Jambands.ca

QOTD: First Concerts

djmelbatoast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Beatlemania at Hamilton Place in 81 count or Blue Peter in the gym at Highland Secondary in 82 or 83. If not it would have been Aztec Camera at the Concert Hall in 85.

I think yes to all three, but Beatlemania may fall under "theatrical".

I saw The Hip back in 86 (or was it 87) at my highschool before their first EP dropped (1987). They did originals and a number of Doors tunes. Good show.

They did originals and a number of Doors tunes. Good show.

Gord Downie channelling Jim Morrison right before Small Town Bringdown that would have been good

I'm not sure if Booche, Bouche or Davey Boy made it out for the show. I for one only knew of The Hip by word-of-mouth reputation as this "cool Kingston band" that were going to "make it big", but few if any at my highschool knew their music since they weren't on the radio and all of us were too young to catch them in local bars, except for some of the 19 year-olds.

Can't remember which one came first: Joe Cocker / Jennifer Warnes, Ontario Place Forum , or Simon & Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, Blue Rodeo @ SkyDome

First one I went to on my own (without parents) was 54 40 at the Western Fair in London, ON, 1992

First or second show? I went to the first show. Townshend wore a cast on his strumming hand because he impaled it at the Buffalo show a night or two before. Great show.

I went to The Stones "Steel Wheels" tour at the CNE that same summer. Another great show. Bill Wyamn still looked like a man back then.

It was the second night...although if I remember correctly I got tickets (ahhh the days of line ups and wrist bands...)right before it sold out and then they announced a second show, but for the night before the first one (does that make any sense at all?) Anyway...yeah the Steel Wheels tour was pretty killer...I remember the opening pyro was amazing...and the crowd singing along to Ruby Tuesday was a lot of fun (especially back then when I didn't know a lot of their songs)

Myrna does win.

I skipped my grade 8 grad to see The Hip in Brockville. My mom said I would always regret that decision, but she was wrong.

Man I skipped my high school graduation to see Skynyrd (with Deep Purple and Ted Nugent). I took a lot of shit for it but I don't regret it in the slightest. Fuckin Skynyrd man! Even if they were a half-original abomination.

My first concert was Jose Feliciano and Don MacLean at Roy Thompson Hall with my dad. Feliciano was awesome and had a killer band.

After that I saw a double bill of Moist and I Mother Earth at the Warehouse as part of a four-night run. Alex Lifeson came out to play with IME who tore the house down. I was in grade 8.

After that I saw a double bill of Moist and I Mother Earth at the Warehouse as part of a four-night run. Alex Lifeson came out to play with IME who tore the house down. I was in grade 8.

haha i was at the first of those shows. awesome time. IME was wicked back in the day. spent most of that show crowd-surfing. fun times.

saw IME unplugged the next day at tower records. very strange to hear Levitate on acoustic guitars.

Motley Crue at the Montreal Forum, Dr. Feelgood tour, Tesla opened. We were 5th row on the floor and my ears rang for days.

Corey Hart, Memorial Gardens, Sault Ste. Marie.

That's killer Blane. The Scorpions played Soo Mem Gardens around 1983/84 and I begged my parents but they wouldn't take me.

I saw The Hip back in 86 (or was it 87) at my highschool before their first EP dropped (1987). They did originals and a number of Doors tunes.

I saw similar Hip highschool dance show in 87 or 88 - mind you it was from outside, I wasn't in highschool yet. They played Monkees covers and we thought they were a joke.

Myrna does win.

I skipped my grade 8 grad to see The Hip in Brockville. My mom said I would always regret that decision' date=' but she was wrong.[/quote']

Man I skipped my high school graduation to see Skynyrd (with Deep Purple and Ted Nugent). I took a lot of shit for it but I don't regret it in the slightest. Fuckin Skynyrd man! Even if they were a half-original abomination.

What year was that? Original guitarist Ed King left the band due to illness in 1996. Guitarist Allen Collins - their most important member outside of Ronnie Van Zandt - died in 1990. Bassist Leon Wilkeson died in 2001. I'm not exactly sure when Artimus Pyle left the band. I believe at best you saw three original memebers. Only two core members exist now in Skynyrd: Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. Lynyrd Skynyrd remain one of the best "non-official" tribute bands, although it feels wrong calling them Lynyrd Skynyrd.