Jambands.ca

Marijauna is illegal again

paisley

quote:

Jean Chretien has vowed to decriminalize the drug in Canada as one of his final moves as Prime Minister. He’s scheduled to leave office in February.

hopefully that'll get switched back soon... federal liberals have wanted to decrim ever since trudeau was in power

Decrim is bad. It's always been a hassle to process and attempt to convict recreational users, but as soon as it's easy as a traffic ticket we're in trouble.

Prime example is the smokers bars popping up around the country. Right now when a cop walks by a bar with 100 smokers inside, what's he gonna do? Arrest them all, spend all night filling out forms so everyone can go through the expensive court system and get off? Yeah, right. With decrim, he'll just line them up and hand them each a ticket for $150. About a half-hour of ticket-writing, and the system makes $15,000.

If it's not decrimmed, you wouldn't see smoker bars....would you?

Also, you don't get speeding tickets every time you go over 100 on the 401.

You're pretty much 100% safe up to 120, and you're taking risks beyond that.

I'm sure they won't write out a ticket for every joint they smell, but at the same time if they do, how often are you around a cop with a joint?

To me, it's more about removing the stigma attached to it. People look at pot smokers as criminals. I'd rather feel safe on the street with a joint. It's kind of like drinking a beer on the way to a bar. You keep your beers out of site when their's are headlights coming but if you did get nailed with the beer, you could just toss it or get a fine....you wouldn't end up in court with a record.

I agree with bouche. I have had no problem in my ten or so years of smoking. Just don't be stupid and take precautions always. Go and hide in the alley to spark a bowl at setbreak, its half the fun! I've had many a memorable time sneaking around behind the MAN's back, and i'd much rather have a fine than a day in court that would cost way more than a 150$ fine.

definately, jaywalking is a finable offense as well and I've sure crossed a lot of streets in my day... if a cop has it in for you he'll always find something to charge you with

discretion is both simple and worthwhile (and it sometimes does feel like a good game of hide and seek)

I hope you all are right, but I have my doubts.

There are three smoker bars in Vancouver and one in Saint John that I know about, and they have been there since pot was all the way illegal. The Amsterdam situation came about by people opening up illegal bars and the gov't eventually threw up their hands and decided to just let it ride. Looked like things might go that way here too, but I just can't see it now that pot enforcment will be a money maker and not a money waster.

The reason not everybody gets a speeding ticket is 'cuz everybody on the 401 is speeding. If everybody walking down Bank Street was smoking a joint, I'd agree that they'd let us all keep walking.

Cops know where smokers congregate (like outside of bars), and they'll sweep down anytime they want. It will be a very easy cash grab.

Some (not all) cops just hate pot, and will make an effort to hassle smokers. Not many cops hate jaywalking.

The only good news here is now medical users are allowed to buy pot from people, and those pot suppliers will not be the gov't, and will be able to sell to as many people as they want. Watch somebody jump all over that and make a legal killing.

I'll be seeing my neurologist on Thursday to discuss treatment options (a follow-up for my head injury). This will be a subject I will discuss with her. Epilepsy is certainly on the list, although I don't have it as severe as some people.

Is that wrong of me to want to use medicinal pot for the one seizure I have every year or so? Some epileptics have seizures throughout every day of their lives. Am I taking advantage of it? Would I even qualify?

I firmly believe that pot has helped my epilepsy. It helps me relax when an aura appears and not panick, which can often induce the seizure. Since I started smoking pot about 6 years ago, I average about a seizure every year or year and a half as opposed to the 6-12 per year before. Whether this is directly related to THC, well who knows, but I believe it has something to do with it.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

hey ms. hux --- i think you should definitely tell your doc your experience with smoking. if epilepsy is on the list then it's totally reasonable that you get a prescription. i wouldn't feel bad at all about taking advantage ---- that's the point - it's a helpful herb and should be used to its full potential. those people who suffer seizures every day should be turned on to it too!

if it's not on the list, discuss it with your doc anyway. there has got to be a connection somewhere and if enough doctors have patients making the connection it will eventually be tested and added to the list.

good luck to you!!!!

Just heard the bad (yet expected) news on the CBC. For those not in the know, pot has been 100% legal in Ontario since July 2001. In February of 2003 a lawyer in Windsor brought this point up at a trial for a recreational user and the judge agreed, and since then it has been legal with precendence.

Well, the appeal just came up, and pot is now back on the controlled substances list. Hope y'all took advantage of enjoying the freedom, 'cuz it's over.

A court ruling that provides a victory for those who need medical marijuana has ironically re-instated the law prohibiting possession of small amounts of the drug for everyone else. The Ontario Court of Appeal ruled Tuesday that provisions governing the growth and distribution of the drug under the Marijuana Medical Access Regulations are unconstitutional.

The court agreed with an earlier January ruling that found the regulations forced those who qualified for the medicinal weed to either grow their own or buy it on the black market. The government didn’t like the idea of having to provide marijuana, even though it was forced to set up an interim program to do so. So it appealed the ruling – and lost.

“A scheme that authorizes possession of marijuana by seriously ill individuals but which drives some of them to the black market . . . undermines the rule of law and fails to create a constitutionally valid medical exemption to the criminal prohibition against marijuana,” reads a court summary of the reasons behind the ruling.

But there’s a side effect to the drug appeal. When it was originally challenged last January, Ontario Court Justice Sidney Lederman was forced to rule the law against the possession of small amounts of the drug was no longer valid. By fixing the legislation, the old rules are back in effect. And police can now legally charge you if they find the drug in your possession.

Those who need the weed are celebrating the victory. “Sick people now have the tools to take care of themselves better,” claims lawyer Alan Young. “It's not an ideal situation, but clearly the court had to do some damage control because, as everyone knows, we've had no law in Ontario for months.”

It’s unclear how long the new prohibitions against possession for non-medicinal users will be in place. Jean Chretien has vowed to decriminalize the drug in Canada as one of his final moves as Prime Minister. He’s scheduled to leave office in February.

Archived