I have no doubt Gainey wouldn't have done this deal if he felt it would have a negative impact on the locker room and the team.

Huet is good NOT great, he will be missed but this isn't as bad as some people are fretting about. Montreal wasn't going to sign him after this year. Not with Price as the goalie of the future (actually the guy NOW).

Huet was not going to win us the Stanley Cup and it's likely Price won't this year either but his talent is evident and the future extremely bright.

Do I think Gainey could have gottne more for Huet...yes. Do I think losing him makes the Habs a worse team... no.

I believe in Price and actually believe this will boost his confidence. It is now his team.

As for Hossa... it's disappointing we didnt get him but the Thrashers wanted 3 current Habs and either a draft pick or a minor league player. That's just too much. Good move by Gainey in not ding that deal.

We still have a young, strong team. 4 points out of first place and a solid playoff contender.

Sort of a weird day for the Hab nation but we made it through. The East hasn't really gotten that much better other than Pittsburgh and possibly Washington.

It's risk / reward for the Habs... I am cheering for reward :)

Halak has shown he can win in the NHL as well and is a good back up.

Bullshit. He couldnt steal Hab-ischers spot and he wasnt given the final start against the Leafs last year when Huet came back from injury. And that shit about Huet not showing whatever the Habs were looking for is bullshit to. Has Gainey already forgotten about the month of January or how much the team relied on Huet when Price was sent down?

Where was Halak then? He didnt get a fucking start!

As for other non-moves, I couldnt care less. There is no way I would have wanted to see the Habs spend for Hossa the way the Pens apparently did.

I hope it all works out in the end but I dont feel as confident with Price/Halak as I did with Huet/Price.

In 2006 / 2007 Aebischers stats were...

GA 3.17 Wins 13 Loses 12 SV %0.900

Halaks were...

GA 2.89 Wins 10 Loses 6 SV %0.906

Oh and Huets

GA 2.81 Wins 19 Loses 16 SV %0.916

Aebischer was playing because he was being paid a hell of a lot more and he was previously a #1 goalie in Colorado.

My point here is the love for Huet is unfounded. He was good but not much (if at all better) than Price or Halak.

Damn Booche he has a 72 - 59 career record and no success in the playoffs. For heavens sake he is 2-4 in the playoffs.

I really believe Price or Halak can do that.

Sure Gainey should have gotten a little more but my God this isn't the end of the Earth.

I heard this, anyone know if it is true?

Montreal traded G Cristobal Huet to Washington for Anaheim's 2nd-round pick in the 2009 Entry Draft (the draft pick was already acquired)

If that's true, that trade just got worse for Montreal*. Anaheim is gonna go further than Washington.

* - Unless I totally misunderstand the whole draft pick situation

he said there was no absolutely interest in McCabe, that Kubina said he would waive the NTC, then took it back, and referred to Gill, Belak and Kilger as "non core players". all of this may be true, but as the GM you don't say it to the press...oh and he publicly said that his hands were tied today because of JFJ. again, true, but ya keep your mouth shut.

I don't know. I look at it another way. First, I'm sure that Cliff and all the other GMs today are exhausted and stressed out. Secondly, call-out McCabe and Kubina. Who gives a fuck. That was a move to encourage them to drop their NTC so that they can get rid of them in the summer. McCabe will be gone for sure (his wife is living in Long Island and they are about to have a new baby in a couple of months). Good riddance.

Gill, Kilger and Belak weren't core players. He's calling a spade a spade. It reinforces that he was unloading players that were in no way integral to the future of the club and in return unloaded salaries and gained picks.

To say his hands were tied by JFJ's dealings is true as well. What's wrong with saying that. I find that when sports people (players and management) are interviewed, too often they really don't have ANYTHING to say except the same old tired sound bytes we've all heard a million times. Leading up to the trade deadline all the talk is smokescreen and bs. I love to hear somebody "tell it like it is" a little for once. In some way it instills a level of confidence that they really ARE doing something at the management level and hell-bent on making hard decisions that will better a floundering club.

Cliff is playing hardball. I hope he hires a new GM with as much piss 'n' vinegar. Maybe it'll trickle down and help the rest of the team grow some balls back :)

It'll be fun to see who Belak wants to bang around on the Leafs when they meet up tomorrow night. You may just see him get a little frustration out on a few of the slackers from his old dressing room.