Jambands.ca

Books

tigger

I'm a little biased, because this author is a friend, but this novel by Jon Papernick is amazing, and I really didn't know what was truly happening in the story until the last few pages (although I thought I did) :

http://www.amazon.ca/Who-Fire-Blood-Jon-Papernick/dp/1550961020/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219277516&sr=1-2

I've mentioned him here before, mainly back when he had a book of short stories. This novel is far superior, though.

I'm reading "Around the World in 57 1/2 Gigs" by Dave Bidini.. Good easy read, highly recommended.. And just picked up "Joshua Then and Now" by Mordecai Richler. This'll be my first MR book and I have no idea what to expect, as I don't know a thing about him! It came highly recommended by a friend though.

And just picked up "Joshua Then and Now" by Mordecai Richler. This'll be my first MR book and I have no idea what to expect, as I don't know a thing about him! It came highly recommended by a friend though.

Richler also adapted the novel into a film.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

These books are a few years old now but great reads. The first is A Million Little Pieces and the second is the follow up, My Friend Leonard. They are written by James Frey and are semi-fiction. Both are very easy, and can't put down books. Seriously go for these Scotty!(and Becky)

I would recommend anything by Dave Eggers. I've read a few but his first, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, is still my favourite.

If you haven't read Dirt, The Motley Crew bio, then pick it up asap! It was awesome! I wish I knew who I lent that to because it is worthy of a second go 'round.

Edited by Guest

I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy recently, then found out they're making a movie and wondered aloud "how the hell could they make this into a movie?" I saw the stills and it's exactly how I pictured it in my mind.

Did I write that? I agree completely only I wasn't a huge fan of the book. I thought it quite slow and anti-climactic.

Oh, and I second "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius".

I gave it a shot years ago and didn't make it through the first 100 pages, which were so ho-hum and desolate. Know what I mean? But I've heard his new one "What Is The What" is quite good and I've been meaning to pick it up.

Actually now that I think about it, I really enjoyed the first 100 or so pages of Heartbreaking Work but was pretty annoyed with the dude by the end of it.

The Road anti-climactic? Sort of, but I think that was the point. It certainly took on a whole different meaning being a Dad.

Actually now that I think about it, I really enjoyed the first 100 or so pages of Heartbreaking Work but was pretty annoyed with the dude by the end of it.

Me too..though I didn't make it all the way to the end...my annoyance wouldn't allow it.

When I first picked up the book, I erroneously presumed that it was so-titled as an ironic nod/jab in the direction of the myriad of crappy, self-reverential memoirs being put out these days.

Turns out, I think he actually might be a genuine devotee of his own particular brand of "genius".

He does write with a certain flair, he constructs an interesting turn of phrase...as such, I might try something else of his, but I certainly didn't love "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius"....