Jambands.ca

NHL Playoffs 2009

badams

Guest Low Roller

The power of good management is clearly demonstrated with the Blackhawks franchise. For decades it languished under an out-of-touch owner who did not believe in having home games on local TV. Attendance was terrible and ESPN named the Blackhawks "the Worst Franchise in Sports" in 2004 (source). Once "Dollar" Bill Wirtz passed on before the 2007-2008 season his son took over, and immediately got a TV deal for the club and began reviving the franchise. Two seasons later and the team was playing in the semi-finals with a rabid fanbase cheering them on.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course a smaller allotment of teams is going to make for much better entertainment. Hell, why dont we just go with your argument and go back the original 6.

The reality is finding ways to increase revenue, especially considering the point everyone is expecting the salary cap to decrease after this season. The NHL cannot continue to grow (or even stabalize for that matter) without additional streams of cash. Fact.

Where's it going to come from?

Guest Low Roller
Where's it going to come from?

Is it going to come from breasts? PLEASE tell me it's going to come from breasts.

anderson-ice-girls.jpg

Edited by Low Roller

I'm just killing time here and talking massive shit but one could argue that contraction would also free up talent for upstart leagues such as the KHL who could then in turn improve their product and come back to haunt the NHL.

Shit... they better boost the NHL to 50 teams.

Of course a smaller allotment of teams is going to make for much better entertainment. Hell, why dont we just go with your argument and go back the original 6.

Be reasonable, not drastic ;)

The reality is finding ways to increase revenue, especially considering the point everyone is expecting the salary cap to decrease after this season. The NHL cannot continue to grow (or even stabalize for that matter) without additional streams of cash. Fact.

Yes, they are always looking for more money to earn. Additional streams of cash will allow the League to continue to support the failing franchises that are failing at increasing the fan base that provides for the added streams of cash. When they do get more money, the salaries all go up with it. Where/when does the net gain kick-in? Along the way the ticket prices will continue to rise and alienate even more fans (especially when they look to gouge viewers yet again to see the games on the TV channels they get their contract with).

Trim some fat, improve product/talent, better game on average, more fan enjoyment = open wallets.

I understand where you're coming from, and that this most likely won't happen anytime soon, I just think it would be a healthier way to keep the game at the level it should be.

I hear you....in regards to the beer. I'm sticking with not contracting.

Contracting to me is forcing teams out. I am not saying that. I am more survival of the fittest. If a team is financially stable that's great but when the league needs to continually prop them up then they should be let to die.

Especially when the league DOES NOT have the revenue from a large US televiaion network to use in assisting such teams.

Yes, they are always looking for more money to earn. Additional streams of cash will allow the League to continue to support the failing franchises that are failing at increasing the fan base that provides for the added streams of cash. When they do get more money, the salaries all go up with it. Where/when does the net gain kick-in? Along the way the ticket prices will continue to rise and alienate even more fans (especially when they look to gouge viewers yet again to see the games on the TV channels they get their contract with).

Welcome to the business of professional sports.

Yeah I understand your point.

Ultimately I feel the NHL might always be in a position to have to financially support some team at some point but I guess I've got my fingers crossed that it will be cyclical, that Phoenix (or whoever) won't always be down, that if they get a winning team in place they can get out of the red and be in a position to contribute to the league.

Like Booche said, if Dallas and Anaheim can do it, or even the standing fans of Carolina then it can be done elsewhere. Any franchise that goes on a decade garbage skid (excluding the perpetually crappy Leaves) might end up struggling. The league has a mechanism to compensate.

Hey Badams, are you getting that nostalgic 'back in the Toys R Us truck bay' feeling? You and I, arguing whatever bullshitoftheday with you taking the polar opposite opinion of mine just because that's what you always do?

I suspect one of the only differences is that neither of us are hungover.

If a team is financially stable that's great but when the league needs to continually prop them up then they should be let to die.

Welcome to professional sports. Where have you been the past 30 years?

I can say the same thing to you with your idea of a National US Television cotract.

Hey Badams, are you getting that nostalgic 'back in the Toys R Us truck bay' feeling? You and I, arguing whatever bullshitoftheday with you taking the polar opposite opinion of mine just because that's what you always do?

I suspect one of the only differences is that neither of us are hungover.

Yes, I like to argue/debate :)

Yes, I am not hungover

I still say Todd Marinovich will never make it ;)

Ahhhh I miss the truck bay.

NHL Stanley Cup Finals Playoffs this SUNDAY?!?!

The time that it's on (afternoon or evening) is all dependent upon the outcome of the NBA game tonight!!!

It'll be less than 48hrs before gametime when the teams involved and hockey fans will know when Game 2 will air.

Yup, NBC will be ready to put the NHL playoffs up against the NBA playoffs ... sure!

I guess if Denver wins then we get Prime Time hockey.

If the Lakers win, we get sunny, summertime, afternoon hockey from HockeyTown :(

It's not even as if NBC is airing the basketball, they just don't want to be up against the NBA on ABC. (I think they just don't want to be up against the Simpsons and Family Guy :P )

Obviously this is going to have to be put into terms that Kanada Kev will understand. The rest of you can look away if you want.

Now Kev, I am applying as much patience as I can here and a part of me would like to thank you for that because you are certainly testing me. Why dont you arrest me?

Lessons From The Dead My Friend:

1 - Know Thy Customer Intimately and Create a Product That Fills a Need

"Let it grow, greatly yield..."

I think it is safe to assume the NHL does. As stated earlier, Canadian fans are going to watch no matter what.

2 - Create a Community

"When there was no ear to hear, you sang to me..."

Again, they have been implementing a grassroots movement for years to varying degrees of success but I think we can all assume it has worked in many markets. The US can field a formidable opponent.

3 - Make Quality Job One

"Built to last while the years roll past..."

For arguments sake, lets acknowledge how fantastic the product is since its return from the lockout.

4 - Extend the Brand

"The Golden Road (to unlimited devotion)"

One can never stand still. If you dont move forward you go backwards. Think about this. Without said business philosophy you and I would NEVER have seen The Grateful Dead.

How many venues did they get banned from but kept moving forward? If they quit trying new markets/arenas, the band would have contracted.

Edit to add: A rant starts here.

Now one can argue that this began to happen in the 90's, yes. But what did that bring about? Violence, death, fake drugs, a loss of ideals, all that negative shit we witnessed. I would prefer not to get into it but in the context of said discussion it's obvious it should be left for another day (so PLEASE do not quote me on any of this right now) but do you honestly believe The Grateful Dead could have continued as you and I knew it before Jerry died?

To this I say, ouroboros. It was happening before our very eyes. Hell, didnt Sloth lay underneath a vehicle at RFK for a couple of hours or something?

Sorry for getting offtrack.

5 - Find New Distribution Channels

"I will survive..."

Edited by Guest
Precious got the better of me.