Jambands.ca

NHL Playoffs 2009

badams

Guest Low Roller

Booche, you're giving this MBA student a big chubby.

Edited by Low Roller
for decency's sake

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this is going to have to be put into terms that Kanada Kev will understand. The rest of you can look away if you want.

Now Kev, I am applying as much patience as I can here and a part of me would like to thank you for that because you are certainly testing me. Why dont you arrest me?

Lessons From The Dead My Friend:

1 - Know Thy Customer Intimately and Create a Product That Fills a Need

"Let it grow, greatly yield..."

I think it is safe to assume the NHL does. As stated earlier, Canadian fans are going to watch no matter what.

2 - Create a Community

"When there was no ear to hear, you sang to me..."

Again, they have been implementing a grassroots movement for years to varying degrees of success but I think we can all assume it has worked in many markets. The US can field a formidable opponent.

3 - Make Quality Job One

"Built to last while the years roll past..."

For arguments sake, lets acknowledge how fantastic the product is since its return from the lockout.

4 - Extend the Brand

"The Golden Road (to unlimited devotion)"

One can never stand still. If you dont move forward you go backwards. Think about this. Without said business philosophy you and I would NEVER have seen The Grateful Dead.

How many venues did they get banned from but kept moving forward? If they quit trying new markets/arenas, the band would have contracted.

Edit to add: A rant starts here.

Now one can argue that this began to happen in the 90's, yes. But what did that bring about? Violence, death, fake drugs, a loss of ideals, all that negative shit we witnessed. I would prefer not to get into it but in the context of said discussion it's obvious it should be left for another day (so PLEASE do not quote me on any of this right now) but do you honestly believe The Grateful Dead could have continued as you and I knew it before Jerry died?

To this I say, ouroboros. It was happening before our very eyes. Hell, didnt Sloth lay underneath a vehicle at RFK for a couple of hours or something?

Sorry for getting offtrack.

5 - Find New Distribution Channels

"I will survive..."

Booche that was a thing of beauty. Thank you for taking the time to create it! The Dead analogies kick-ass. You definitely earned a beer or three from me for composing that!

I understand and comprehend that this is the way it is. I was just a little cranky the last couple of days :P

I was dreaming of a high-talent league that provides hockey much like these playoffs on a more consistent basis day in and day out. My fear of the ever-expanding and diluted league will mean more dark days to come.

Now the sun is shining, hockey's on tonight and it's Jack's birthday party. Time to stretch for some intense 3-on3 road hockey all afternoon and then some swimming ;)

Thanks again Booche ;)

Edited by Guest

Pierre McGuire PROMISED no afternoon games this morning on The Team. It must be true.

Sunday, 8pm

He calls games for NBC you know.....McGuire'd.

Besides, did you really expect anything different? An afternoon game following an evening one? Self-righteous indignation I tells ya.

Stanley Cup TV ratings take a tumble in U.S.

DETROIT – U.S. television ratings for Game 1 of the Red Wings-Penguins Stanley Cup final rematch were down from last year's levels.

The NBC telecast drew a 2.6 rating and a 5 share. That's compared with a four-game NBC average of a 3.2 rating and a 6 share one year ago.

Detroit beat Pittsburgh 3-1 in Saturday night's Game 1 and won the Cup over the Pens in six games in 2008.

[color:purple]Surprise Surprise ;)

They got prime time Sat and Sun and still plummet? And could you imagine if there was a Canadian franchise in the final and what that would do to the ratings in the US?!

Weird two games. Goals have been pretty ugly for the most part. The Pens had a chance to take either one of those games too. For the sake of the series I really hope that Pittsburgh can pull a win out tomorrow night.

What about Malkin at the end of the game last night.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280536

malkin_83255.jpg

So, after the game is over they take away the 2-min Instigator Penalty that they originally gave him. Why? Wouldn't want to have to suspend a star player in the final.

Why does Malkin not get a one game suspension, yet if it was the regular season he probably would have. What if it was another player with less lustre like a 4th liner or something?

I saw a posting that showed a second way that Malkin should receive a suspension under the League rules:

RULE 47.12 Instigator in Final Five Minutes states the instigator shall receive a GAME MISCONDUCT. Then RULE 47.13 States a player who engages in a fight and whose jersey is not properly “tied-down†shall receive a GAME MISCONDUCT. Double Game Misconducts for Malkin should equal a 1-Game Suspension.

Interesting. All players are not created/treated equal (yes, I know it's been this way for a long time).

blind-justice.gif

Edited by Guest

Why does Malkin not get a one game suspension, yet if it was the regular season he probably would have. What if it was another player with less lustre like a 4th liner or something?

Yeah, what if it was Scott Walker of the Hurricanes? Oh. He had his penalty taken away too. [color:purple]Damn star players.

As well as he's played, I get the feeling that MA Fleury is one of those guys who will never win the big game. I could be wrong... but I keep remembering his World Junior gold medal games. Something always goes wrong for the guy.

The 3rd goal last night was weak sauce. He should have had that.......

As for the less than pretty goals, there was a good point made last night by one of the commentators that both teams are so strong defensively, that both goalies are playing well- so it stands to reason that most of the goals have been of the garbage variety.

I do have to give props to Osgood. He ain't out of this world but he does what he needs to do (9-1 at home, GAA of 1.59 and SP of .952).

He ain't out of this world but he does what he needs to do (9-1 at home, GAA of 1.59 and SP of .952).

What is wrong with you? How are those stats NOT out of this world??????

Osgood for Conn Smythe unless there is some kind of monumental breakdown.

The stats are out of this world, but he is playing for a great team. To go back to my earlier post about great defenses: he isn't making many spectacular saves, he is just making what is tossed at him.

He isn't the worlds best goaltender, but the combination of their d, scoring and his tending make for a wonderful trifecta of hockey dominance.

I love the Red Wings.

To go back to my earlier post about great defenses: he isn't making many spectacular saves, he is just making what is tossed at him.

He's rarely caught when he has to be acrobatic. Positionally sound.

I dont think I can return to this thread.

I lied, I am back but that is only because NW is on the road until the end of this series so I dont have to read his ludicrous statements.

Anyways, if you are wondering about the tactical aspects to Pittsburgh game last night I can show you right here:

6_skaters.JPG

6-man Pens :)

Yup, they got away with that goof for about 10 seconds. Amazing it wasn't caught. Mind you, there have been some really sloppy line changes throughout this series so far for both teams. Loved it when they showed it after the game last night and the 6th man slipped back on the bench trying not to be noticed :D