Jambands.ca

Breakfast joints in Ottawa

DevO

Recommend to me some good breakfast spots! Especially beyond the greasy spoons would be appreciated. Where are those hidden gems? I'd love a good breakfast, something fresh tasting with a little TLC put into it. I'm hungrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

kevO - there is a thread about this in the food forum - i'll try to find it for you! there are lots of good brekkie places :)

to start: jak's kitchen on bronson & macleod is great and usually there is little to no waiting.

edit: nevermind! ollie is on it :)

Edited by Guest

Sorry - I gotta call out BradM on this - Elgin Street Diner and Cora's are shite, don't bother. Overpriced, blech, too greasy (ESD), very busy, rude (at Cora's), ug.

My favourite is The Manx. Jak's is good but every time I go there it's a really long wait - Meggo must have a better breakfast strategy than me! Stoneface Dolly's is always very good. The Imperial has a great breakfast now, and you could probably get there from your place with your eyes closed, Kev. The Pump is decent but I think a bit overpriced.

Lots of places in the Glebe - see this thread from OttawaFoodies for Glebe ideas (There is one really good post from some guy who goes by AD)

i've been to the manx twice and enjoyed the choices, presentation, and taste each time.

my most frequented and favourite non-greasy spoon would be stone-faced dollies. Ask for bob and say hi!

my favourite greasy-spoon = Melo's (on dalhousie).

don't forget to hit up chinatown for dimsum! Chu Shing or Yangtzee on somerset.

We went to Jak's, the verdict is it was delicious! No wait, not super busy, we got a beauty table out on the patio. I had the standard eggs benny and the hollandaise sauce was fresh, homemade, poached eggs done perfectly, nice thick slice of ham on there too. Good homefries - straight up diced potatoes (not from frozen), deep fried, kind of sweet tasting. Good side salad with balsamic vinagrette. Kick ass delicious locally made hot sauce on the table to accompany. Cost $13 with coffee. TWO THUMBS UP! Thanks Meggo!

Definitely going to hit up Stoneface Dolly's the next time someone is visiting us who has a car and will drive us there.. Or when Colleen gets herself a bike which should be soon.

Thanks for the dim sum recommendation too Bouche, duly noted.

I want to elaborate on the breakfast at The Imperial

I went again today. I had the Meat breakfast - 2 eggs, as you like them, double smoked bacon, grilled ham and house sausage. Each breakfast also comes with the following: roasted tomato Provençal, sautéed mushrooms, breakfast potatoes and buttered grilled baguette.

Man it's good. There is also a Vegetarian and a Vegan option. All for the price of $10.75 which includes coffee or tea. Weekends from 10-2.

It was soo good.