Jambands.ca

Damn You TicketMaster!

DevO

I just went online to buy tickets for Corb Lund at The Phoenix (March 6).. Tix are listed as $18.50. The convenience charge on these tickets are $6.30! That's more than 1/3 of the original ticket price! Isn't that more than usual? Then tack on another $3.50 for Order Processing charge and the total comes out to $28.30. Total B-S!

I understand that TicketMaster has exclusive agreements with many venues, which makes it hard for promoters to work with anyone else. TicketMaster is a business that wants to make money. The biggest problem is the monopoly they seem to have. I say "seem to have" because, in an effort to avoid being sued, there is pretty much always an alternative method to buy tickets that doesn't involve TicketMaster, like Rotate This in the Corb Lund case above. At Rotate This tickets are $18.50 plus a $1.50 service charge.

I hate TicketMaster like the rest of you, but only offer another viewpoint. If YOU were TicketMaster, would you charge less for an event based on a lower ticket price? Why sell tickets at all then, if you can't make a tidy profit?

I've got a buddy who has worked for TBastard for years. They are assh*oles. Yes, assh*oles making lots of cash.

They have some new features coming down the pipe that will infuriate us all even more. They are moving further and further away from customer "service" or "satisfaction".

If I can, I avoid 'em. Sometimes I just have to buy through them :(

there is pretty much always an alternative method to buy tickets that doesn't involve TicketMaster, like Rotate This in the Corb Lund case above. At Rotate This tickets are $18.50 plus a $1.50 service charge.

True but: 1) Rotate This is possibly on fire, or most likely cordoned off; 2) I am in Calgary at the moment. To digress, I'm also purchasing tix for a few friends who are in TO right now, but it was sort of my initiative to get them to go, and I said I'd take care of getting the tix, so I'd feel bad telling them to go get em themselves at this point.

If YOU were TicketMaster, would you charge less for an event based on a lower ticket price?

Yes. It should be pro-rated. EG. "convenience fee" should not exceed 20% of the ticket price. Or they should eliminate convenience fee completely on account of it is bullshit. ;)

Edited by Guest

"convenience fee" should not exceed 20% of the ticket price. Or they should eliminate convenience fee on account of it is bullshit. ;)

So, for a $400 show an $80 convenience fee is appropriate? Seems to me that it is pretty convenient for you to purchase tickets to a show in Toronto on the Internet from Calgary. ;)

I really do enjoy playing devil's advocate. Either that, or I am actually the devil.

"convenience fee" should not exceed 20% of the ticket price. Or they should eliminate convenience fee on account of it is bullshit. ;)

So' date=' for a $400 show an $80 convenience fee is appropriate? Seems to me that it is pretty convenient for you to purchase tickets to a show in Toronto on the Internet from Calgary. ;)

I really do enjoy playing devil's advocate. Either that, or I am actually the devil.

[/quote']

Ok then: Convenience fees should not exceed 20% of the ticket price for tickets costing up to $20. After that, convenience fees should be capped at $5. Ha!

How are these fees unexpected?

the only person who mentioned unexpected in their post was captainsunshine' date=' and i would venture to say that because she wasn't [i']expecting to have to pay $6.50 for being in a different state, the fee was unexpected

:thumbup: lol

basher, being DEVIL's advocate is one thing, i mean the devil's cool as hell. being TB's advocate is way more evil. :)

I don't understand how a convenience fee is charged to US on every ticket in an order. Aren't we being convenient by buying 8 tickets at once? That's one easy order yet they attach the convenience fee to each ticket like it's a big hassle to print up each fucking ticket.