Jambands.ca

CanJam history...

ersh

Back in 1998 I started a webpage called CanJam. As far as I know it was the first website to feature canadian jambands... unfortunately I was unable to maintain it due to a busy touring schedule.

I was digging through some old files and found the last update of the site before I removed it.

CanJam

Ahhhh memories....

quote:

Introducing Jomomma

Jomomma is a unique seven-piece band hailing from Brantford, Ontario. Formed in May of 1999, the band is among the new breed of young Canadian jambands busting onto the scene. Having performed in several different cities throughout Southern Ontario, and most recently in Sinclairville, NY at the 5th Annual SCOTTYPALUZA, the band has developed and is developing a loyal following. A self-proclaimed “Trip-funk?band, Jomomma combines the elements of psychedelic improvisational hypnotic music with a back beat to get the crowd moving. Consisting of Paul Agriesti-lead vocals, percussion; Jonas Berkeley-tenor & baritone saxophones, flute; Ed Casasanta-drums, backing vocals; Nick Gefucia-bass; Johnner Goldsmith-percussion; Geoff Hilhorst-keyboards; and John Kent-guitar.... these guys definately are worth checking out whenever possible. With a West coast tour planned for mid July, Jomomma stands to join the ranks of Fat Cats, BNB and New Deal as the Canadian touring bands making ya dance! Check them out at

I went to Scottypalluza and lemme tell ya, it was hillarious...

About 10 people up and dancin...Canadian Sunday started at like noon.

First Jomomma, all hung over from the night before...it was priceless...

Then the fatties (who NONE of us thought would show up...), and just in time for the rain...BNB closed the afternoon...What fun...

Oh and Jomomma did join the ranks of Touring Bands that make ya Dance.

Those were the days eh? I thought about volunteering to take over CanJam for a while too. I wish I still had a copy of the file for my old shows listings page, but alas it is long gone! (Unless you've got a copy Trev!)

Sort-Of Fun fact:

Jeffrey Kornblum took over KevO's Upcoming Shows Page in Summer 1999.

I used to always read Kevos upcoming shows! I relied on it for all my out of town listings as well as Toronto. In fact, I used to work with Trev (Cyberhippie) and he maintained it one summer for you too but I didn't know that... I think I sent an email or something w/ some upcoming show info to the site and came from my work email address and Trev and I figured it out that way....

I also remember that Canjam page, Jeff... similar design to the old Burt page, wasn't it?... the one with Alf on the homepage. [smile]

I remember when Jeffrey took over KevO's page... I can recall sitting with him in his basement and him asking me "Do YOU know how to update this thing?" I didn't. And (he he) if I'm not mistaken we both kind of just whistled through the summer without any updates. I remember reading an email or something when Kevin got back to the tune of "Man.... what happened to my site?" We had good intentions at least [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by SolarGarlic:

back in the day of the CanJam site and the old CDN Phish Traders board.

Those were the good old days. I started the original CDN Phish Traders Page back in 96 or 97 before handing it off to Colin Waldschutz in 99 i think... Good times... That site is still on my parent's computer. I should dig it our for posterity...

ad

quote:

Originally posted by AD:

quote:

Originally posted by SolarGarlic:

back in the day of the CanJam site and the old CDN Phish Traders board.

Those were the good old days. I started the original CDN Phish Traders Page back in 96 or 97 before handing it off to Colin Waldschutz in 99 i think... Good times... That site is still on my parent's computer. I should dig it our for posterity...

ad

I remember some great Phish vines going through that site...some of my favorite shows to date.

Hey Willy,

Still working out little details, but the Events search has now got provincial, city and venue searches.

It's pretty much Kevo's listings with help from solar garlic, weezy, groovefetish, ms hux... but I've been behind in getting all that functionality back from last year. It should be more up to date soon too.

http://www.jambands.ca/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=24

NOTE: of course, I somehow managed to break it last night....frig

The listings here on Jambands.Ca, for my part at least, have become somewhat dilapidated.. I know. But I'm tellin ya, they will be back damnit! Hopefully soon. Its just a matter of getting everything functioning properly and to full potential, then filling in all the spaces with the zillions of upcoming shows.

I remember the initial CanJam page and when Jeff put up the message stating that he was too busy touring with Burt to update it. I remember thinking hmmm ... it would be nice to carry on with that ... but I never acted on it right away.

Then, after the May 2001 Come Together Music Fest, I was so inspired by the weekend that I decided to start jambands.ca. I remember thinking of using the canjam name but had trouble contacting Jeff about it and didn't want to use it without talking with him. I also remember thinking "Mark, what are you doing running a web site ... you don't know anything about web sites and programming and the internet." I think I know even less about it than I did then! Thanks Bouche for doing what you do!!!

I was huge fan of KevO's site, which is why when he told me that he was thinking of packing in his site I asked him to help us out at jambands.ca. I hope that this sight eventually incorporates his (and other people's) uncanny ability to provide show info ... Bouche, I know you've been working on this.

I met some great people and traded some fantastic music via the Canadian Phish Trader's board. I think the very first cd trade happened via that board ... was it with Tovi H.??? ... maybe Phish Japan '99 for Phish Toronto '99???

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeff!

Peace, Mark

quote:

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

You know, I long for KevO's listings every single time I'm looking for something to do. I've still not seen a site come close to covering the live music scene like he did.

[Frown]

Part of the great thing about KevO's was that it was a community effort. The most recent time that I was updating it, I was amazed at how many people were sending me listings.

On my site I try to get pretty good coverage of what's going on in the GTA, but without the submissions from people like Tovi and Jesse, it's hard to get all the extra Jazz stuff that I don't know about.

[smile]

Archived