Jambands.ca

Aerosmith or AC/DC?

fluffhead77

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angus Young is one of the true heroes of rock guitar soloing and he is unfalteringly humble about it, always deflecting praise to his brother, who he claims is the best musician in the band.

2 points AC/DC.

And from 15 years of teaching rock guitar I'll tell ya this: kids are always asking for AC/DC tunes; they always have. And they ask for different tunes, I've probably taught twenty of their songs over the years. The rare time I get asked for an Aerosmith tune it's exclusively Walk This Way or Dream On. I'm surprised nobody's ever even asked for Sweet Emotion. Good song, that.

So AC/DC has remained consistently relevant for guitar students whereas Aerosmith has remained consistently barely on the radar.

Several points AC/DC, methinks.

If you want the best material Aerosmith ever put out, look no further than the Greatest Hits album - you know, the one with the band logo on the red background. Awesome.

However, if you want an AC/DC best-of compilation, you're going to need more than one disc - and that's just for the Bon Scott years!!!!!

Point: AC/DC

If you want the best material Aerosmith ever put out, look no further than the Greatest Hits album - you know, the one with the band logo on the red background. Awesome.

I somewhat disagree with going the Greatest Hits route with Aerosmith. I believe their first four albums are must owns (for fans and the curious). Rocks and Toys in particular are as good as 70's rock albums get or got, plus the songs aren't chopped, like say "Sweet Emotions" is on the red hits album.

DropKick Murphy's do a kickass cover of a kickass ACDC rock and roll road song- It's a long way to the top (If you wanna rock and Roll)

Same song has one of the best uses of bagpipes in rock hands down.

AND

That song is no longer performed out of respect for Bon Scott.

ACDC ACDC ACDC ACDC

That being said, every cockhead I've ever known loves ACDC.

Sweet Emotion is a great song.

And in Aerosmith news... 028ws9.gif

World Renowned Recording Group Aerosmith Rocks This Way to Guitar Hero®: Aerosmith®

Epic Collaboration Creates First Music-Based Game to Feature One Band

Free Download of ''Dream On'' Offered to Commemorate Alliance

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Fire up the fret board, crank the amp to 11 and get ready to rock this way with Activision, Inc.'s (Nasdaq:ATVI) Guitar Hero®: Aerosmith®, the first game built around the legendary music of America's Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band: Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton and Joey Kramer. Slated for release this June, this latest installment from the franchise with the #1 best-selling video game in 2007, puts players in the shoes of Perry (guitar), Whitford (guitar) and Hamilton (bass), as they rock out alongside frontman Tyler and drummer Kramer. Gamers will experience Aerosmith's GRAMMY® winning career, from their first gig to becoming rock royalty, in a way that no other entertainment vehicle offers.

To celebrate this historic, ground-breaking collaboration, Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock fans will have the opportunity to download and jam to Aerosmith's "Dream On." The song will be available for free from February 16-18 on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®Store for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. For more information, please visit www.guitarhero.com.

"Having a game built around Aerosmith has been a huge honor and really a great experience for us," says Joe Perry. "We've put a lot of ideas into the game so that fans can have fun interacting with our music, getting inside our body of work and learning about the band's history."

Steven Tyler says, "Any band that can go from 'Don't Want to Miss A Thing' (Aerosmith's #1 smash hit) to the ass-kicking 'Sweet Emotion' to the cheekiness of 'Love in an Elevator,' to the classic ballad 'Dream On' shows why Activision chose us to headline this game based on the diversity of the Aerosmith catalog. Not only is songwriting a bitch, but then it goes and has puppies."

Perry adds, "On a larger scale, it's cool for us to be pioneers helping to rebuild the music industry through a format like video games. It's great for rock since the record companies are struggling to make sense of how things are changing. Fans want to get and experience music in new formats--and there are going to be some of them who will play the game, then pick up the guitar for real and start bands. It's what's happening now, and it's only going to build more momentum in the future. It's a massive change for the music business."

"We are extremely excited that Aerosmith chose to team up with Guitar Hero, bringing one of the world's all-time best-selling artists together with one of the biggest video game brands, to deliver a new and unique interactive way for our customers to connect with artists and their music," said Dusty Welch, head of publishing for Activision/RedOctane. "This partnership will give Aerosmith, a band that has sold more than 150 million albums worldwide, a powerful and innovative platform to reach their fans and new audiences."

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith brings these quintessential rock legends to the interactive realm to create the ultimate gaming experience. As fans progress through their careers in the game, they can rock out to scores of Aerosmith's greatest hits, as well as songs from celebrated artists that the band has either performed with or has been inspired by in some way. Venues from historical moments during the band's illustrious career offer the experience of "sweet emotion" and further capture the essence of the band's rise to fame.

"Guitar Hero:Aerosmith" is being developed by Neversoft Entertainment for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The Wii™ version is being developed by Vicarious Visions. The PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system version is being developed by Budcat. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB

http://kotaku.com/356916/dream-on-with-guitar-hero-aerosmith

"Any band that can go from 'Don't Want to Miss A Thing' (Aerosmith's #1 smash hit) to the ass-kicking 'Sweet Emotion' to the cheekiness of 'Love in an Elevator,' to the classic ballad 'Dream On' shows why Activision chose us to headline this game based on the diversity of the Aerosmith catalog. Not only is songwriting a bitch, but then it goes and has puppies."

So I guess we have a winner!

Do we?

I beleive Activision also released an 80's hair metal spin-off of guitar hero too... conclusion - activision will do aything to make a buck now that Rock Band is on the scene.

Thanks for the spirited arguments boys and girLs - I had to defend Oz's finest against 2 for about 2 and half hours the other night... obviously I won, but it was very funny funny to read all your responses back to them! :)

"Any band that can go from 'Don't Want to Miss A Thing' (Aerosmith's #1 smash hit) to the ass-kicking 'Sweet Emotion' to the cheekiness of 'Love in an Elevator' date='' to the classic ballad 'Dream On' shows why Activision chose us to headline this game based on the diversity of the Aerosmith catalog. Not only is songwriting a bitch, but then it goes and has puppies."[/quote']

So I guess we have a winner!

"Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was the reason I stopped listening to Aerosmith. As I grow older I try and live and let live and not put down artists for what they decide to do. That said when a hard rock band like Aerosmith turn to Diane Warren for the aforementioned song, that was the final nail in the coffin for me and Aerosmith.

I agree with Jaimoe that the first four Aerosmith albums are essential albums to own and I was a fan enough to go to see them live three times from 1993-1998, but after I heard them perform "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" at Copps Coliseum in 1998 that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Now sometimes I regret not seeing Aerosmith on their tour for 'Honk on Bobo' in which they do blues classics like "Eyesight to the Blind," "You Gotta Move" and "I'm Ready," but in the end I'll have regrets that far supercede that one.

As for AC/DC I too have been a fan and I have seen them a couple of times live. But whether or not their last few albums interested me or many others is up for serious debate. And I have passed AC/DC by twice as many times as the times that I have actually seen them live.

I look at AC/DC and Aerosmith and I think of my youth, much the way I think of other bands like Kiss and Van Halen.

I saw Kiss in 1998 with the original line-up and the makeup and that was enough for me. I saw Van Halen with Sammy Hagar and went back to see them with Gary Cherone and then again with Sammy Hagar and was drawn back to seeing Eddie and the boys when they brought back David Lee Roth. Lineup changes are what brought be back to Van Halen, though all of the aforementioned bands remind me of my youth and do not grab me the way they once did.

Now another band from my youth like Led Zeppelin still move me today as they once did because they are the class of hard rock that all others are judged by and for good reason, because they are the best.

So would I pay to see either AC/DC or Aerosmith again, not likely. Would I buy their latest albums if they came out, not likely. Though I will never say never as there was a time when both of these bands, were often on my rotation of bands to play.

Peace,

Tim