Jambands.ca

NHL Playoffs 2009

badams

Especially Ottawa? Did you get that figure from the Ministry of pulling numbers out of your fucking ass?

Ottawa had better road attendance than Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. (but all are fairly similar numbers but seeing as you're being a douche by strangely singling out Ottawa I'll just stick with Ottawa having a better road attendance).

Ottawa also had better road attendance than Atlanta, Colorado, Phoenix, St.Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Carolina, Tampa and Florida.

Fucking stupid people on Fridays are my favorite.

(and I'm just busting your chops, you're not Roller after all)

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, is no one going to throw the fact Ottawa plays Toronto and Montreal multiple times, both having large arenas in my face....sigh, where's the hate?. I'm super bored.

Yes, I hear both the Air Canada Center and Bell Center were built to piss you off ;)

The NHL is a gate driven league that only works in certain markets. Give up on the HUGE natioanl television contract in the US... it's just not going to happen.

If you believe they can survive as things currently stand without some kind of additional revenue from a television contract then you might want to consult your family doctor because it appears as though you are becoming senile.

Yes, I hear both the Air Canada Center and Bell Center were built to piss you off

Not hateful enough but thanks.

I'm not against trying in the US market.

My boss and I talk about this all the time. I was saying a couple days ago that one of the huge complaints from the US was not being able to follow the puck. With a huge shift in the market to high definition and larger screens hockey is actually easier to watch these days. Maybe it's time for another push.

The NHL is a gate driven league that only works in certain markets. Give up on the HUGE natioanl television contract in the US... it's just not going to happen.

If you believe they can survive as things currently stand without some kind of additional revenue from a television contract then you might want to consult your family doctor because it appears as though you are becoming senile.

You are making assumptions that I think the league will stay this way. I don't at all. I think the only way the NHL survives and thrives is with less teams or expands into Europe. They might get a TV deal but nothing like any of the other sports. They also need to stop trying to save teams that are dead and bleeding money.

The salary cap is going to take a hit over the next few years. The NHL cannot afford to pay their players like athletes are paid in other leagues.

I LOVE hockey and I know the NHL will be around to watch. I don't care if it isn't considered one of the BIG leagues in North America. The NHL needs to realize that doesn't matter either.

Have 20 solid franchises. Develop a solid salary cap and any type of TV deals possible (more likely local than national) and be happy with the league product. True hockey fans will watch.

Quit pretending they are something they are not.

OK, so I fully admit that I went off half-cocked there and upon reflection (and research) what I spouted was not completely correct. Mea culpa. I hang my head in shame and will take my 2 mins in the penalty box. I got suckered absorbing misinformation from elsewhere. You'd think I worked for FOX News or something ;) Here are some numbers as reported by ESPN (although they just don't seem to reflect what is heard elsewhere in many cases).

You are making assumptions that I think the league will stay this way. I don't at all. I think the only way the NHL survives and thrives is with less teams or expands into Europe. They might get a TV deal but nothing like any of the other sports. They also need to stop trying to save teams that are dead and bleeding money.

The salary cap is going to take a hit over the next few years. The NHL cannot afford to pay their players like athletes are paid in other leagues.

I LOVE hockey and I know the NHL will be around to watch. I don't care if it isn't considered one of the BIG leagues in North America. The NHL needs to realize that doesn't matter either.

Have 20 solid franchises. Develop a solid salary cap and any type of TV deals possible (more likely local than national) and be happy with the league product. True hockey fans will watch.

Quit pretending they are something they are not.

Dude, great call. That's exactly how I feel.

Try explaining Badam's ideas to the current group of owners. Good luck with all of that.

I agree...

I think the first thing they need to do is STOP expansion for the time being. Then let teams survive on their own merits. If they can't survive or relocate let them die. I am betting we would see at least 8 teams in the league waste away over the next 10 years.

We know the strong teams in the US... Det... Bos... Chi will be ok. Will we really be sad to see Atl... Pho... Fla go?

A lot of these teams have been held up from expansion fees the league generated. They don't actually make money or don't have owners who will pay anything to keep them going. Day to day they suffer and are not healthy.

I know it's not an easy solution. The owners do not want to lose money and the players do not want to lose jobs but for the health of the league they might have to.

Sloth called it perfectly from my perspective. The possibility of league-wide exposure and prosperous times again are at the cusp. Might as well go for the tv contract now with the renewed interest and the plethora of young marketable stars.

Contraction now = utter stupidity.

This isnt the CFL.

Sloth called it perfectly from my perspective. The possibility of league-wide exposure and prosperous times again are at the cusp. Might as well go for the tv contract now with the renewed interest and the plethora of young marketable stars.

Contraction now = utter stupidity.

This isnt the CFL.

I agree they need to try and prosper from what we saw this year.

In the mid eighties the NHL was actually considered a better league and more popular then the NBA in the US. Then two guys came around named Bird and Johnson. Of course they were in two of the top 10 television markets in the US. Pittsburgh and Washington now rank 26th and 7th in the US.

They need to market the young stars but do you know who watches the young NHL stars in the US? It's kids in New York, Minnesota, Pennsylvania... Not Florida, Atlanta, Los Angeles. This league is divided in a way that none of the other big leagues are. It is just not a national sport in the US. Basketball and Baseball can be played all over the US and in many parts all year around. Football is a God.

So can all these great young stars help. Yes, I think they can but not to the extent the league may want. They are more likely to excite the current fan base and then maybe bring in a few new fans...

but hell they mine as well try with what they have :)

PS

It might help if Crosby and Malkin grew some personalities ;)

They need to market the young stars but do you know who watches the young NHL stars in the US? It's kids in New York, Minnesota, Pennsylvania... Not Florida, Atlanta, Los Angeles

Anaheim, San Jose and Dallas called. They wanted to point out it's the owners and management causing the failures in those other markets and not the product of hockey itself. We know how fast and wicked hockey is. Exposure is key.

It is just not a national sport in the US.

That doesnt mean it cant be.

It might help if Crosby and Malkin grew some personalities

It's probably directly proportional to their ability to grow facial hair.

C'mon Cindy, shave that thing. Sadly my shit talk has put me in a position to cheer for the Penguins but he looks like a fucking idiot and it's hard to cheer for him.

They need to market the young stars but do you know who watches the young NHL stars in the US? It's kids in New York' date=' Minnesota, Pennsylvania... Not Florida, Atlanta, Los Angeles[/quote']

Anaheim and Dallas called. They wanted to point out it's the owners and management causing the failures in those markets and not the product of hockey itself. We know how fast and wicked hockey is. Exposure is key.

It is just not a national sport in the US.

That doesnt mean it cant be.

I was just using a couple of examples. I wasn't preparing a break down of each and every team. Please see previous post where I mentioned if a team can survive on it's merit it should ;)

The idea of this glorious National TV contract in the US has been around for decades and all the NHL gets is small samplings. There is a reason for this. It is just not marketable in most areas. No matter how much we like it, a lot of the US doesn't. There are probably 100 reasons why but they just exist.

I would rather see a solid product with 20 or so solid franchises than a lot of the shit we've seen over the years...

that's right... I am looking right at you Habs!!! lol