Jambands.ca

SUPERSIZED QoTD Feb 6

scottieking

Hey Folks,

Okay I'm starting to go into super shut-in mode here but let's make it a three part survey day shall we? Given all the time I've had to chill this week, lots of movies, reading and eating has been going on so...

1)last good book read

2)last good VIDEO saw (neck is not ready for movie theatre yet)

3)last good meal cooked

For me that would be:

1)Live From New York - the History of SNL

2)my fifth viewing of Royal Tenumbuams

3)I re-introduced Thai Chicken back into the diet last night with mixed results - Solids good, heartburn bad

Giiddy-up

1. "Quintet Of The Year", detailing the performance at Massey Hall in May, 1953, by Max Roach, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, Dizzie Gillespie and Charlie Parker.
  2. Hmmm...I don't rent movies, but watched "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" at Low Roller's place one night, and loved it.
  3. Tuesday night: Italian sausage, leftover brown rice & red lentils, and frozen mixed veg, all thrown together in a fry pan; added great mustard to the sausage, and gloried in the crispy fried rice bits. (OK, Martha Stewart I ain't...)

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

1. Lord of the Rings trilogy (so technically last good book read is Return Of The King)

2. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (nice answer Bradm!)

3. Vegetarian stirfry (water chestnuts, baby corn, green beans, curried rice, onions, and mushrooms) with shrimps, scallops, and asparagus on the side covered in sauce. Oh God I'm so hungry now...

Book - Dark Star (is that even the darned title?), The Verbal Biography of Jerry Garcia. I've also been reading a lot of Beatles biographies lately.

Video - I'm hooked on Austin Powers 3 - Gold Member. I've now seen it 6 times. The only Videos I've rented lately have been the TV series 24. Holy Sheet!!!! This was an incredible viewing experience. I absolutely loved it. I just saw "Best in Show" for the first time as well. Funny, funny stuff.

Food - Honestly, every single night and every single breakfast since I've moved in with Bouche has been incredible. We love to experiment with flavors and make interesting recipes. Lots of Thai and Latin stuff, lots of rice and curries, everything is absolutely incredible! Bouche makes an amazing salad dressing that has me addicted. We hot sauce everything up as well for some added pallet pleasure.

Mmmm, I'm getting hungry.

Book - I re-read Sean Gibbon's "Run Like An Antelope" before the Hamton run. It's a quick read and a bit of a reality check about the evolution/degradation of the scene.

Video - The Last Waltz and Live in Vegas have been on a strict 2 dvd rotation recently. I spotted Jaybone in the crowd in Vegas last week!!

Food - I've eaten two helpings of Ms. Hux's curry this week! Damn, it's been a good week...

i'm finishing 'francis bacon: anatomy of an enigma'. brilliant representation of a brilliant painter

i've watched 'before night falls' twice this week. it's directed by julian schnabel and tells the rather disturbing story of the cuban poet reinaldo arenas. the visuals are spectacular.

last night tom made me grilled salmon with mixed greens on the side. and lots and lots of garlic. he had chicken breast. a quick and delicious meal.

hmm, i dont have time for real books anymore - someday Right now i'm trying to read the Richard Simmons Biography - "still hungry after all these years." Kindof interesting - he grew up in the French quarter in New Orleans but its dragging. (ha ha, did i say dragging?)

Video: I have been wickedly unimpressed with video offerings as of late - I will have to go back to Hedwig and the Angry Inch - if you havent seen it, you'll love it! (dragging is becoming a theme - good theme [big Grin] )

Meal: Lentil Curry - good fast and easy!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp butter

1 onion chopped

2 minced garlic cloves

2 tsp curry powder

1/2 cup water

4 large tomatoes (chopped / seeded)

19 oz. can lentils (drain & rinse)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar

sour cream or yogurt

1) Melt butter in a large saucepan set on med. heat. Add onion & garlic, sauté until softened, 'bout 5 min. Sprinkle with curry powder. Stir 2 min., then add water. Boil gently, uncovered and stirring often, until most of the liquid evaporates - 5-8 minutes.

2) When liquid evaporates, stir in lentils & tomatoes. Heat through. Add salt & sugar if desired.

Blend in sour cream before serving.

Put over rice or make a wrap

eat while in drag

1. Power of One, Bryce Courtney. Amazingly good book. Best book I've read in a long time. So many people told me, ' i read that book in grade eight' or something similar, but really took so much out of it now that i wouldn't of when i was younger.

2. minority report. i know it's cheesy, but i really thought it was so cool, like bobby cheesy if ya will.

3. life cereal

Book: "Ultimate Beer" by Michael Jackson (no, not that Michael Jackson!) - totally fascinating - like did you know there are 3 different kinds of Hoegaarden? Me either!

Movie: "Citizen Kane" DVD with the extra disc "The Battle Over Citizen Kane" documentary - fun to watch back-to-back if you're laid up, plus the narrator for the doc is Paul Stewart, the same guy who does "City Confidential" on A&E, so that just adds to the entertainment value!

Meal: When I'm laid up, I like to make my (mom's) famous chicken wing recipe which involves drenching the suckers in soya sauce, mustard, hot sauce to taste, a bit of ground pepper. Put 'em in the oven around 375 for about 15 minutes on each side, then blast 'em with the broiler for a few minutes, depending on how crispy you like 'em. Let 'em settle and cool for 5 minutes or so on top of the oven, grab a bottle of your favorite from the Jackson book, hit play on Citizen Kane, and you're turly ready to rock! (A recent variation I tried involved replacing the mustard with President's Choice Lemon Ginger sauce, that also worked quite well.)

Peace,

Mr. M.

Book: Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins. I've read other books since, but this was by far the best one. Any Tom Robbins is awsome for that matter.

Movie: American Grafitti. I just watched this two nights ago. Pretty good movie, not my favourite time period, but definetly the precursor to "Dazed and Confused".

Meal: Trevor's Sausage & Penne surpreme. I take some onions, green pepper, and hot peppers, cook that all up in some wine and olive oil etc... Add some spicey italian sausage, let that all mix up nicely, then toss in the penne. Yum!

Book: Running Towards a High Thin Sound, Judith Kranz - a great (but truly fecked up) book about a Jewish family with two lesbian sisters.

Movie: I just rewatched Hackers the other night. Yeah, I know, main stream but I can't get enough of Angelina Jolie in those leathers!

Meal: Had to be the sushi we rolled the other night! If nothing else, I was damn proud of myself that I managed to pull the whole thing off without poisoning enyone!

Funny, I just finished reading Tom Robbins "Skinny Legs and All" - great book and just in the middle of " The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield (it definately has a great effect on me)!

VHS: Amelie - foriegn french flick - great feel good story - highly recommend it.

Last great meal I cooked for myself..... greek salad and shrimp pad thai - however tonights curry dish that I'm cooking for my friend should be a hit! [Razz]

Archived