Jambands.ca

Books

tigger

The Road anti-climactic? Sort of, but I think that was the point. It certainly took on a whole different meaning being a Dad.

Yeah, I get that it was a character piece and about the relationship and the circumstances more than a real plot or story arch.

It was touching, and I appreciated it, but it just didn't seem like enough of a take-away for my investment of time and money.

Oh' date=' and I second "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius". [/quote']

I gave it a shot years ago and didn't make it through the first 100 pages, which were so ho-hum and desolate. Know what I mean? But I've heard his new one "What Is The What" is quite good and I've been meaning to pick it up.

"What Is The What" is excellent. It's basically a novelized biography of one of the Lost Boys of the Sudan. I had a hard time putting it down.

I found myself laughing out loud a lot during "Heartbreaking". I could identify with his writing style, it was as if I was reading something written by a buddy. It was funny, warm and familiar, yet it still conveyed the sadness of the situation.

His description of Mr T moving in to his neighborhood was amazing- worth reading for that little side story alone! Even the epilogue was great. Like most great writers, the events matter less then the way he tells the story.

Has anyone here read The Razor's Edge?

I picked it up at Value Village one day (the same day I picked up "A Hearbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" at the same place, actually).

I was absolutely blown away by that book. Oh my god.

The Razor's Edge. W. Somerset Maugham (spelling?)Read it. Brilliant. Staggering. Genius.

Sorry, Eggers.