Jambands.ca

QOTD

bokonon

I'm riding the coattails of yesterday's qotd! I want to know what your favourite concert or show was.

For me, a show isn't just about the band, it's about the place, the people you're with and more esoteric (I'm not sure if that's the right word but it's six am and I still haven't slept so I'm using that as an excuse for a deficient vocabulary) things like the vibe and the point in time.

My favourite show was when Truths and Rights played at Izzy's. That was one of those perfect moments in my life that I will remember until the day I die.

There's a fine line between "favourite" and "best" since it's easy to blur the two together. I have a lot to choose from (as we all do). Here goes.... and sorry for the expansion of the topic, but I've got nothing to do at work today:

Best = Pete Townshend @ Massey Hall - July 10, 1993. Even though Pete was supporting his pompous failure concept album Psychoderelict, this 3 hour show was magical. Simon Phillips tore his kit apart.

Close second = Television @ The Phoenix Concert Hall - June 9, 2006 (guitarist Richard Lloyd has since left the band, so this is one of the last times the intact band played together). Nothing tops hearing "Marquee Moon" in concert, but their re-worked jammy "1800 or So" came very, very close.

Favourite = The Soundtrack of Our Lives @ The Opera House - March 28, 2003 (Fuck you that think all Toronto crowds suck):

Craziest = DKT/MC5 (reformed MC5) with that imploding lunatic Evan "Lemonheads" Dando on lead vocals @ The Phoenix for NXNE - June 9, 2004. Dando stalked around stage looking like a possessed scarecrow, distracting the band repeatedly, challenging the audience repeatedly, and then sat behind the drum-kit repeatedly. Good thing Mudhoney's Mark Arm was also recruited as their a co-lead vocalist.

Still Shocked I Was There = Wilco @ HMV in-store concert in 1996 with around 20 people in attendance, but most were just browsing - I remember standing next to Jay Bennett and thinking that these country-rockers may make it big.

Using Jaimoe's format somehwat

Craziest - The Jesus & Mary Chain - Concert Hall Circa 1989 I Believe

Favourite - Widespread Panic NYE 1999 - Philips Arena - The Millennium Show w. Dottie Peoples & the Peoples Choice Choir

Best - Neil Young - Massey Hall Back in November the First Night, amazing night of Music

Loudest - Tie between the Ramones - The Key in Bala and Shreikback - Concert Hall 1988

I really don't think I can answer this question properly... So many shows have had such a major impact on my life and left very lasting impressions on me one way or another...

I can say this... Neil last year was awe inspiring...

My first Dead show Hamilton 90 openned my eyes to a whole new world...

Phish at the Gorge 7.17.98 was something special...

First time seeing Pink Floyd 87, The Rolling Stones 89, The Who 89 Exhibition Stadium i think or was it 87... were incredible...

I could go on for hours.

The Band at the Masonic Temple. A bunch of us got comped as a friend of ours was in the opening band (The Mahones). I went from not knowing about the show to getting a call telling me ther was a ticket waiting to being there within the space of an hour.

The Grateful Dead, Copps Colluseum 3-22-90. I was living in westale at the time and had a blast.

The Grateful Dead Pine Knob 6-20-90. Really good folks, awesome show.

Probably the first time I saw Phish in 1999? in Toronto at the Ampatheatre. It opened my senses up. That may have had something to do with the mushrooms but I still had a blast.

When the Fat Cats played at the Casbah every Tuesday it came close a number of times. Worth the drive from TO.

Also, Green Day at edgefest in 1997? kicked my teenage ass.

Edited by Guest

Toronto crowds do suck! For concerts or tiny acts the people tend to be overly reserved to the point of being cold. I remember seeing ABB and getting funny looks from people for dancing up on the grass at Molson Amphitheatre, WTF!!!

The whole 'we're too cool to clap' mentality blows donkey sacks.

The best Toronto crowds were ones filled with us hicks from outside the city that emigrated for a night of mayhem.

Sorry darlins, but rednecks are waaaaaaay more fun!

I've been to many concerts where the T.O. crowds have been downright embarrassing, however it was not the case with The White Stripes in Toronto, where they have been particularly awesome: standing-up en masse and grooving for the whole show. Same with the Ben Harper crowds and the ones that go to see, for some reason, Dave Matthews. I know that real punk crowds are traditionally boisterous.

The TSOOL show that I mentioned rocked and the crowd really whooped it up even though it was fucking packed. Infra Riot was only the second song in and the crowd was just getting oiled-up.

I've been to many concerts where the T.O. crowds have been downright embarrassing, however it was not the case with The White Stripes in Toronto, where they have been particularly awesome: standing-up en masse and grooving for the whole show. Same with the Ben Harper crowds and the ones that go to see, for some reason, Dave Matthews. I know that real punk crowds are traditionally boisterous.

I agree, not ALL suck. Most of them do though.

Favorite: Drive-By Truckers 11/01/03 - The Horseshoe

The band had gained a lot more momentum then their first visit in June and the looks on peoples faces were worth the price of admission alone!

Craziest: Phish 11/25/98 - Knickerbocker Arena

WOW! First show and I'd never seen anything like that!

Most fun: Lucinda Williams - 07/18/07 - Art park Lewiston, NY

Whoever thinks you can't have a killer time at a Lucinda show is nuts! She played on the edge of a fucking gorge and played every song I wanted to hear! I turfed up a few lawn chairs at that show I tells ya!

Tought call, but here's three that sit right at the top list...

[*]Bob Dylan @ The Rage, Vancouver, BC 1998-05-13

- 1000 person venue the night before he played with Van & Joni at GM Place

- Bob opened the show with Not Fade Away.

[*]Grateful Dead - Kingswood Music Theatre 1984-06-21 (setlist)

- My very first Grateful Dead show.

- The Band opened & then encored with GD.

[*]Drive-By Truckers - The Underground, Hamilton, On 2006-10-17

- First visit to steeltown

- A rare small venue (250-350 ppl) gig for DBT

man, this is a tough question...

when I was working for DSO I got comps to many great shows

Down From The Mountain tour (Ralph Stanly, Gillian Welch, Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, and more)

- hearing Ralph Stanley finish off the show had tears rolling down my cheeks

Dark Star Orchestra Fillmore West, San Francisco & Oregon Country Fair

- both of these shows were surreal moments for me

- hung out and smoked with Mountain Girl, Betty Cantor-Jackson, Jerilyn Lee-Brandelius, Boots and Kidd at the Fillmore

- hung out with Bill Kreutzmann and his wife at the Oregon Country Fair looking at photos they'd taken. Smoked with Ramrod & Steve Parish.

DSO @ Irving Plaza, NYC - burned plenty of reefer with Woody Harrelson & Ed Norton that night...and the band was on fire!

Talking Heads: Kingswood - Toronto, ON, 1983.

The Mars Volta: Orpheum Theater - New Orleans, LA, 2005.

Grateful Dead: Soldier Field - Chicago, Il, 1995

Phish: Clifford Ball - Plattsburg, NY, 1996

Annie Lennox: Massey Hall - Toronto, ON, 2007

... the ones that jump to mind. im sure ive seen better show, but i've simply lost track of a lot of them ...