Jambands.ca

Top 50 Shows of All Time

badams

[color:red]One magazines opinion...

The 50 greatest shows of all-time

OK, so you know how lists are arbitrary, subjective and the target of much hate mail? Well, that’s not stopping Empire Magazine from compiling their list of the 50 best TV shows of all time.

Though the mag is British, and thus includes U.K. gems such as Father Ted, Cracker, Red Dwarf and Only Fools and Horses, its list is arguably woefully incomplete.

The Top 5 shows are The Simpsons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Sopranos, The West Wing and Lost in that order.

Curiously missing from the list are international hits The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twilight Zone, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Andy Griffith Show, M*A*S*H and The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Rounding out the Top 20 are the following series. See if you agree.

6. 24

7. Friends

8. The Wire

9. The X-Files

10. Spaced

11. Seinfeld

12. Family Guy

13. Battlestar Galactica

14. Firefly

15. Heroes

16. Doctor Who

17. South Park

18. Arrested Development

19. Scrubs

20. Blackadder

Is WKRP anywhere on the list? How about Farscape and Babylon 5? Scrubs is ranked higher than Blackadder? Fuck that! Scrubs is a decent comedy, but a Top 20 or even a Top 50 show? No way. King of the Hill makes my Top 20, although I doubt suburban Texas plays well in jolly old England.

how is the simpsons at the top of the list? I stopped watching a couple of years ago. I would have quit earlier, but I felt obligated to keep watching. South Park should be near the top of the list if they want a cartoon up there that badly.

sesame street

the muppet show

second on the cheers and MASH calls - how could they not be in the top 10 or top 5?

24 is a brutal show. addictive and fun to watch, but there isn't much going on there at all.

speaking of MASH, I have the entire series on DVD. Sharon and I watched it over 2 years as we picked up every season one after another. It was so awesome to watch it as an adult. I didn't really get it as a kid.

anyway, the entire series is up for grabs if anyone wants to buy it (or trade for the whole buffy series). the finale was probably one of the best finales I have ever seen in a tv series.

I thought this thread was about 'shows' as in concerts in general of any band from any time.

What a hard list that would be to put together. But that list like this list of tv shows is totally subjective and meaningless. Just like the top albums lists or top guitarist lists.

I see The Muppet Show coming in at #1.