Jambands.ca

First pedal to come off the production lines

Tooly

finally.

wo769652.jpg

link to front photo

link to photo of back

lY369788.jpg

I just finished clearcoating it and re-installing the guts. Its for a buddy of mine, a present for his younger brother, hence the name he wanted for it, Junior. I got my wifey to do the Jr. in the bottom corner, i didnt trust my own hand after all this coffee this morning. selling it this aft for 100.

simple DIY envelope filter kit, built from scratch, except for the board itself, with a few mods, and a pretty killer paintjob, if i do say so myself. i just learned how to do these cool-ass swirly paintjobs, they are as much fun to do as this pedal is to play. i really dig the back plate, how the yellow kinda looks like a meteor, maybe its harder to see thru the computer, but this shit looks sweet eh?

yeah brad; they are the site that got me hooked on this stuff. they have recently come out wiht some pretty sweet kits, a reallllly nice analog sounding digital delay. the repeats slowly distort just like an old bucket brigade analog delay

i really like their motto Take Tone into your own hands

it makes sense, rather than buying 200+ $ boutique pedals, why not build them yourself? and customize it to your own needs? the guys who came up with the BYOC idea are brilliant.

im going to work on a tubescreamer soon, with all sorts of mods, might have to put a rotary switch in it to accomodate them all, im thinking a stock TS808 ala SRV, a modded TS9 ala trey, a turbo mode ala the newer TS9DX, a sweet warm bassboost because those stock tubescreamers are lacking in the low end dept, some symmetrical distortion options as well as some nice thick asymmetrical clipping with MOSFets. im pumped :D

Edited by Guest

Looks very cool and definitely personalized. I've gone with the all-in-one multi effect type stuff in the past which has invariably broken down after time which of course leaves you with no effects at all! I'm leaning towards individual boxes now and this shit has me keenly interested as well. Thanks for the inspiration Tooly and the link to BYOC Brad.

nice...I'd love to make my own envelope filter....was it hard to figure out the circuitry? Is it an easy DIY project for someone who knows nothing about electronics?

theres a few different filter projects out there, all are pretty easy. i'd suggest for your first few times build kits, either from BYOC, they have the best boards around, or www.generalguitargadgets.com they also sell complete kits. its easier when you start to get the whole kit, instead of trying to source the parts, its tough if you dont understand, i still dont get it all and have a box of wrong parts growing ;)

there is a huge sense of satisfaction when that pedal works for you, its like building anything else, be it a deck, or a bookcase, whatever, if you are into DIY, you get it. id love to build me a guitar down the line, all in good time eh? the painting was fun as hell, trippy, maybe it was the paint fumes, but it was really sweet swirling that shit.

thanks for the kind words folks :D

now the next step is actualy designing you own pedal and building it.

well, you figure, if you mod the circut, like this one was, a few different components, its a different circut, making it your own. but i know what you mean, designing your own circuit, thats a different story altogether, kinda hard to figure out stuff that isnt just a repeat w/different options or features.

newbold- yeah i make em now, part time, it isnt paying for shit yet. but its what i love to do, i love to use em too, and got frustrated about always being broke from buying customized, modded stuff.

trees: the circut board is a copy of the DOD 440 envy. i have heard this is the one radiohead used on paranoid antriod, having never heard the tune, i dunno. comparable to any decent envy. im just looking at this MXR envelope you are talking about, looks pretty similar as far as parts go, seems an even move "open" circuit to accept cool mods (up-down sweep, threshold, filter, resonance knob mods)

what else am i building? right now i have a 5knob compressor *almost* done, minus paint. and im making a big order today or tomm. for a coupla tubescreamers and phaser/univibe boards.

• 1 month later...

I remembered having seen this topic awhile back, and I am looking into a fuzz/Octave pedal. I guess these things are famously unreliable at "trackng" the notess you play. The Chicago Iron company is looking good, but a bit pricey. Has anybody tried one of these Build your own clone versions? or heard about them? I figure if it is so hard for a "pro" to make a decent fuzz/Octave pedal maybe I shouldn't try it myself.

I remembered having seen this topic awhile back, and I am looking into a fuzz/Octave pedal. I guess these things are famously unreliable at "trackng" the notess you play. The Chicago Iron company is looking good, but a bit pricey. Has anybody tried one of these Build your own clone versions? or heard about them? I figure if it is so hard for a "pro" to make a decent fuzz/Octave pedal maybe I shouldn't try it myself.

ive heard nothing but good things about the BYOC fuzz-octave. their pedal comes with an octave lift switch that just cuts the oct-up so you just have a great fuzz with a real nasty snarl. ive heard that the octave effect isnt as pronounced as an RM Octavia, but having never built one, i cant really say.

you want oct. up or down? if down, the mxr bluebox is what you want. you can buy a board from tonepad.com

this looks fairly easy though, 30 parts minus the jacks+power supply

you ever do any PCB soldering?