Jambands.ca

Dylan Fall tour includes Canadian dates

HaMike

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'll be around on Saturday and will try to hook-up with Ollie in the afternoon, so if you are around...?

There are a few record stores left downtown on Princess Street (one is Turks Furniture at 281 Princess near Clergy). There is a Sunrise on Princess too as well as the institution known as Brian's Record Option a few blocks north of Turks near Division Street (still on Princess). I believe there are a few more between Brian's and Turks.

sounds good, i will be with my gf and our friends paula and mike so i will have to see if they have anything planeed. We are staying at the holiday inn if you guys want to pre drink in our room. We will be nice and close then thinking of hitting on the bars close by. I think mike heard the tiraminog or something to that effect is a good place. thanks for the record shop advice. See you saturday.

The Tir Na Nog is a good place, but I'd consider The Merchant Tap House (right beside the Holiday Inn on lower Princess and the Toucan/St. Patrick's up a few blocks from your hotel on Princess. I think I may be at the Kingston Brew Pub after the show, which is on the other side of Tir Na Nog on Clarence Street, just north of Ontario.

It looks like this:

kbp8front.JPG

Last night was fantastic in the Soo. Be warned, there are absolutely no pictures allowed. Even though the tickets don't say no camera's, Bob has even stated that the press are not to take pics. I was lucky enough to get one nice shot from our seats in the front row before security jumped all over me about it.

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

2. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

3. Rollin' And Tumblin'

4. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob on guitar and harp)

5. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on harp)

6. Tryin' To Get To Heaven

7. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

(Bob on harp)

8. Blind Willie McTell

9. Honest With Me

10. I Believe In You (Bob on harp)

11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on guitar and harp)

12. When The Deal Goes Down

13. Thunder On The Mountain

14. Nettie Moore

15. Like A Rolling Stone

(encore)

16. All Along The Watchtower

17. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on harp)

Bob was all over the stage tonight. Picked up the guitar twice and thoroughly seemed to enjoy himself. His band is TOP NOTCH! What a great night.

looks like Bob is even playing a little guitar on this tour

In Victoria the only guitar we got was on "Just Like a Woman," which only happened because his organ had been malfunctioning throughout the show and he got fed up during that tune (funnily enough a tune with a rather distinct organ part) and stormed over to his guitar. Despite this, all of the setlists I've seen posted for the show have him playing guitar on "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35", which he definitely did not.

Edited by Guest

Last night in London, Ontario was the fourth time I have seen Bob Dylan invite Paul James to play guitar in his band. I must say that each and everyone of the times that James has guested with Dylan have ended up as some of my favorite Dylan concerts, last night included.

Of all the times James has guested with Dylan though this was the strangest time. This was mainly due to the fact that James came out with out Denny Freeman and Stu Kimball to be seen and stayed out there as the only guitarist for the first fiv songs. Raising the question in many Dylan fans minds whether or not Freeman and Kimball were going to come out at all at the John Labatt Centre.

At the Concert Hall (Masonic Temple) in Toronto on April 28, 1996 Paul James came out for "Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35" to close the concert. In Buffalo at the Marine Midland Arean (now HSBC) on Feburary 23, 1999 James guested on four of the last five songs of the night "Highway 61 Revisited," "Like a Rolling Stone," "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" and "Not Fade Away." And at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on November 8, 2001 James came out in the encore for "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Like a Rolling Stone."

Paul James shot life into Dylan and his Band for the first five songs and after his departure the show never recovered that edge and intensity that he brought to the stage. Yes there were sloppy moments especially on the 'Modern Times' material as well as Tony Garnier telling James the chord changes to end "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again." Yet I do not remember many times seeing Dylan visibly and audibly laughing into the microphone as witnessed during 'The Levee's Gonna Break" and James got huge reactions for his playing from the crowd up front last night.

It was also nice to see Bob come out in front of George Receli's drum kit with the harp mic for soloing on a handful of songs and pick up a Gibson ES 175 Sunburst for "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight."

I hope to see Paul James at GM Place in Oshawa tonight or Kingston on Saturday, if not I hope I at least get "Mississippi" I've only been waiting 7 years and 28 Dylan concerts since 'Love & Theft' came out to get that song live.

Bob Dylan & His Band

JLC

TUE NOV 11, 2008

Start time 7:49PM

1 Cat's in the Well (First 5 songs with Paul James on guitar with no Denny or Stu)

2 Love Minus Zero/No Limit (Dylan on harp)

3 The Levee's Gonna Break

4 Spirit on the Water (Dylan on harp and keys)

5 Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (Dylan on harp and keys)

6 Masters of War (Denny and Stu back on guitars no more Paul James)

7 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Dylan on keys and then electric guitar)

8 John Brown

9 Beyond the Horizon (Dylan on keys and harp)

10 Highway 61 Revisited

11 Shooting Star (Dylan on keys and harp)

12 It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

13 Under the Red Sky (Dylan on keys and harp)

14 Thunder On the Mountain

15 Ain't Talkin'

Encore: 16 Like a Rolling Stone

17 All Along the Watchtower

End time 9:43PM (Total time 1 hour and 53 minutes)

Where can I find live Dylan shows for DL Greg?

I would love to find it but I do not remember seeing any tapers.

I'd say the best site for live Dylan now-a-days is Hungercity.

http://www.hungercity.org

[color:red][edit to add]

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Essar Centre

November 9, 2008

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=3528

Edited by Guest

Hey Timmy, are you planning on staying over in Kingston? Some of us have tentative meet-up plans before and after the show. Nice mini-review by the way.

Hey Jaimoe,

Thanks. No I'm going to head home after the Kingston Dylan gig. Let me know where you are meeting up before the show.

Peace,

Tim