Jambands.ca

NHL Playoffs 2009

badams

The McLean/Bettman interview was pretty good too. NHL franchises are like Tim Horton's or McDonald's franchises. You can't just go bankrupt as an owner and sell it because you don't "own" it.

Seriously, I always enjoy those interviews.

I hope Bettman finally brought it home for those who saw it. Buying a team and moving it to whichever city you wanted would create anarchy and the league would be completely unstable. There would be no vision whatsoever.

Imagine that, running a business.........

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and EVERY YEAR since 2002 there has been a Canadian franchise in the Cup Final (Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa). Now, we have two American franchises in and the ratings go up! Hmmmmm. Wonder why Bettman and the owners don't want any more Canadian based teams?

This is what I meant to convey a couple of weeks back when I mistaking wrote that Canadian teams are the worst draw on the road in the States. That was wrong, but what it related to was the TV draw. Americans want to watch American teams battle. They lose interest as soon as it's a Canadian team is involved. This happened when the Jays were in the World Series too. It would be the same if the Raptors ever went anywhere in the playoffs too. (Have you seen how they cover the Olympics?! You'd barely know there were other countries involved )

American networks know this and that's why they are staying away from signing any lucrative contract with the League. Could you imagine if two Canadian franchises made it to the Final?!

Edited by Guest

Check out the last 13 years. Bottom 3 in US viewership involve Canadian teams.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/22/nhl-stanley-cup-finals-tv-ratings-1995-2008/19333

nhlstanleycup2008.gif

Last years Pittsburgh Penguins v. Detroit Redwings marquis “Original 6″ match up produced the best NHL Stanley Cup Finals ratings in 6 years, breaking the recent sharp downward trend. That matchup would happen again this season, and a six or seven game series could provide another uptick.

Full Data for NHL Stanley Cup Finals Ratings, 1995-2008

Year Net Games HH Rating HH Share Avg. HHs (million) Avg. Viewers (million) Teams

2008 NBC/VS 6 2.6 5 2.929 4.479 Pittsburgh vs. Detroit

2007 NBC/VS 5 1.2 2 1.307 1.764 Ottawa vs. Anaheim

2006 NBC/OLN** 7 1.8 3 1.994 2.834 Carolina vs, Edmonton

2005 NHL Season Cancelled

2004 *ABC/ESPN 7 2.2 4 2.366 3.286 Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Calgary Flames

2003 *ABC/ESPN 7 2.4 4 2.557 3.627 New Jersey Devils vs. Anaheim Ducks

2002 ABC 3 3.6 7 3.815 5.768 Detroit Red Wings vs. Carolina Hurricanes

2001 ABC 5 3.3 6 3.371 5.058 Colorado Avalanche vs. New Jersey Devils

2000 ABC 4 3.7 8 3.734 5.511 New Jersey Devils vs. Dallas Stars

1999 FOX 3 3.4 6 3.379 4.873 Dallas Stars vs. Buffalo Sabres

1998 FOX 1 3.3 6 3.230 4.830 Detroit Red Wings vs. Washington Capitals

1997 FOX 1 4.0 8 3.930 6.370 Detroit Red Wings vs. Philadelphia Flyers

1996 FOX 2 3.6 7 3.430 5.090 Colorado Avalanche vs. Florida Panthers

1995 FOX 2 3.4 8 3.254 5.210 New Jersey Devils vs. Detroit Red Wings

*ABC had 5 telecasts & ESPN had 2 telecasts so this is the combined average of both networks.

**NBC had 5 telecasts & OLN had 2 telecasts so this is the combined average of both networks.

Data for 2006-8 is Live+SD, all previous years is Live viewing.

Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2009 Nielsen Media Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by Guest

Bottom 3 in US viewership involve Canadian teams.

Yes, we all see the brush you are using to paint this canvas but what do you think would happen if MTL or TOR were in the finals?

Actually, do that. Post the ratings for the Kings-Canadiens in 1993. I'm curious.

Booche,

Just showing the numbers/trend that i found from Nielson ratings. Seems those numbers are up in a couple of sites, however, I can't find any more earlier than that.

The best I could find to your request for US ratings for MTL v LA in 1993 (when they won it i was in a private box with some Detroit fans at the Palace whopping it up as Jerry and the boys were encoring "Liberty" ) was a post with the ratings for LA v TOR:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090414205531AA5zN9G

Sadly, the highest viewer total for a game in last year's playoffs on NBC was 2.3MM people (which is slightly more than watched on ESPN/ABC prior to the lockout)

Game #6 last year had 2.6MM viewers on CBC, and 2.3MM on NBC (Detroit/Pittsburgh)

Game #5 in 2007 had 2.6MM viewers on CBC, and 2.1MM on NBC (Ottawa/Anaheim)

Game #7 in 2006 had 2.5MM viewers on CBC, and 1.4MM on NBC (Edmonton/Carolina)

Game #7 between Toronto and Los Angeles in 1993 generated 1.1MM viewers on ESPN2 and 3.98MM on CBC, the most people to ever watch a hockey game in Canada.

Edited by Guest

Time for the Pens to show if they can bounce back again. For some reason, I've got the feeling this is going to be decided in the first 10mins of the game.

Imagine, winning back to back Cups in the SAME visotor's arena. If it happens, the Pens sure will be glad to get rid of the Igloo :P

I love hockey but the season drags on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

I agree, the 82 game NHL season is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, filled with bland, meaningless, and inconsequetial games. The playoffs on the other hand, love it, wish they stretched until NFL pre-season.